AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just set up my brand new Replaytv 5040 and I am excited.

So far there are 3 things I am concerned about.

1. IR Blaster, I know there is nothing I can do about it but it is SLOW.

2. Picture Quality, what can I do about this? I am using component cables but the signal is noticeably worse than my regular digital cable.

3. Every time I change channels a blue screen comes up that says "No Signal Detected" and then it changes channels and comes back to TV. Is there anything I can do about this?

Hopefully I won't be flamed bc of these questions. Thanks a lot!

· Registered
2,670 Posts
For Picture Quality, you can set the default quality to be medium or high if standard (the lowest quality) isn't good enough. Also, as you set up a record, you can go to more options (I assume you have a 5XXX) that allow you to choose which quality setting you wish to have that individual show recorded at.

After you use your Replay for a while, you will use it to browse the channel guide for shows to record more than to channel surf, so the temporary blue screen will be less annoying.

Enjoy,

Tim

· Registered
181 Posts
Try boosting your color a bit and try s-video instead of component, it can actually look BETTER in many cases...

ash =o)

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mandingo
I agree about using s-video instead of component - on a decent display component shows up all the mpeg artifacts whereas s-video smooths it out nicely.
Composite should "smooth out" but s-video shouldn't do much of a blur, and component is just s-video clarity to the next level. The trick with component on the replay is the decomb/deinterlace filter on the replay to go to a progressive signal.

Regardless you should try all output and pick the one that works best fer you. =)

· Registered
182 Posts
My experience with RTV5080 component-out to my Panasonic PWD-5UY (42" plasma) was that I could see every mpeg "chunk" that made up the image.

For example in an image with diagonal lines it produced a "stair step"aliased effect that was noticable from 10 feet away. Turning down sharpness on the plasma didn't soften the effect enough. It bothered me.

So I went down to s-video and this effect was greatly diminished/absent.

Maybe I got a crappy 5k box but the difference was clear to me.

I have another 5k unit coming today - I'll see if the picture quality is any dfferent on that one.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Mandingo, I think the problem you are seeing with stuff like the stair stepping is due to the replay doing the deinterlacing. The decomb filter on the plasma setup should be much better and apparently is. Be sure to turn the "YPrPb" output back to off or the replay will still be messing with the signal!

· Registered
182 Posts
Thanks Jeff.

I always switch it back to off after experimenting (even though it requires a reboot).

My second RTV5k that arrived yesterday has exactly the same picture quality so I'm pretty sure this is "as good as it gets".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.