AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new DTV user, and I've got some setup questions. I have a Sony KV-32HV600 TV, and a Samsung 160 sat/ota receiver.

I'm using the DVI input to the tv.

The problem I'm having, I think, is the TV's "Auto 16:9 Enhanced Mode". It seems that whenever the tv detects a digital signal (basically everything through the DVI connection), it puts the picture in 16:9 mode. So, the majority of the OTA programs are displayed in a small picture in the center (with black bars around the top and sides). Using the receiver's zoom feature doesn't fix this.

To get around this, I have to either flip the switch on the back of the receiver to 480, or run one of the other video outputs through my stereo receiver and switch to a non-dvi input on the tv.

Would the Sony HD200 with its "aspect ratio management" that automatically switches between 4:3 and 16:9 be a better match for this tv? Or would it be just a better overall receiver?

Thanks in advance,

David

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Since you're referring to Sony's 16:9 Enhanced mode, I assume your TV is 4:3 like my Sony KP-43HT20. If this is the case, I believe there's no way to override 16:9 Enhanced mode. It will give you a letterboxed picture (horizontal bars top and bottom) on all material coming into the TV from the component and DVI inputs, either HD or upconverted SD.

Your also seeing picture framing which is typical of SD material being broadcast on an HD channel. You can try to zoom or crop on the TVs controas or on the STBs controls (this may or may not work), but even if it does work, you may lose part of the picture this way. Your best bet is to watch non HD material on the alternate analog channel via s-video connection or watch the HD channel in SD via s-video connection that way you'll have the most control possible of the aspect ratio.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Don't know the exact details of the various zoom modes on the equipment, but one point to remember. The digital channels ARE 16:9 - not just the HDTV ones, most (all??) digital stations add the black side bars to the 4:3 picture and send a 16:9 picture. So as far as the TV is concerned the signal is 16:9, it has no way of knowing that the original is 4:3. And the STB is upconverting to 1080i.

Most TVs will not let you use the picture aspect controls on a 1080i signal anyway. So what most people do is connect the STB via both the component/DVI connector AND s-video. Then if they want to watch a program that is 4:3 they switch to the s-video input. With many STBs (don't know about yours, but I seem to remember it may have both outputs active) only one stb output is active at one time so you have to switch the stb output also. This is painful if you have to use two separate remotes but really easy if you use a programmable universal remote.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by texasbrit
Don't know the exact details of the various zoom modes on the equipment, but one point to remember. The digital channels ARE 16:9 - not just the HDTV ones, most (all??) digital stations add the black side bars to the 4:3 picture and send a 16:9 picture. So as far as the TV is concerned the signal is 16:9, it has no way of knowing that the original is 4:3. And the STB is upconverting to 1080i.

Most TVs will not let you use the picture aspect controls on a 1080i signal anyway. So what most people do is connect the STB via both the component/DVI connector AND s-video. Then if they want to watch a program that is 4:3 they switch to the s-video input. With many STBs (don't know about yours, but I seem to remember it may have both outputs active) only one stb output is active at one time so you have to switch the stb output also. This is painful if you have to use two separate remotes but really easy if you use a programmable universal remote.
I would venture to say that there are many more digital chanels across the country that are broacating 4 X 3 vs 16 X 9. I know in my area only three actually do 16 X 9.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Only the HD and FAUX 480p are 16:9, all other SD digital channels are 4:3. Some stations will send out their SD programming in a 16:9 frame. For instance, my local CBS has sub channel 1 as their HD station & it is always in a 16:9 format with SD material showing up in the 16:9 window as a 4:3 image. Their sub channel 2 & 3 are 4:3 SD broadcasts.

ABC only has one channel and it is in 14:9 format in a 16:9 window for SD material.

NBC does the same for it's HD channel but it's second sub channel is 4:3 SD.

Fox has 2 channels with one showing 4:3 and the other showing the 16:9 when available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your replies! It's great to be able to go to a forum like this to get the answers I need. I ended up returning my Samsung receiver and getting the Sony HD200. It's able to switch output modes from the remote, so that completely solves my problem.

Thanks again,

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.