AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have connected my DVD player via HDMI and component to my Panasonic AX100 projector.

I noticed that the image looks much better by using the component cable.

With HDMI connected, the shadows are too dark, sometimes makes it impossible to see a face clearly, or small details.

If I increase brightness, the black become gray, and if I increase contrast, black is black again, but the colors are just not natural.

Also, the picture is sharper by using component cable.

I thought HDMI would give me a better, clearer image?

Is that normal or do I need a proper calibration DVD to have a good HDMI picture?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by softtouch_ph /forum/post/14195132

I need a proper calibration DVD to have a good HDMI picture?

Yes.

The HDMI input on your projector is calibrated separately from the component input.

For a quick fix, use the THX Optimizer found on all THX DVDs to establish your brightness and contrast settings. That will take care of the crushed blacks.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If your image looks better stretched across a big screen with component than HDMI then something is wrong - no question about it.

The added image resolution from a good up converting dvd player fed to a projector via HDMI link is significantly improved over the component delivery of 480p resolution.

I am not a techno-phobe and have never had to make any calibration adjustments when I bought our up converting Sony dvd player - just connected and went WOW at the significantly visible improvement of up conversion.

I'm sure the techno-people will get you squared away soon on this forum.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/14196599

If your image looks better stretched across a big screen with component than HDMI then something is wrong - no question about it.

The added image resolution from a good up converting dvd player fed to a projector via HDMI link is significantly improved over the component delivery of 480p resolution.

I am not a techno-phobe and have never had to make any calibration adjustments when I bought our up converting Sony dvd player - just connected and went WOW at the significantly visible improvement of up conversion.

I'm sure the techno-people will get you squared away soon on this forum.

I do not understand it. I set the dvd player to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and the quality did not change. The projector reported 720p/60 and 1080p/60 etc., so he got the right signal.

Both, the component and the hdmi are 25 ft. long.

Switching to component on the projector, and the image is much clearer, more sharpness. I don't get it...

Same cable and dvd player, connected to my LCD tv, shows me a brilliant image, clear and sharp.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by softtouch_ph /forum/post/14195132

I have connected my DVD player via HDMI and component to my Panasonic AX100 projector.

I noticed that the image looks much better by using the component cable.

With HDMI connected, the shadows are too dark, sometimes makes it impossible to see a face clearly, or small details.

If I increase brightness, the black become gray, and if I increase contrast, black is black again, but the colors are just not natural.

Also, the picture is sharper by using component cable.

I thought HDMI would give me a better, clearer image?

Is that normal or do I need a proper calibration DVD to have a good HDMI picture?

What model is your dvd player? Some players have very poor HDMI implementations.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/14197209

What model is your dvd player? Some players have very poor HDMI implementations.

Its just a cheap Pioneer DV-400V-S.

But when I connect the player to my LCD TV, the picture is perfect. Same cable, same player.

I just downloaded the GetGray calibration disc and hope that will help me a little.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You probably need monster cable to make sure you get better resolution, color, contrast........(
waaaiiiitt for iiiiittttt......)

(don't buy monster cable. seriously.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain /forum/post/14201784

maybe the hdmi port is messed up? just a thought.

I don't think so.

The same cable, with the same dvd player, works fine when connected to the LCD TV.

I think, I just have to calibrate it anyhow. Unfortunately, the DVE or avia calibration disc's are not available in my country. And they are not available as order and download... I downloaded the getgray disc, will see if that helps me.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by softtouch_ph /forum/post/14202564

I don't think so.

The same cable, with the same dvd player, works fine when connected to the LCD TV.

I think, I just have to calibrate it anyhow. Unfortunately, the DVE or avia calibration disc's are not available in my country. And they are not available as order and download... I downloaded the getgray disc, will see if that helps me.

I think the problem is the settings are different for each input. Go look at the settings when in component (write them down) and then switch to HDMI and look at the settings. You could always do a factory reset and then compare the image.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I think your problem is distance. Above 15' component video out performs HDMI. Try a HDMI amp ,they sell them on fleabay for about 30 to 50 bucks.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 /forum/post/0

Above 15' component video out performs HDMI.

This is nonsense!

HDMI is a digital signal; component is analog.

As cable length increases or cable quality decreases, component signals will degrade proportionally.

In the same circumstances, HDMI signals will be perfect and then will develop 'sparkles' briefly, just before quitting altogether. It is generally accurate to say that a DVI/HDMI cable either works perfectly or not at all.

So, unless the OP is experiencing 'sparkles' and complete dropouts ('black screen'), the distance has nothing to do with his problem!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No "sparkles" etc.

Same cable works 100% find when connected to my LCD TV (same cable and DVD player).

I don't know what's wrong. Maybe the projector is bad (its almost new, just 60h now on the lamp), barely used at all. But here in the country where I live, its hard to return. It will take long for a new...

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Isn't Digital Just Better?

It is often supposed by writers on this subject that "digital is better." Digital signal transfer, it is assumed, is error-free, while analog signals are always subject to some amount of degradation and information loss. There is an element of truth to this argument, but it tends to fly in the face of real-world considerations. First, there is no reason why any perceptible degradation of an analog component video signal should occur even over rather substantial distances; the maximum runs in home theater installations do not present a challenge for analog cabling built to professional standards. Second, it is a flawed assumption to suppose that digital signal handling is always error-free. DVI and HDMI signals aren't subject to error correction; once information is lost, it's lost for good. That is not a consideration with well-made cable over short distances, but can easily become a factor at distance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can not get it to produce a proper nice image, when using HDMI. I even bought a calibration disk. I guess, I will just switch back to component.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 /forum/post/14212497

I think your problem is distance. Above 15' component video out performs HDMI. Try a HDMI amp ,they sell them on fleabay for about 30 to 50 bucks.

I have some ocean front property in Utah I'd like to sell you. Also some 6' ethernet cables at a steal for $500. Even have a few leftover "special copper" power cords, only $1k each!

Digital is Digital. It's either there or not. Weak signal will/can happen, resulting in no picture (or digital artifacts if not using an HDCP source). Component can degrade just as easily. It's not the signal type, it's signal strength.

Not to mention i have the 50ft monoprice (24AWG) running from an HDMI switcher (not an amp per-se but it is an active switcher) to my projector... NEVER a problem... Component on the other hand, unfortunately i have to run parallel to my home electrical wiring chaseway. I get sawtooth and crap all over because of the interference (and yes i'm using the RG6Quad stuff)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts