AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is concerned that a Dalite Model B pull-down will not look as good in our theater room as the Parkland Plastic fixed DIY screen I built.

Does anyone have photos or links to a photo of a Pull Down / Model B set up in a room that I can show her? I am not talking about screen shots in a dark room, but actually how the screen looks when the projector is off and the lights are on.

Also, if anyone has gone from a fixed to a pull down and can comment on the "aesthetics" of the pull down it would be appreciated. I am looking at the Model B due to cost considerations and would just leave the screen pulled down all the time as it is a dedicated room.

Thanks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to see this too.

60 lbs for a screen?!:eek:

·
Registered
697 Posts
You can have a look at my Model B HERE

The Model C weighs in around 60 pounds. I think the model B is more like 30 pounds.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks jwtseng, that helps quite a bit. I think the Model B looks pretty good and your screen shots look great too.

I was thinking about ripping the fabric out and mounting it in my DIY frame, but after seeing your pics, I am not sure it would look any better. Since my wall is black I would order the black case and I think it will probably just disappear.

Thanks again for the pics, I will be ordering mine from Jason tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hey, jwtseng, you piqued my curiosity (again)! :D

Does the fabric of your Model B screen completely shuts off the light coming in from the window behind? Or does the light comes through the fabric pretty badly?

Anyway, a neat setting and great shots!!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
sushi:

Unfortunately, the screen backing isn't totally opaque (surprisingly). On a sunny day light from the window behind *can* be seen from the front of the screen. I have since put an opaque rollershade behind the blinds to eliminate the effect.

Also, I am getting the screen replaced with the high power fabric. With the new screen, I will be getting extra bottom black drop to completely cover the window opening. You can understand how WAF prevented me from sacrificing the window completely and getting a fixed screen!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stevo,

Thanks, those are awesome. It looks like you can actually watch TV during the day with tons of ambient light. How many lumens is that projector?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Steve, is that a model B or model c? But it looks great, you can't see any waves.

Josh

·
Registered
76 Posts
Gator,

The projector was less than 1200 lumens. It is a Panasonic 711XU, which is 1600 on high, and approx. 1200 lumens on low mode (not sure on this). In addition, I recently added a Hoya FL-DAY filter, which was present in those photos. So the overall lumens would be somewhere

The Hoya filter was a nice addition, and certainly helps to tame the white 'punch' factor. The combination of the 711XU, high power screen and the filter is very satisfying. Pretty neutral colors according to AVIA, excellent contrast, medium-poor absolute black levels (but relatively acceptable).

The pictures were taken at about the worst possible time of day for viewing; so daytime viewing is accomplished comfortably. I could take some optimal viewing shots, but everyone has probably seen several of those from promotional shots ;)

CalypsoCowboy,

The screen is a model B (the smaller one). Our intent is to leave the screen down for most of the time, so a larger model C is not justified. The model B was a super simple install directly to the wall. 15-20 minutes with one person, tape measure, level, stud-finder, screws and a screwdriver.

Good luch with your new screens.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Actually, I believe the Model-B only weighs about 20-25 lbs. I would say 22 lbs. if I had to make an educated guess.

That, and the vertical dimensions were the reason I chose a Model-B myself. I went with hi-power simply to avoid seeing waves or wrinkles. Otherwise, I would *NOT* get the Hi-Power, and probably would have gotten the HCCV.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
jwtseng,

Again, very nice setting it is! How do you like your Orpheum so far? Any obvious advantages compared to a standard progressive DVD player?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
gator,

here you go. This is mine. Sorry about not being in a such an bright room,,, but I am sure your wife will get the idea.

this is a Model B 96"x96"

Oh BTW... It is not pulled all the way down. If I pull it all the way down it will be behind the 32" TV :D .

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL114/...9/22619071.jpg

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The Model B case is actually rather small and does not seem to an eyesore in a room. Especially if the color of the case matches the color of the ceiling.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Which is one of the main reasons I ordered a Model-B. And if you buy a screen, make sure you by it from the guy in the post above this!

I ordered my model-B Hp Da-Lite and Chief mount from Dan. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable. He went the extra-mile to answer my questions and provided excellent customer support once the order was placed. Thanks, Dan!

-Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.