AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is a pix of the new P50 above the fireplace in the Family Room. Sorry about the glare and wide angle lens. The wife has yet to pick window treatments.

Speakers are Triad in-walls (5 of them) with 2 Niles in-ceiling in the rear and an SVS subwoofer (PB1-ISD).

Components are Integra DTR 9.1 receiver.

Yamaha DVD-S2300 DVD/SACD/DVD-A player

Sony HDSAT200

Sony TIVO

Xantech IR repeater system.

Took awhile to get it all together but now that it is done it was well worth it

·
Registered
891 Posts
Wow thats a really nice set up Scott. I really like that little cabinet to the left too!! Good job! Congrats!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I stated in another thread, we tried to mitigate the plasma and fireplace competing for attention with one another.

We used the black granite surround followed by an oak surround around the Heat N Glo fireplace. I then built the plasma into a 6 inch depressed area with columns up the sides and an oak crown molding above it.

I think it worked to not have one or the other stand out too much. Of course, once the plasma is on it is sheer bliss and all eyes are drawn to it :)

I really like the DirectTV with HD local channel package. I have SD cable upstairs into a Sony 36XBR400 and it is no comparison. But, in all fairness, the Sony is only getting a SD cable feed. DVDs do look better on the P50 though.

I will have DirectTV to the XBR400 next week when the upstairs is done.

As for the heat issue brough up in another thread. I did the 10 hour fireplace burn in which called for running it for 10 hours at maximum output with no fan on. This is the hottest it will get. The air above it on the plasma reached 95 degrees. This is 10 degrees less than Fujitsu says is the max. There is no way to stay in the room when it is that hot down there as the rest of the room is in the low 80's.

I did test it tonight running it on low with the fan on and it only reached 83 degrees at the base of the display. The rest of the room was 74. The mantel is out 7 inches in front of the display so this and then fan helps push the warm air out and away.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LisaJ
Wow thats a really nice set up Scott. I really like that little cabinet to left too!! Good job! Congrats!
Lisa,

Thanks! I was really unsure as to how it would work out. We kind of designed it on the fly with no plans in mind. I think the builder was getting ready to kill me with a few of the changes. I ran most of the low voltage stuff and installed all the equipment.

There are halogen puck lights up in the sofits of the cabinets that shine down through the glass shelving. That shelving is adjustable. The eye ball lights out front are on different dimmers as are the rest of the lights and the ceiling fan.

The room measures 25x13x8 and that 8 foot ceiling was a bioch to deal with :D . I wish it had been 9 or 10 feet.

·
Registered
33,873 Posts
Scott, very very nice setup, really classy.

What's up with that DirecTV "HD local channel package"? I've never heard of an HD local package on DirecTV. It sure isn't available in my area.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Scott,

Nice set up. A couple of questions if I may.

I had the same sort of idea for above the fireplace in the living room. We were concerned that the effect would be too "front row of the theatre" though - by that I mean you feel like you are looking up all the time. We'd sit 2/3 of the way back in a movie theater normally.

Your pictures inspired me to revisit the idea though...

1. How high is the plasma - it looks to be about 56" floor to bottom.

2. How far away are you sitting?

3. Do you find this to be an issue at all and if it is, is it easy to get used to?

TIA, Alan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Scott,

Very, very nice. That's exactly what I have in plan when I get my plasma in a few months. Now I have something to look at that is comparable to what I want. Thanks for the nice pics and congrats on the setup.

Phillip

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
Scott, very very nice setup, really classy.

What's up with that DirecTV "HD local channel package"? I've never heard of an HD local package on DirecTV. It sure isn't available in my area.
Ken,

Maybe I was a bit confusing on this. DirectTV has the local channel package here that you can order. As the local channels also broadcast in HD, you can get those too by mounting the UHF/VHF antenna. I had them mount the antenna in the garage attic. Now, I get local channels on 3 to 4 different channels on the HDSAT200. I can get SD OTA, SD DirectTV, and Digital OTA. Whatever is broadcast in HD also comes over what I assume is the Digital OTA channel. So far it seems to work very well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alan,

The top of the mantel is 47" The bottom edge of the display is 50.5" .

We sit back 11' so we do look up at an angle, but not as much as you'd think. If I had the room, I'd move the seating back to 12 to 13', but then we'd be in the walkway from the stairs to the other part of the basement so 11' is it.

We watched about 3 hours of TV and a movie last night and I was fine with that. I could see if you were lying on the couch or floor it might become and issue.

The display will tilt out to 12 degrees if need be, but I have it at 0 degrees and will most likely leave it at that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nospam_online
Very, very nice. I'm currently working on a setup similar to yours.

Another question. Where's the IR sensor (do you like the Xantec?).
The sensor is their 'Dinky Link' and it is mounted up inside the center channel grill. The wires then run down the inside of the chase with the other cables from the display to the component rack. I have not got it hooked up yet in the rack. That is on my list of things to do today.

The grill comes off very easily if I need to put the ol' masking tape over it if the IR from the display interferes with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nospam_online
Here's the setup I'm planning. 12' ceilings and using stock 33" wide cabinets. Any suggestions?
I will call each side one cabinet. With this in mind, the cabinets are 43 inches wide. The insides are partitioned with an oak 'wall' between the single door and the double doors. We did the DVD pull outs on the one side only for our most watched movies. The rest will go in the rear of the room in a matching storage space.

The inside of the component rack measures 23 inches deep by 27 inches wide. I would not go any smaller than this. It gives you plenty of room for cables behind the components and also lets you turn the stuff sideways for easy of hook-up.

At first, we were going to go with retractable doors but you loose 3 inches on each side of the cabinet so they eat up a lot of space. We decided to go with the IR repeater set-up and vent the cabinet to the rear through the energy wall which is built out from the concrete block which is below grade. This wall is quite cool all year long and will create an air flow without a fan due to the temp change.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All,

I know the room looks really 'bright'. The walls are painted a shade of white with a tint of red to it. The floor is a Berber carpet with tints of dark red, blue, and green to it. She prefers to keep things neutral and decorate to add color. Whe the new furniture gets here that should accomplish her goal.

Although Triad painted the grills to match the walls, you still see some of the black speaker showing through. I'd have thought they would have also built the speaker white so as to avoid that, but it is really not that big of a deal.

We plan on darkening the room with window treatments so the afternoon sun wont glare through the windows (like in the pictures :) )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.