Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See my gallery for pictures!

Conversion of my basement began in earnest in January. I finally got my HS10 two weeks ago. I consider what I have completed to date to be phase 1. There are many finishing touches, such as navy velvet curtains for the screen and doorways and motorized screen masking, that I will work on in the coming months, but at least the theater is now functional. The dark walls and ceilings work great! My DIY screen (wall painted gray with flat black painted wood molding as a frame) also works like a champ! I have temporary top and bottom screen mattes that are covered in black velveteen and velcro to the wood screen frames for 2.35:1 movies. That and the gray screen make a HUGE difference on the black levels.

Also, the Berklines are awesome!!!

Scott

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My components are in the closet under the stairs at the back of the room. With the drop ceiling it was easy to run all the cabling. You can't really see it in the photos, but I have a remote extender poking down in the ceiling about halfway between the seats and the screen which transmits to a receiver in the closet. I don't have a picture of the components because I still have not cleaned out the closet, but at least it is now functional.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
very nice job...

brickie

·
Registered
197 Posts
quick question regarding your seating distance and DIY screen.

Your gallery says that your screen is painted directly on your wall...I was wondering if you sanded the wall smooth or depending on viewing distance, the texture of the wall was not noticeable?

I'm about to do the same type of DIY wall but just wanted some insight as to whether you thought it would be necessary to sand the wall at a viewing distance of 1.5x screen width?

·
Registered
197 Posts
quick question regarding your seating distance and DIY screen.

Your gallery says that your screen is painted directly on your wall...I was wondering if you sanded the wall smooth or depending on viewing distance, the texture of the wall was not noticeable?

I'm about to do the same type of DIY wall but just wanted some insight as to whether you thought it would be necessary to sand the wall at a viewing distance of 1.5x screen width?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maneuen -

I had finished the basement myself about two years ago, including the drywall. The walls were pretty smooth to begin with, so I did not need to sand any further. If yours are not smooth and flat, you might need to do some sanding. I did not do anything special regarding the painting process, either. I used a standard roller and Behr flat interior paint from Home Depot. My seating is almost exactly 1.5 screen widths back, and I have never noticed anything on the wall but the movie being projected on it!

Scott

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Looks great...I like the "retro" entrance around the door. What exactly is that made up of? The other touches look great as well!

Congratulations!:)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Maneun,

If your wall has texture, you can float a layer of drywall compound (mud) over the wall, and then sand and paint that. You don't want to try sanding through the paint and existing texture - way too much work.

You could also start with a new piece of sheetrack, nailed/screwed & glued to the wall. Sanding drywall compound makes lots of dust, so seal the area with plastic sheeting and have a vacuum cleaner going while you sand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.