Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Let me invite you over to my theater room! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

It has been a very pleasant journey all through it all. It was a lot of fun building it all by myself. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

I wanted to thank each and every one of you whom I've had a chance to exchange thoughts with either on the forum or privately all through out this time. Your help was much appreciated!

***Extra special super-duper thanks go to a couple of people for having provided the primary inspiration for me to've done this:

(in order of appearance along the project...)

-Dean McManis

-Mark Foster

-Dennis Erskine

-Andrew Chilvers

Cheers!

Luca

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12715694&f=0

[This message has been edited by propeller_beach (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congratulations! It looks very nice. You obviously have worked hard on this project and it shows. I can only hope mine will look as classy.

How many hours do you have invested in it?

Thanks for sharing

Todd

------------------

Todd

---------------------

-scan-lines-annoy-me-

---------------------

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like the seats too!. My wife is trying to talk me into those "theatre chairs" but I really want a bunch of big fluffy recliners.

Jon.

------------------

"Thats gonna leave a mark!"

·
Registered
159 Posts
Very nice! What did you use on the wall? (wood grain).

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Outstanding! I love the decor!

You should be very, very proud of that. I have to second (or third) the compliments on the seating. It makes we want to jump right in and get cozy.

Tell us more about Photo #2. Is that a masking system on the bottom of the screen, masked up to a 2.35:1 aspect ratio? Have you top-aligned the 2.35:1 image in the 16:9 image (in the 4:3 image http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ) to pull that off?

Thanks for sharing, Luca!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, fellow HT nuts!!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

It was loads and loads of fun. I am a developer/builder by trade, and getting down and dirty myself doing this gave me a chance to experiment with different things and being there every step of the way for the whole process. It's what I've always enjoyed doing.

Those of us who are handy in taking on any arts and crafts project on our own, know what I mean. The level of enjoyment derived out of seing something being developed from scratch to its end product is just unmatched. The kick for me was that I would constantly come up with new and different ideas along the way. I would always think about the next phase to tackle and I could not wait for the next time when I would get in there and do it.

Yes, it took some time. But that is because I was juggling this and my "real" day to day job, which admittedly often took priority. I'd say that if I were to build this sort of thing all at once, having all the necessary pieces of the puzzle in all the materials ready at the job site, with no waits for anything in the name of special orders or back orders, I would get it all done in 3-4 weeks. As it went though, yes I ended up putting lots and lots of hours into it, lots of tender loving care if you know what I mean. I could afford to take it easy and take my time, so I did.

Seating is very comfortable indeed. They recline all the way in the horizontal position with foot rests popping up. You feel like you're laying on a bed, they are that supple. I've researched leather recliners for a long time, and could not find anything that would come even close to the comfort level of these babies. None of them would make me feel at ease when I'd try them as these did. I'll have all the info on the album today.

Room specifics:

The room is/was really 2/3 of my garage! It is not as big as I'd wanted to make my theater, but I had no bigger space available. From the start, I vowed to make it as cozy and neat as possible. This was my goal. Even though the room only measures 10' wide x 20' long (finished), I think it is indeed very very cozy in there! Once you're in there and are embedded in the feel of the room and the excitement of the movie playing, you get that feeling of suspension of disbelief I've always want to achieve with my cinema. Just the feeling I wanted!

There are two platforms. I wanted to make this look like some of those old raised balcony type theaters up north. Obviously, I had space constraints. But I did the best I could. The first platform is 14" above floor level, the second being another 14" up. The prototype (or the inspiration) for my theater was a theater featured in an issue of Audio Video Interiors a while back. Some of you may have seen it. It's a theater built in what was originally a 20'x40'x20'!!! raquetball court. If you saw that one, you know what I mean.

Projector is a calibrated JVC G-11 Dila. Great projector! The screen is a Stewart Greyhawk THX Microperf 100"x58" screen. The picture is really outstanding. Unfortunately, for such a great picture, I only have a sub-standard audio system. I've maxed out on picture quality performace, now I need to do the same with my audio. As it is currently, I have a Pioneer 26 reciever, Yamaha front speakers, and Cerwin Vega surrounds and subwoofer. Nothing to be proud of, but as I say, I intend to make audio my next upgrade.

The drapes are deep black poly-velour with 6" gold fringe. They operate by way of a remote control on a Makita motorized drapery system. Thanks to Darren Alcorn and Tim Wilkins for the tip on the curtains.

The wood on the walls is a special project I wanted to undertake. I could've gone with 1/4" paraply, oak, or maple and then stain it to a cherry wood color, which is how I wanted it to look. But I chose an unusual approach, and I think it worked pretty well. Since I love the look of hardwood panel floors (parquet type), I thought what a great idea it would be to place these panels on the walls instead. I must admit I got a few strange looks at the place where I purcased them, when I told them I was going to put them up on walls and that it was going to be for my home theater. It was fun to see their reaction. The material is by Harris-Tarkett, and is adhered to 3/4" plywood which is adhered to 1/2" sheetrock on metal partitions. The glue used is a special non chemical mastic-type adhesive that comes in 4 gallon buckets. This is the same stuff I used to glue the ceiling tiles to the ceiling sheetrock. Its bonding properties really amazed me. This is very very good stuff.

Finally, the masking job! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Here's what I did: I built a masking frame for the 1.78:1 ratio, around the screen in 3/4" oak ply. I secured the pieces to the screen's back frame (I purchased the screen in its material-only lacre+grommets config, so I had to build a frame for it), making sure that no screw would go thru the screen nmaterial of course (ouch! how painful that would've been!). I then secured the four pieces of ply (top/bottom/left/right) to themselves by way of four latch assemblies (two each to join the top and bottom pieces to the side pieces). I then cut an extra piece of ply to rest on top of the bottom piece, to get me the 2.35:1 ratio. I secured the two pieces by way of three hinges, so that when swang opened, the board would do so on its hinges and flip down forward to rest on the bottom piece. When the board is up, it is secured with two more latches left and right to the side panels. The resulting job is a top aligned 1.78:1 screen, with a flip-up panel for a top aligned 2.35:1 screen as well. I have not played with 4:3 material yet. I miss my Imax movies full screen, and the impact of having watched them on a 4:3 version of this screen, in this size (had I gone with this ratio screen instead, which I debated long and hard...), would've been awesome! Well...too bad! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Its natural wood finish is not how the frame remained. I don't have a picture of the finished masking system, but what I did is I proceded to cover the frame pieces with the same black poly-velour material the curtains are made of. I cut pieces to size and taped them to the panels by way of two-sided 2" extra-strong carpet tape. Works like a charm. It's unbelievable the difference masking makes to the movie experience! I never thought it would be this big. The added contrast is really incredible. The picture is better presented. Your eyes see a lot more detail that they are able to discern because of this.

I will update the album today to include as much description as I can to the various pics, in the captions provided.

Cheers! And thanks again for your kind words!

Luca

·
Registered
133 Posts
Great job, Luca!

I know what you mean by doing it yourself and doing it right. It's a great feeling.

I echo the comments made so far, but I also like how you wrapped the carpetting around the risers on the floor. The look and pattern do indeed give it the appearance of an old classic theater balcony.

Have a blast!

------------------

Perry
www.woodht.homestead.com

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, this is way more fun than I'm allowed to handle!

But Larry, did you not use to live in the Big Apple? What's with Panama nowadays? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Perry, I know...it's such a rush to do it yourself if you know what I mean. A couple of hammered fingers here and there and a few long deep breaths of nasty chemical junk in your lungs, and you're set to go!

Luca

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Luca,

Great Theater!

I sounds like you enjoyed your building experience more than I am enjoying mine.

Just curious, but what kind of sound system do you have going in there?

Do you have any accoustic treatments?

Thx,

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again! I appreciate all the nice comments! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cameron, I intend to upgrade reciever and fronts soon. For now, I have a lowly Pioneer VSX-26 5.1 reciever, Yamaha front speakers, Cerwin Vega sub, center, and rears. Nothing to brag about as I said, but first things first, and now that I have my video optimized, I'll dive into my audio.

Treatments. Yes, all walls are treated with Johns Manville's coated Theater Shield Plus, about half way down the side and back walls (give or take), and the whole of the front wall behind the screen. This is then covered with Guilford of Maine fabric which is stapled to 1"x2" frame placed on the perimeter of the insulation material. The ceiling is all Celotex acoustic tiles in tongue+groove config, very low sound absorption coeff, painted Ralph Lauren harness flat black. Carpet on floor wraps up the treatment enchilada.

Luca

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nice theater. I also went with the Rooms to Go reclining sofas. I found them the be the MOST comfortable in both upright and various reclining angles for viewing. I sat in every sofa I could find as well.

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292723583

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.