AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not seen anyone ask a similar question in the past couple of weeks that I've been scouring Google - but this seems the best place to ask it!

I've built a little server at home, which sits neatly beneath my TV which does umpteen little jobs such as provide data/media storage, web server, PBX, FTP, email etc - and what I'd _really_ like to add to it is a way to make it play media via it's own local video controller and sound card, using some sort of remote control from one of the other machines I have on the network.

I'm not interested in streaming the media over the network, that's a doddle to setup and already works; I want the server to play the media where it is (sorry to re-itterate!)

The Base OS at the moment is Windows Server Standard 2008, so something Windows based preferable; although I'll take any suggestions!

Best,

Colin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

Thanks - the machine has a video card/audio card already (on-board) and is connected to my TV already; being a server OS which I don't login to locally though, the screen sits at the login screen as the remote sessions are based around Terminal Services. The application needs to be aware that it needs to control the local video/audio is what I'm trying to get at, and hopefully also support being run as a service (I can get around this). I could control playback by using VLC, logging in locally, and then remote controlling via VNC; but was hoping for a more elegant solution.

Best,

Colin

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I don't understand what you are asking for.

It sounds like you want it to act like a completely headless, server based setup, running an OS that is intentionally stripped of most all UI. But also be able to function like a complete, full featured HTPC?

I think you will find the least frustration with installing a more full featured user OS, like Win7, then setting up your server tasks to run as background services.

-Suntan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's more-or-less what I'm after; I want to leave the server running headless (or at least nearly all of it) - as administratively this is the best solution - adding some sort of media service is very much an after-thought.

As for the UI, this shouldn't make any odds; 2008 R2 has Aero the same as Windows 7, has DirectX 10.1 and all the other good stuff that Windows 7 has, and is a 64bit OS - it even supports all of them over Remote Desktop; but all I wish to do is play media out of the local video/audio.

I guess I could have the machine log in automatically as a restricted user; which gives a desktop to work with but I'm not familiar with the programs that I'm looking for. Win7 doesn't have a number of the features that I'm using to prevent my family from abusing my server lol

I've heard some good reviews on software such as Boxee; but as far as I can tell you'd need an iPhone or iPod touch to control it which isn't a problem for me as I've an iPhone but the remainder of my family don't.

Best,

Colin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.