AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first off thanks for looking at the thread, any help is appreciated.

I'm looking to piece together a nice quality 5.1 that I can also use with music. I recently hung my flat screen above our fireplace and have little options with speaker placement/waf. Towers are out (hence the WAF), so I'm looking for small bookshelf/satellites to fill the room with sound. I have a 14'x25' "family" room that is open to the stairs (split foyer layout), so I know it will be challenging to fill the room. We do however have the sofa on the opposite wall of the tv (short wall of the room) and the viewing distance is 11'lx13'w if that helps any. We have a mantle below the tv (roughly 9" depth) that the fronts could sit on, but I think I want to wall mount everything for stability at higher volume.

I've listened to Def-tech (pro cinema IIRC), Mirage (nano and omnisats), Klipsch (quintets) and Polk (don't remember, but I think they had 3" woofers or so) at various stores. I'm wondering if there are better options with Energy (either Take Classics, Mini RCs, RC-10, CBs, etc), Paradigm (Cinema series), HSU (Ventrilaquist or HB1), Orbs, or something I haven't read about. I'm very open to suggestions.

I'm also open to receivers (Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, whatever) and would like to try to set something up under $1k budget for everything (little more is okay, less is better
) Thanks again...

·
Registered
710 Posts
I can recommend the Energy Take 5 classics. My Brother-in-law has a set of original Take 5's and they sound pretty nice. Take your pick for an AVR, find one with the feature set you want and buy it. I prefer Denon/Onkyo and you can find the Onkyo's from various sources refurbished for some great savings.

I would also recommend looking at some ID companies for speakers as well, Ascend, Aperion, Axiom Audio. They all have some very good reviews and are somewhat cheaper than B&M stores for the same quality speaker, IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts