AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can help me with an inexpensive sound system for our basement. Below is a picture of the layout of the basement:

BasementLayout.jpg 204k .jpg file

Here is what I am looking to accomplish:

- Create a home theater area to watch movies and TV.

- Be able to play music stored on Galaxy S3 phones and/or ipod throughout basement (including workshop area). Also play Pandora.

- Be able to run two additional zones this Spring to backyard (top of diagram). One of the zones will be on the back deck right above TV. The other area will be approximately 50' from house (raised deck surrounding part of above ground pool).

Here is what I currently have:

Panasonic 50" plasma tv (on a wood entertainment center)

Denon AVR-1613 (only has one zone) hooked up to TV

Polk Audio TSi CS10 Center channel speaker

Pair of Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf speakers

Four LG speakers from a JVC SP THM505 box surround system. They say they are 140W speakers (I believe they are 4 ohms)

Four speakers that came with a JVC SP THM505 box surround system. They say they are 140W speakers. (I believe they are 4 ohms)

From what I understand, I will need to buy a speaker switch to create various zones (I am looking to buy this one http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=8230 ). Running speaker wire anywhere in the basement isn't an issue as we have a drop ceiling (unfinished in workshop).

Suggestions on how to accomplish this CHEAPLY are greatly appreciated. We are in no way music experts so "average" sound is probably fine. I'm just looking for something basic now that maybe we can upgrade in the future. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
First off what is your budget? Cheap to you might be expensive to me. Give us a hard and fast number

Also what as the speakers you buying for? Are you planning on replaceing the front 3 speakers your got from Polk?

In ceiling can work well as surround speakers but not front speakers.

Will you need a receiver with a powered Zone 2 or would RCA Zone 2 out ok where you would just use an another amp or one you have already.

Give us your budget.

Monoprice is one place worth looking for cheap speakers
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=108&cp_id=10837

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. When I say cheap, I mean as inexpensive as possible. Ideally I would like to use the speakers I have as much as possible and add on. For example, I definitely want to keep the bookshelf and center speaker as is, but maybe add a couple of ceiling or in-wall speakers to complete the surround sound in that room (for watching TV). Then I'd like to add a couple of speakers on the far right part of the room (part of the L room that runs from top to bottom) and a couple of speakers in the kids playroom/workout area for music. Finally a couple of speakers in my workshop (was hoping to be able to use the JVC or LG speakers I have leftover from box systems but doubt I can as they are only 4 ohms). Ideally I would like to keep price around $100. By the way, I have a credit at Menards from returns on a previous project so that's why I was thinking the Pyle speakers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, if I am looking for a cheap subwoofer on eBay/Craigslist any suggestions on what I should be watching for?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsmith2032  /t/1520931/piecing-together-a-sound-system#post_24440007

Also, if I am looking for a cheap subwoofer on eBay/Craigslist any suggestions on what I should be watching for?
honestly as long as it works. You won't find anything really worth buying used since your fixated on buying cheap. Your basement is quite large so you will need quite a subwoofer. So I hope you are ready to spend $200 on that alone(and that is buying the cheapest subwoofer available for your room) and for that you might as well buy Bic F12 new

Set a budget for everything.

BTWs the location of where the speaker wire goes was not set-up for a home theater you want surrounds on either side of the couch. and fronts eithe side of the tv

Ok you got the in ceilings from the place you got credit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I might need to rethink my budget and plan a bit. So I:

1. Need to move the speaker locations for the tv surround. Right now I have the bookshelves on the floor next to the entertainment center (right next to tv on both side). I will place back speakers on either side of the couchs. What kind/brand/model do you recommend for these back speakers (doesnt seem like you are very high on the Pyles)?

2. Will buy a BIC12 subwoofer.

3. Where do you suggest speaker placement for the rest of the basement (for music)? What kind/brand/models?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I agree with rob, for 100 dollars, it won't be an upgrade. Save your money for and when you have 500+ to spend...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts