AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just found out my parents are getting my wife and I a new TV for Christmas.
So, when the tax return comes, probably going to pick up an Onkyo 260, a Jamo 426 set, and put together an HTPC.

I'm a fairly experienced tech, but wanted to run this buy the HTPC gurus to see what you thought.

Processor: Clarkdale i3 540

Motherboard: ASRock H55M-GE

Memory: 4GB of Geil DDR3

HDD: Old 300GB drive... will be buying one or two 1.5TB WD Green drives for storage, but these will go in my server.

Blu-Ray: Lite-On BluRay Drive

I know I'm going to need some software for the BluRay playback. Any thoughts? Although I may just buy a standalone BluRay player since I won't want until I get my taxes back to do this.

This whole system comes to $400, which I don't think is too bad at all. And that includes a 1.5TB drive. It does not include an OS as I am a Technet subscriber and get my OS' from Microsoft directly.

Any thoughts on Home Premium vs Ultimate? I don't think I'll have any need for Ultimate on here, but I'm not 100% sure what all I will be playing with (potentially Windows Home Server, Amahi, Server 2008 R2, etc.). Probably more than that, what do you guys think about 32 bit vs 64 bit? I may just do 32 bit on this system as I don't think I'll ever need more than 4GB of memory in it.

Any other thoughts are welcomed, too, please!

Brandon

·
Registered
389 Posts
For an HTPC the only advantage I can think of that Ultimate has over Premium is that you can Remote Desktop into Ultimate. You can't with Premium though you can always use 3rd party apps for that purpose that are, arguably, better.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL /forum/post/19644652

Hi all. Just found out my parents are getting my wife and I a new TV for Christmas.
So, when the tax return comes, probably going to pick up an Onkyo 260, a Jamo 426 set, and put together an HTPC.

I'm a fairly experienced tech, but wanted to run this buy the HTPC gurus to see what you thought.

Processor: Clarkdale i3 540

Motherboard: ASRock H55M-GE

Memory: 4GB of Geil DDR3

HDD: Old 300GB drive... will be buying one or two 1.5TB WD Green drives for storage, but these will go in my server.

Blu-Ray: Lite-On BluRay Drive

I know I'm going to need some software for the BluRay playback. Any thoughts? Although I may just buy a standalone BluRay player since I won't want until I get my taxes back to do this.

This whole system comes to $400, which I don't think is too bad at all. And that includes a 1.5TB drive. It does not include an OS as I am a Technet subscriber and get my OS' from Microsoft directly.

Any thoughts on Home Premium vs Ultimate? I don't think I'll have any need for Ultimate on here, but I'm not 100% sure what all I will be playing with (potentially Windows Home Server, Amahi, Server 2008 R2, etc.). Probably more than that, what do you guys think about 32 bit vs 64 bit? I may just do 32 bit on this system as I don't think I'll ever need more than 4GB of memory in it.

Any other thoughts are welcomed, too, please!

Brandon

Looks good. Put some thought into how you plan to control the system and TV. I use Logitech 300 remotes and have been quite happy with them, but there are lots out there.

BT

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the replies, guys.

Micromain... good point on RDP. I'm trying to decide if I want to use a key on this machine or not. Microshaft cut all technet subscribers down to 5 instead of 10 for each version of Windows. 5 is still doable, but is obviously also much more limiting. I may just use one of my Ultimate x86 keys since I think I've only used one so far. This machine shouldn't need more than 4GB of RAM anyway.

BT, how do you use the Harmony series with PCs? Can you? I was looking at a 700 or One, but I may just use a WMC remote since this HTPC will be my primary need. A 300 may fit the bill nicely for the price, though. Maybe a 300 and an WMC remote of some sort. Should be under $60 and quite flexible. Any thoughts?

ogormask, I do have a case and power supply picked out (I'm debating on size), but I'm not 100% just yet. I'll have to get the wife's approval on that aspect.
Should still be around $400 or a little over including $50 for a case, although I may spend up to $100, but I likely won't spend over that.

Thanks again for the replies!

Brandon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts