AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple old parts laying around and since I recently purchased my first HDTV I'm looking to dive into an HTPC to play all my Blu-Ray movies and regular DVDs as well as music and pictures and everything that goes along with an HTPC. I will eventually be getting a tuner card as well to record TV shows to my hard drive, but that is not a main concern right now.

Here are the parts I'm looking at getting and also what I already have. Are these parts good enough for full Blu-Ray playback as well as everything else mentioned above:

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G

G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

AMD Athlon X2 4050e 2.1GHz Socket AM2 45W

Lite-On Blu-Ray drive DH-401S-11 (Already Own)

Vista 32-bit (Already Own)

Chenming case (Already Own)

Enermax PSU (Already Own)

Is there anything else I am missing?

Thank you.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Looks like plenty of machine for what you need it for.

However, the motherboard appears to utilize DDR2 1066 RAM, and you have chosen DDR2 800. Something to check out.

On the off chance the CPU is an OEM/tray version, make sure to buy a quality heatsink/fan solution for it. I suggest the retail boxed product though, the overall quality has always seemed better to me (fewer burnouts).

Best of luck and may you not receive any lemons.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech /forum/post/14282690

Looks like plenty of machine for what you need it for.

However, the motherboard appears to utilize DDR2 1066 RAM, and you have chosen DDR2 800. Something to check out.

On the off chance the CPU is an OEM/tray version, make sure to buy a quality heatsink/fan solution for it. I suggest the retail boxed product though, the overall quality has always seemed better to me (fewer burnouts).

Best of luck and may you not receive any lemons.

Thanks for the advice! Greatly appreciated! You stated that it looks like plenty a machine for what I want to do, is there anyway to get around doing what I want cheaper? Or is this the most cost effective setup here?

Will it be a drag on the computer to use the slower memory or will the DDR2 800 be fine? Any downsides to using slower memory on a basic HTPC?

And yes I will be purchasing the retail version of the processor, like you, I have always went retail on processors and faired much much better!

·
Registered
641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aingeal /forum/post/14282846

Thanks for the advice! Greatly appreciated! You stated that it looks like plenty a machine for what I want to do, is there anyway to get around doing what I want cheaper? Or is this the most cost effective setup here?

Will it be a drag on the computer to use the slower memory or will the DDR2 800 be fine? Any downsides to using slower memory on a basic HTPC?

And yes I will be purchasing the retail version of the processor, like you, I have always went retail on processors and faired much much better!

Memory shouldn't be a big problem for you. In fact, I only use 677mhz RAM and it hasn't slowed my q6600 cpu down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, thanks for the reply hehe, thats pretty much what I figured so ill just use 800Mhz since I already own 1GB, which is just sitting around.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
DDR2-1066 is supported only by Phenom processors. If you use DDR2-1066 memory modules with Athlon X2 4050e, they will run only as DDR2-700:

- 2100MHz/Ceiling((10.5)/2)=2100MHz/Ceiling(5.25)=2100MHz/6=350MHz.

Please read this post .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I'm fine with just running DDR2 800

1 - 7 of 7 Posts