AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 784 Posts

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
I was under the impression that the pig icon/logo only went where there wasn't one provided?
I was too, and only found out otherwise when I filled in all my missing icons from either the CM or SD icon cache and my channel 4.2 stubbornly retained the pink pig. Then v0.9995 arrived, along with the enhancement to remove or change the pink pig channel, and I said, "aha!"
what is the DVR+ criteria for saying Internet status: Disconnected?
I don't know; but now I'm remembering from the main DVR+ thread that the DVR+ makes periodic connections to the likes of Google, Microsoft, etc. but doesn't seem to send any info (aside from the IP address necessary to connect). That puzzled me at the time, and I wondered in that forum if the DVR+ formerly collected TV viewing data, but as of 135R no longer does so.

But it does seem like a reasonable way to test for Internet connectivity now that I think about it!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
PiGs on Win10

Thanks to Frank70 and the procedures he gave me and everyone else who contributed I was able to install Pigs and run it on my spare WIN10 64 bit PC. I made a few mistakes along the way but have it updating my DVR+. So now I have it available to run on 2 laptops with Linux Raspberry PI Desktop OS and a WIN10 desktop.
Don't forget, that's only PiGS version 0.9995. We're still waiting for beta testing to be over and an official version 1.0, though I suspect that's very close indeed.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Not sure Windows is dependent on connecting to a site to function, is it?
I think you have to connect when you first install Windows to activate it, but after that, no; it will run fine without Internet. I believe the test is done merely to tell whether to display "Internet access" or "No Internet access" for the network(s) your PC is connected to.

·
Registered
522 Posts
...But I wonder what test the DVR+ does (like try to go out and ping amazon.com by name on the theory that will never go away) to declare an internet connection. ...
You can attach the DVR+ to any powered on Ethernet switch and it will show connected. It just senses the link state of the internal adapter to determine if it's connected to a network.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I appreciate all the info. It seems a few posters are annoyed by certain things being discussed in a PiGS thread, which is in beta, any info about icons. I'd like to remind them this info will most probably be useful to those in the future.

So, Default is CM/Rovi icons, unless unchecked at SD site, then SD, UNLESS icons are in the Myicons folder, which will override all others, EXCEPT that which is specified in pigs.json? And we can just put one icon in the Myicons folder? Got it. I had hoped Tim would chime in here, I was most generous in my monetary donation to him, hope others are/will be as well. A simple "yes, that is correct," or "no, this is the pecking order" would be appreciated. Shouldn't take but a minute or so. I don't think I have needed much hand holding with this software, certainly less than others I have seen on the forum.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The way Microsoft Windows does this, apparently, is:
  1. A request for DNS name resolution of dns.msftncsi.com
  2. A HTTP request for http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt returning 200 OK and the text Microsoft NCSI
Which do work to this day, but certainly make Windows dependent on that site and file, which they own of course.
That site is what determines the Internet connectivity of a Windows device. If it can't be reached, the network icon in the System Tray will display the yellow exclamation mark triangle symbol. It's also used as a crude inventory device by MS to determine the unique number of Windows devices connected to the Internet. Many large enterprises will redirect that to an internal server to cut down on help desk calls regarding "The Internet is down!".

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just checked,

127.0.1.1 PiGS
192.168.0.200 epg.channelmastertv.com
192.168.0.200 roproxy-guide.echostarcdn.com
127.0.0.1 tr50.dishaccess.tv
127.0.0.1 stbfw.echodata.tv

In my hosts file. Both DVR+ units static ip.
tr50 and stbfw are the same server:

$ dig tr50.dishaccess.tv

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> tr50.dishaccess.tv
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 506
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;tr50.dishaccess.tv. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
tr50.dishaccess.tv. 1663 IN CNAME stbfw.echodata.tv.
stbfw.echodata.tv. 26863 IN A 67.148.153.225

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
echodata.tv. 36715 IN NS ns2.echodata.tv.
echodata.tv. 36715 IN NS ns1.echodata.tv.

$ dig stbfw.echodata.tv

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> stbfw.echodata.tv
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 30509
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;stbfw.echodata.tv. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
stbfw.echodata.tv. 26830 IN A 67.148.153.225

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
echodata.tv. 36682 IN NS ns1.echodata.tv.
echodata.tv. 36682 IN NS ns2.echodata.tv.

$ dig -x 67.148.153.225

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> -x 67.148.153.225
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 38781
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;225.153.148.67.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
225.153.148.67.in-addr.arpa. 27086 IN PTR stbfw.echodata.tv.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
153.148.67.in-addr.arpa. 1886 IN NS ns1.echodata.tv.
153.148.67.in-addr.arpa. 1886 IN NS ns2.echodata.tv.

Neither answers when a request is sent. If you are running firmware 135R, you really don't need to redirect them since there will be no further firmware updates for the DVR+.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I appreciate all the info. It seems a few posters are annoyed by certain things being discussed in a PiGS thread, which is in beta, any info about icons. I'd like to remind them this info will most probably be useful to those in the future.

So, Default is CM/Rovi icons, unless unchecked at SD site, then SD, UNLESS icons are in the Myicons folder, which will override all others, EXCEPT that which is specified in pigs.json? And we can just put one icon in the Myicons folder? Got it. I had hoped Tim would chime in here, I was most generous in my monetary donation to him, hope others are/will be as well. A simple "yes, that is correct," or "no, this is the pecking order" would be appreciated. Shouldn't take but a minute or so. I don't think I have needed much hand holding with this software, certainly less than others I have seen on the forum.
Technically, you can create any icons you wish to use for the channels. Just put them in the myicons folder and then uncheck the CM Icons and SDicons on the config page. This feature allows one to become very creative with the icons displayed by the guide.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That site is what determines the Internet connectivity of a Windows device. If it can't be reached, the network icon in the System Tray will display the yellow exclamation mark triangle symbol.
I seem to recall this. Didn't recall which site MS pings. I was (and still am) having the red x (W7) in my net icon in sys tray after a cold boot, until I access the internet, then it goes away. I presume MS ping failure, others also had the problem. In my case, I may have deleted some "phone home" stuff in task manager or the registry.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I seem to recall this. Didn't recall which site MS pings. I was (and still am) having the red x (W7) in my net icon in sys tray after a cold boot, until I access the internet, then it goes away. I presume MS ping failure, others also had the problem. In my case, I may have deleted some "phone home" stuff in task manager or the registry.
The red 'x' indicates that the adapter hasn't yet established an 'UP' link state or hasn't gotten an IP address from the DHCP server. It usually clears in a few seconds after the hardware fully initializes. It's been a while since I've worked with Win7 but it may have to do with driver loading. I can't recall right now if Win7 had in order or random load for drivers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Technically, you can create any icons you wish to use for the channels. Just put them in the myicons folder and then uncheck the CM Icons and SDicons on the config page. This feature allows one to become very creative with the icons displayed by the guide.
I figured that. Just not sure the pecking order. I guess I will have to do some experimenting, as no one has chimed in with the answer. I will post a followup when I have my answers. Might be several hours or days.

Not sure you can uncheck SD icons, can you?
From PiGS setup page:

SD Icons
To use SD Icons
uncheck
'Use CM/Rovi Icons'

Didn't see anything about unchecking the SD icons. But I often miss things.

We are in serious danger with all of this icon talk.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I figured that. Just not sure the pecking order. I guess I will have to do some experimenting, as no one has chimed in with the answer. I will post a followup when I have my answers.

Not sure you can uncheck SD icons, can you?
From PiGS setup page:

SD Icons
To use SD Icons
uncheck
'Use CM/Rovi Icons'

Didn't see anything about unchecking the SD icons. But I often miss things.

We are in serious danger with all of this icon talk.
My mistake on the SD icons. Don't have the config page open. PiGS has been working so well that I keep forgetting to look at it. But that is, after all, the whole point to it—no thinking about it. However, you can replace any of the existing CMIcons in the cmicons folder with ones of your own choosing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would imagine I could probably reroute the address/site that W7 attempts to ping in a similar manner to what we have done with the DVR+ schedule requests. (Cleverly bringing it back on topic)

If the DVR+ DID require a ping to some unnamed a certain site, else it would disconnect from the net, a redirect might work for that as well. I am not net savvy enough to know how to do that. But I can learn, if needed.

My mistake on the SD icons. Don't have the config page open. PiGS has been working so well that I keep forgetting to look at it. But that is, after all, the whole point to it—no thinking about it.
I'm the same. I had been happily leaving Pi/PiGS to do it's thing, no timers, no leaving a computer on 24/7 to use more electricity and get into my beer fund. I can't imagine why someone would want to use a full PC, or even a laptop, to run PiGS, when a little Pi will do the same job. They may be the type that have installed V8s in their riding mowers.

But then I had an issue after upgrading to v0.9995, which got me to messing around with it, which led me to investigate the icon issue I was having with one channel. More of a curiosity than anything.

Edit: Clarify

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I am going to be using a full PC. My WIN10 computer is on for several hours a day every day. So absolutely makes sense NOT to buy extra equipment and have extra equipment running when I can multitask and run PiGS every day when I feel like it on my desktop!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I am going to be using a full PC. My WIN10 computer is on for several hours a day every day. So absolutely makes sense NOT to buy extra equipment and have extra equipment running when I can multitask and run PiGS every day when I feel like it on my desktop!
Sounds like a great plan. I have a desktop PC that is on 24/7 and could use it as my PiGS, but I just like the idea of this cute little Pi Zero W hanging up there on a paperclip doing the whole job (it's powered from the USB port of the white NAS via a very short cable.)
IMG_8433.JPG

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #316 (Edited)
About Icons. The icon directories exist because on 6-27-20 the CM/Rovi servers went down which caused pigs to crash, and no icons to display at all. I decided to cache the icons locally in pigs so that when CM/rovi goes down or goes away, we would still have something. during the process much was learned about how dvr+ handles icons - which led to myicons, and then I got SD icons to work (sdicons) so that when cm/rovi does go away, and it will, we will have something.

as far as how icons work, see Beta emails for V992 (June 28), V993 (July 2), and V998 (July 14), where it is documented extensively, and the Beta tester 'user manual' ReleaseNotes.txt which is included with your files.

You can also look directly at the source code. I documented the crap out of this thing. look around line 432 of sv.py. it is described very well. But wait, you ask, how could I ever find such a thing in 4,468 lines of Python code? You do what Sam_adams suggested. use a linux command to search the source. grep. since you are thinking about icons, you could search for the icon folder names...

grep -n myicons *.py​

I haven't said much because the other beta testers have been doing a great job helping each other out! I'm going to have to translate all those Beta emails and the release notes into a real user guide, but that will take some time, and I've been busy fixing air conditioners lately. The Start/Run cap on my unit decided to die this afternoon, but its back up working like a charm.

I have a version labeled V1.0 that I auto-started 3 days, 0:20:20.947634 ago and its been working fine. So I will try and get it posted in a day or two. I did a little more work in the background builder and made that work better with the UI to keep users out of trouble.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Does PiGS know when the DVR+ is done updating the guide? If it does can it display a message?
Well, in a sense it does and in a sense it doesn't. Basically, the DVR+ always requests 90 blocks of 4-hours each (unless PiGS runs out of data before the 90th request has been sent), so I suppose PiGS could keep count. But you'll know when it's done because the last set of messages, which look like this:

MAIN:LINSCHED **** Program Sched Req from ('192.168.1.189', 35658) at 2020-08-16 16:44:06(EDT)
LS:GLS DVR 192.168.1.189 State[22912,2020-08-16 20:36:51.836492]
LS:GLS:Searching for 2020-08-31T16:00:00Z. InProgessFlag=0...
LS:GLS:Request complete! 228 Listings. LI=23140 Elapsed= 07:16s

will be followed by... wait for it... absolutely nothing! So when the last block of such messages occurs and then PiGS goes silent, it's done.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
It has come to light that if you have only one DVR+ on your network, then a DaysLimit of 16 is adequate. But with 2 DVR+ units that update at different times of day, one of them may get slightly shortchanged. So I'm increasing my DaysLimit to 17 to see if that results in a 100% complete guide in both units.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Well, in a sense it does and in a sense it doesn't. Basically, the DVR+ always requests 90 blocks of 4-hours each (unless PiGS runs out of data before the 90th request has been sent), so I suppose PiGS could keep count. But you'll know when it's done because the last set of messages, which look like this:

MAIN:LINSCHED **** Program Sched Req from ('192.168.1.189', 35658) at 2020-08-16 16:44:06(EDT)
LS:GLS DVR 192.168.1.189 State[22912,2020-08-16 20:36:51.836492]
LS:GLS:Searching for 2020-08-31T16:00:00Z. InProgessFlag=0...
LS:GLS:Request complete! 228 Listings. LI=23140 Elapsed= 07:16s

will be followed by... wait for it... absolutely nothing! So when the last block of such messages occurs and then PiGS goes silent, it's done.
Yes but I have had instances where for some reason the DVR+ update just pauses for a couple of minutes and then picks up again. Not sure why but thought it would be good if possible to have some sort of notice the update was completed. Maybe because I have 2 units updating at the same time this is happening.

301 - 320 of 784 Posts