AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 697 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #541 (Edited)
This morning I uploaded PiGS V1.11 to Downloads – PiGS – The CM-7500 DVR+ Replacement EPG!
The Windows Portable Installer is also available.

The UI has been cleaned up a bit with some links, but the primary feature is a built in DNS server. An internal DNS server simplifies setup and configuration for new installs because dnsmasq or windows technitium are no longer needed - its a self contained package. There were a few minor bugs fixed in this release also - hopefully I didn't add any new ones!

If you are already using dnsmasq on your Pi or linux system, there is really no need to disable/uninstall it, just leave the PiGS DNS disabled (unchecked). If you are using windows, then I do recommend enabling the DNS server which allows you to skip starting the Windows DNS. I suppose the Windows firewall might whine a little because PiGS needs to access the DNS port #53, so just accept that if it happens.

The full list of changes can be viewed in ReleaseNotes.txt

Here are the SD statistics for last month, up a bit:
Active SD users : 27 (+9) (as reported by users' profile)
Fetch-14 users : 26 (+9) (data downloaded within 14 days)

Now that DNS is built in, I have a few places I'm going to post V1.10

pigs111.PNG

·
Registered
5 Posts
This morning I uploaded PiGS V1.11 to Downloads – PiGS – The CM-7500 DVR+ Replacement EPG!
The Windows Portable Installer is also available.

The UI has been cleaned up a bit with some links, but the primary feature is a built in DNS server. An internal DNS server simplifies setup and configuration for new installs because dnsmasq or windows technitium are no longer needed - its a self contained package. There were a few minor bugs fixed in this release also - hopefully I didn't add any new ones!

If you are already using dnsmasq on your Pi or linux system, there is really no need to disable/uninstall it, just leave the PiGS DNS disabled (unchecked). If you are using windows, then I do recommend enabling the DNS server which allows you to skip starting the Windows DNS. I suppose the Windows firewall might whine a little because PiGS needs to access the DNS port #53, so just accept that if it happens.

The full list of changes can be viewed in ReleaseNotes.txt

Here are the SD statistics for last month, up a bit:
Active SD users : 27 (+9) (as reported by users' profile)
Fetch-14 users : 26 (+9) (data downloaded within 14 days)

View attachment 3042758
I was so disappointed when my tv guide quit updating. I looked for a while for a work around with no success until yesterday. Today in installed the new Windows version of PiGS and I am happy again. I don't understand why CM doesn't add this as an update. I guess because they have gotten into bed with TIVO. Thanks a bunch!!

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #545 (Edited)
I did a CM scan of the cm/rovi data and listings in my zip without titles (Unknown Events) is almost 7% (1 in 15). That is just pathetic.
It's also taking about 1:30(min 30) to receive 1 day of data (6 requests), so their server has slowed WAY down for some reason... it should be a few seconds.

you all have pc.py with your installs if you're curious about your zip.
I dont think the windows portable install has access to pc.py, and I suspect pc.py wont work on CAN zips...

python3 pc.py 0 53593 <<<< started from a terminal window
Starting CM/Rovi Data test at 2020-10-03 22:29(CDT)
SYS args name=pc.py Port=0 Zip=53593
CM: GetServiceCode http(200)
Checking ServiceDetail Lineup zip(53593), ServiceId(20499)
==== Summary ====
2020-10-04T00:00:00Z - 2020-10-16T00:00:00Z (13 Days)
Total Airings : 37177
NoTitleKey 6.7% 2486
EmptyTitle 0.0% 0
NoCopyKey 17.3% 6433
EmptyCopy 0.5% 189

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I did a CM scan of the cm/rovi data and listings in my zip without titles (Unknown Events) is almost 7% (1 in 15). That is just pathetic.
It's also taking about 1:30(min 30) to receive 1 day of data (6 requests), so their server has slowed WAY down for some reason... it should be a few seconds.
Alas and alack, mine didn't even get far enough after 10 or more minutes to get to the summary, it just timed out and gave up:

>python3 pc.py 0 19053
Starting CM/Rovi Data test at 2020-10-04 08:48(Eastern Daylight Time)
SYS args name=pc.py Port=0 Zip=19053
CM: GetServiceCode http(200)
Checking ServiceDetail Lineup zip(19053), ServiceId(20530)
Channel(35.3) VirtualChannel(39.3) Error!
Channel(52.2) VirtualChannel(23.2) Error!
CM TZ Info [{'StartDateTime': '2020-03-08T07:00:00Z', 'EndDateTime': '2020-11-01T06:00:00Z', 'Offset': -240}]
Scanning the CM/Rovi database for errors. PostalCode(19053)
2020-10-04T00:00:00Z {'TotAirings': 3775, 'NoTitleKey': 264, 'EmptyTitle': 0, 'NoCopyKey': 732, 'EmptyCopy': 1, 'BadSvcId': 0}
2020-10-05T00:00:00Z {'TotAirings': 3793, 'NoTitleKey': 265, 'EmptyTitle': 0, 'NoCopyKey': 701, 'EmptyCopy': 9, 'BadSvcId': 0}
2020-10-06T00:00:00Z {'TotAirings': 3877, 'NoTitleKey': 242, 'EmptyTitle': 0, 'NoCopyKey': 743, 'EmptyCopy': 1, 'BadSvcId': 0}
2020-10-07T00:00:00Z {'TotAirings': 3855, 'NoTitleKey': 256, 'EmptyTitle': 0, 'NoCopyKey': 725, 'EmptyCopy': 11, 'BadSvcId': 0}
2020-10-08T00:00:00Z {'TotAirings': 3860, 'NoTitleKey': 210, 'EmptyTitle': 0, 'NoCopyKey': 645, 'EmptyCopy': 9, 'BadSvcId': 0}
2020-10-09T00:00:00Z {'TotAirings': 3887, 'NoTitleKey': 229, 'EmptyTitle': 0, 'NoCopyKey': 641, 'EmptyCopy': 2, 'BadSvcId': 0}
2020-10-10T00:00:00Z {'TotAirings': 3834, 'NoTitleKey': 221, 'EmptyTitle': 0, 'NoCopyKey': 683, 'EmptyCopy': 2, 'BadSvcId': 0}
2020-10-11T00:00:00Z {'TotAirings': 3765, 'NoTitleKey': 165, 'EmptyTitle': 0, 'NoCopyKey': 614, 'EmptyCopy': 3, 'BadSvcId': 0}
2020-10-12T00:00:00Z {'TotAirings': 3861, 'NoTitleKey': 155, 'EmptyTitle': 0, 'NoCopyKey': 607, 'EmptyCopy': 5, 'BadSvcId': 0}
PC.py CMGetLinearSchedule error(504) at 2020-10-13T12:00:00Z
There was an error scanning the data
Exiting... Done!

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Excellent. From the subsequent posts, it sounds like PiGS is needed more than ever - and the new built-in DNS server should really simplify installation for those who want to try it on a Windows PC.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
As a win10 desktop user I can vouch that PiGs is running very well and has become more simple to install and use! I Love it!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm pleased to monitor your progress in creation of this system and my knowledge of programming is limited to amazement from watching it done and how many click's and strokes are needed to create the most minor change in a program, my hat's off to Tim and all the others involved.

I have one DVR+ on PSIP (local ZIP) and it works great (it's on 115R and want to keep original Remote buttons), second one's on 135R (needed w/newer TV), so it's on CM Guide and just have to watch the guide to avoid missing recording ABC/CBS News, etc. (it had SNL as unknown) I do set repetitive manual recordings and enter names for them. I depend on Titan TV for accurate program information including (usually) original air-date and View Additional Airings, but I've lately seen less information at times.

I've a real aversion for any 'subscriptions' but am at an age where 'lifetime' deals probably aren't such a bargain but still sprung for the CM TiVo deal. I've three DVR+'s so I'm keeping PiGs in mind for my future as installation gets simpler and current guides get worse.
Art

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
And the nice thing is, one free PiGS installation and one $25/year ($2.08/mo.) SD subscription will service all three DVR+'s, even with their different firmware versions! That's only $.69 per DVR+ per month; try getting that deal from TiVo!

Besides, TiVo has the Rovi guide; PiGS has the guide TiVo used to have before the TiVo/Rovi merger.
I ... am at an age where 'lifetime' deals probably aren't such a bargain.
To be fair to TiVo, "lifetime" refers to the lifetime of the TiVo, not your lifetime. So if you're ever unfortunate enough to fall upon ill health, just list the TiVo on eBay and mention its lifetime subscription; that'll give it good resale value.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #552
SUBJECT(lol) Proof that SD gets daily updates of data...

My DVR that had not yet done its update today was showing Patriots versus the chiefs game at 3:00 p.m. from yesterday's update, which didn't match what was showing online, but after todays SD download and DVR update occurred, it then showed the bears playing which is what it was supposed to be!
channel master data of course shows the wrong game and it will never update since they only get a download from Rovi once a week or less. Absolutely no chance there of handling changes in the schedule.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Did the subject line option disappear when the forum changed?
Yes, looks like it did, but you can get a similar effect just by typing a topic sentence in bold and hitting Return a couple of times. In fact I think that's how old posts with subjects were converted.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #554 (Edited)
PiGS on Windows 7 install in 15 minutes start to finish!

I made a Pi Zero install video, but it was like an hour long including the OS install. Maybe I'll work on that later...

With the incorporation of the DNS server into PiGS I wanted to see how fast I could get it running using Frank70's packaged PiGS zip file...

My goal was 5 minutes, but my PC was running a bit slow and I talk too much.

Note: I skipped the part where you have to create an account at Schedules Direct (7-day free, no CC needed).

Now I did cheat a little in that video by skipping the part where you should use fixed or Static IP's for your PC and DVR.
One way to do that is in this next video, or if that doesn't work, use Frank70's instructions
found here.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Some questions that may have been answered in previous posts.

My 2 dvr+ have in their channels to be received via OTA far more than the guide I setup with PiGS and SD. And yet when I see PiGS running and view the log real time should I not be seeing requests coming from the DVR+ for those channels/stations that go unprocessed because the guide data is NOT available? I see the requests coming and they all get processed. So what is happening?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #556 (Edited)
Len, It is not clear what you area asking. You need to be more specific - are you saying some channels are just getting 2-day of OTA data while some are getting the 14-day pigs data? what channels specifically? it would be helpful if you attached your json file and pigslog.txt to your post when asking a question like this.
when did you add those channels? are they moved or newly scanned/added channels? did you look at the pigs build log?
Is there a line for the channel(s) in question like: LS:BLS: Added 213 programs for channel 57.2, RfChan=21 (StationID=49938)
after messing with the channel lineup did you hit the Save button? did you do a Guide Refresh on the DVR after making those changes?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I will email you may json and pigs log files. I will try to explain it again

PiGS runs and correctly downloads guide data from SD for 68 channels that I have selected to get SD guide data for.
Both of my DVR+ have more than 68 channels in the line up (like close to 90).
So when the DVR+ send requests for guide data to PiGS the DVR+ must be requesting guide data for the channels that PiGS and SD did not process. So why do I see all requests from DVR+ being processed? I would think there would be some messages saying request NOT processed.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #558 (Edited)
what is your zipcode again.... and a few of the channels that are missing... actually all of the channels that are missing if you can.
the dvr does not send a list of channels it wants data for, it just says "give me the schedule for utc 04:00 - 08:00"
You have to select the channels you want to send to the dvr in the 'Preview list'
so if you dont have that channel selected in your pigs favorites, the dvr will never get it.

More specifically, the CM/Rovi process DVR follows was this:
1-you put a zipcode into dvr+
2-dvr+ asks CM, give me the service code for 07801, and CM will respond with 901170 & 20517
3-dvr asks CM for the list of channels and icons for service codes 901170 & 20517
4-901170 & 20517 have a big list of channels in them, not all of which you can receive (so more data is sent that dvr can use)
5-dvr says (in 90 4hr blocks), give me the schedule for 901170 & 20517
The Pigs methods works with dvr+ like this:
1-there can be any zipcode in dvr+, except 00000
2-we redirect all dvr+ request to pigs
3-dvr+ asks pigs, give me the lineup code for 07801 (or any zip), and pigs ALWAYS responds with service code 99999
4-you configure pigs using zipcodes,previews,lineups,icons,options, favorites and click SAVE settings
5-pigs builds your custom lineup service code 99999 with schedule data behind it (99999 now contains just the data dvr needs)
6-dvr asks pigs for the list of channels and icons for service code 99999
7-99999 has the list of channels YOU configured in it,
8-dvr says (in 90 4hr blocks), give me the schedule data for service code 99999
9-pigs sends the schedule data

This is why, after making UI changes on PiGS, you MUST do one Manual Guide Refresh (MGR) on DVR+ because the custom service code 99999 is created by PiGS and dvr+ has no way of knowing when you make changes like adding channels, changing icons, or anything else you modify and then say Save Settings.

When accessing/changing the CM/Rovi guide, you had to rescan, or change zip codes which was the clue for DVR+ to request the new lineup/service code, but with PiGS we are kind of making changes behind the scenes, so we have to let DVR+ know we have made changes on PiGS by doing the occasional MGR.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
My zip is 07801 and some of the channels missing correctly from the SD guide include17.1 through 17.7,35.1, 35.2, 39.1, 39.2. There or more.

If the way it works is the PiGs sends the preview list to the DVR and then the DVR gets the guide from the preview list than it is working fine.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #560
My zip is 07801 and some of the channels missing correctly from the SD guide include 17.1 through 17.7,35.1, 35.2, 39.1, 39.2. There or more.
If the way it works is the PiGs sends the preview list to the DVR and then the DVR gets the guide from the preview list than it is working fine.
ok, looking at your pigs.json... 17.1 is listed is in your preview list but you dont have it selected, so it wont be sent to the dvr.
SO - anything not selected as a favorite, wont be sent to the dvr...

but most of the other channels you mentioned are not in the 07801 preview list as a choice, so these are your options...

Choice #1) (will take some time) log in to your SD account and submit a ticket to lineup support Schedules Direct and give them your zip and a list of the missing channels and they will get them added. After they are all added, you can verify with a preview of your zip - when they are all there, you will have to 1) delete the existing lineup in PiGS (b/c it was a snapshot of the lineup when you added it), 2) preview the zip again, 3) select favs, 4) re-add the lineup, 5) save settings, 6) do a manual guide refresh so dvr gets the new channel icons and lineup from pigs.

Choice #2) (should work right now) It appears 07801 is near NYC. so maybe you have some far away powerful stations with tall towers. preview another zip code(s) near where the broadcasts originate from. I'm pretty sure you will find zips that have the channels you are missing. Select just the channels you are missing in those lineups and add that lineup to pigs. You can have up to 4 zipcode/lineups in pigs (a limit imposed by SD). then you have to 5) save settings, 6) do a manual guide refresh on your dvr's so they get the new channel icons and lineup from pigs. That should work.
Couple notes: you can only have one channel 17.1 (for example) across all the lineups, but pigs will warn you if you have a channel selected more than once.

You should actually do both of these. #2 for yourself for immediate gratification, and #1 to improve the accuracy of the SD data, which helps everyone.

You could NEVER do this on the CM Rovi Guide!! Again, another benefit of the external pigs guide and SD data.

I think thanks to @JHBrandt for that feature request way at the beginning of this project.

Let us know the result

541 - 560 of 697 Posts