AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 709 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
My dvr+ and TV pick up stations NOT in the sd guide and stations I don't intend to view and/or need guide data for. So I would never consider asking SD to make any changes. My only interest was to understand better how PiGS works interacting with the DVR+ when their are more channels in the DVR+ lineup than the guide data provided by SD and grabbed by PiGS. This is NOT an issue for me! This is NOT an SD issue. For example I am 30 miles from NYC and yet I can pick up Philly stations at times. I am not going to as SD to include them.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #562 (Edited)
My dvr+ and TV pick up stations NOT in the sd guide and stations I don't intend to view and/or need guide data for.
You should be letting SD know. They have no way to know when new channels are added to, for example, the 17.1 primary channel. When you send in a request, it initiates an algorithm that does some type of terrain analysis and updates many local zipcodes so it will just work better overall. It is an SD problem if you can receive a channel that is not in their zipcode database. SD is a cooperative effort, just read the two paragraphs on their home page. We are part of their effort to make things better for all.

Maybe you should Hide the channels using the dvr menus if you dont intend to view them. out of sight, out of mind.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Tim I understand where you are coming from. However I am in a situation where I can receive what 95% of the people in this zip code can't. Most of these hard to get channels I really have no interest in recording. If I don;t plan to record anything with the DVR+ there is no point to having it in the guide. There is a point to not hide it as I might in flipping channels find something of interest. I like having a guide that reflects what I may record or watch 99.99% of the time.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
AIUI @LenL is just asking about the logs. He doesn't want a guide for, say, channel 17.1, so he's deselected it in the PiGS lineup.

I assume he's not getting guide data for the channels he doesn't want it for, so he doesn't have a problem with how PiGS is working - it's just that looking at the PiGS logs, it looks to him as if PiGS did supply guide data for channel 17.1, etc. even though it didn't (as he desires).

Does that help?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
PiGS has 68 stations for guide preview: BSL: Build complete. 68 stations in Service list.

However there are 90 DVR+ requests:LS:GLS:Request complete! 439 Listings. LI=36288 RequestCount=90, Elapsed= 05:51s

This is why I thought the DVR+ was asking for guide data for all of my stations. Not understanding how I get 90 requests for guide updates when there are only 68 stations that I have guide data for. Maybe this was explained in an earlier post.
I was expecting only 68 requests from the DVR+.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
However there are 90 DVR+ requests:LS:GLS:Request complete! 439 Listings. LI=36288 RequestCount=90, Elapsed= 05:51s
The number of requests is always 90. Each request is for 4 hours of data, so it's asking for 15 days worth of data. Any given 4-hour request gets all stations for that period.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Frank70, did you mean the final number is always 90? Because it starts with request 1 and goes up to request 90. Maybe I don't understand what the requests are? because there are 90 of them from the DVR+. The math doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Frank70, did you mean the final number is always 90? Because it starts with request 1 and goes up to request 90. Maybe I don't understand what the requests are? because there are 90 of them from the DVR+. The math doesn't work for me.
It takes 6x4hrs to make up a day. The DVR+ requests 15 days (enough for its 14 day guide and extra to scroll into the 14th day as time marches on). 6x15 = 90. So 90 requests equals 15 days. Each request is for a 4-hour chunk of the day, say from 0:00 thru 4:00 or 12:00 thru 16:00. Each request gets data for all channels for that 4-hour period.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #569 (Edited)
PiGS Version 1.12

Two minor issues were found with V1.11, PiGS in Python 3.5 crashed on some code that was accepted in later Python versions, and the Windows time conversion functions worked differently when converting to local time (for the DNS status) so I needed to update that. If your V1.11 is working, I don't think you need to update.

Version 1.12 can be found at pigs.goihl.com

On the /status page Last Req defaults to xx:00:00 but then will start changing when PiGS receives DNS requests from DVR+.
If it stays stuck at xx:00:00 PiGS is not receiving DNS requests.

"DNS Enabled": "True, Last Req: 19:00:00",

A clue that DNS is working on PiGS but the DVR is not configured correctly is this log message:

PIGSDNS: Has not received a DVR DNS request for 300 seconds...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tried running 1.11 (both .exe and .cmd) after closing old PiGS and server but get an error code 503 “PiGS is busy” when I try to log into SD. This happened with 1.0 at first but it's been running great since. Because 1.0 works so well, I'll stick with it - If it aint broke... But, I really want to say Thanks to timothee for adding the latest features so now PiGS is what I'd hoped for. Amazing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
PiGS Version 1.12

A clue that DNS is working on PiGS but the DVR is not configured correctly is this log message:

I setup PiGS this weekend and had exactly this problem. When I put a static IP address in my DVR I put all zeros in Secondary DNS only to find later that the DVR had replaced that with an IP address from DHCP. So I put the same IP address in both DNS records and it's worked since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I upgraded to version 1.11 for windows and everything has been fine so far. I would like to thank Frank70 for all his help and big shout out to timothee for coming out with a fantastic program and bringing our DVR+'s back to life. Thank you so much.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #573 (Edited)
only to find later that the DVR had replaced that with an IP address from DHCP. So I put the same IP address in both DNS records and it's worked since.
That doesn't make sense that the DNS2 would get filled in.
Make sure you have [Auto Setup] disabled then fill in the IP addresses. And you have to hit [Confirm} at the bottom or the changes you made on the Network screen will be lost. Go to point 8:50 in this video and you can see me do it on a DVR

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #574
Because 1.0 works so well, I'll stick with it - If it aint broke... But, I really want to say Thanks to timothee for adding the latest features so now PiGS is what I'd hoped for. Amazing!
I think you should try 1.12. there are a few possibly serious bugs in 1.0 that can cause it to crash under certain conditions or error situations at SD. Just install 1.12 in a new folder, like pigs2. If you start clean without a pigs.json file then the DNS will set itself up and you won't need to use the technitium thing.
If there are issues just email your pigslog.txt to [email protected] and we'll see what's not working right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Timothee,

Do you suggest running v1.12 instead if v1.11 for windows 10? I just updated to v1.11 a few days ago and everything is running fine. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I was running v1.11 and had no issues and Tim has said if you are not having issues keep it. However I like to stay up to date so went to v1.12. I have v1.11 still available to use as I did not delete it. In fact it is quite easy to keep several versions just in case there is an issue. PiGS does not take much disk space. I think it is a personal preference if you want to stay up to date with the latest version. With each update there are some fixes and possible tweeks that may or may not be of interest to you.

The updates are so simple to do and only take me a minute or so to do. Thanks! To Tim and Frank!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #578 (Edited)
Timothee,
Do you suggest running v1.12 instead if v1.11 for windows 10? I just updated to v1.11 a few days ago and everything is running fine. Thank you for your input.
The short answer is yes, in general I do think it is a good idea to keep up to date with the versions, so that if you do encounter an issue, it's easy to compare against others. PiGS is very new and bugs will be discovered. The more people that use PiGS with different zip codes and on different hardware, the more likely bugs will be found. It's a LOT of code. For example, V1.0 schedule build bugs were discovered when the SD servers went down, which caused the 'builder' thread to die inside of pigs leading to "Pigs is Busy' messages. Since then I captured that 'build exception' so that even if the scheudle build aborts due to an error, PiGS can (probably) recover without you having to reboot it.

There were 2 items fixed from 1.11 to 1.12. The first is invisible and is probably harmless, the other you can see on Windows machines if you click

[Click for Detailed PiGS status] under the PiGS Version: V1.12 2020-Oct-04 on the pink screen​

You should see something like this: DNS Enabled "True, Last Req: 13:18:09
If you see random text instead of a time (the trailing end of the words "xxx daylight time"), you have the bug. It is being displayed incorrectly, internally pigs is working fine.

That time updates each time PiGS receives a DNS request from a DVR, like every 21 seconds (hit F5 to refresh the status page) and I find that information helpful to know that things are working as expected.

All that being said... I almost never update software. I'm still using Win7 because it does what I need. I don't update apps on my phone for a month or more after they are released because as a developer, I know its quite easy to introduce new bugs when adding features. That is why I try to be clear and detailed in the ReleaseNotes.txt on what was changed and how bad it was.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
On the /status page Last Req defaults to 19:00:00 but then will start changing when PiGS receives DNS requests from DVR+. If it stays stuck at 19:00:00 PiGS is not receiving DNS requests.

"DNS Enabled": "True, Last Req: 19:00:00",
Funny... with v1.12 I get:
"DNS Enabled": "True, Last Req: 20:00:00",

561 - 580 of 709 Posts