AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe I found a way to simplify the DNS redirect for epg.channelmastertv.com. I logged into my router and added .channelmastertv.com the domain name given out by the router’s DHCP server. Then I went to my PiGS machine and gave it a hostname of epg and set it to receive a DHCP address rather than a static address. After a reboot the device is able to be found on my local network with epg.channelmastertv.com. I changed the DVR+ IP address back to automatic and rebooted. Upon restart the guide data was refreshed.

By eliminating the need for dnsmasq to run on my device I have simplified the setup and opened up the possibility for more options to run PiGS using python (e.g. Pi, Linux, and Microsoft Windows). That said, while this worked beautifully on my Asus router, perhaps not all routers have the option to set a local domain name.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I believe I found a way to simplify the DNS redirect for epg.channelmastertv.com. I logged into my router and added .channelmastertv.com the domain name given out by the router’s DHCP server. Then I went to my PiGS machine and gave it a hostname of epg and set it to receive a DHCP address rather than a static address. After a reboot the device is able to be found on my local network with epg.channelmastertv.com. I changed the DVR+ IP address back to automatic and rebooted. Upon restart the guide data was refreshed.

By eliminating the need for dnsmasq to run on my device I have simplified the setup and opened up the possibility for more options to run PiGS using python (e.g. Pi, Linux, and Microsoft Windows). That said, while this worked beautifully on my Asus router, perhaps not all routers have the option to set a local domain name.
Wow. ok. way cool. this is windows? I think we will need a little more help on making these settings. I will look in my router and see if it can do that.

Can you explain what exactly is happening? This wont break any of our other routing? I seem to have a similar setting in my Local Network settings page [Host Name]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have gone over the spreadsheet that Timothee put together and now am starting to have questions:
It is not clear to me under "Pigs Way" section if the DVR+ has to have any changes made to it to use PIGS. Do I change zip codes etc?
Also what prevents the DVR+ from going to CM for the guide even in a PIGS environment unless the PIGS PC or raspberry is on 24 hours a day 7 days a week? That is not clear.
I would prefer not to have a PC on 24 hours a day 7 days a week and only bring it up when I actually need to or if I want to update the DVR+ 14 schedule which may only be once or twice a week. So is that a problem?
all that matters is that the zip is not 00000 which means OTA guide,
the DNS 'redirection' is what prevents dvr from going to CM. if your server pc is offline, dvr is find with that - it just waits until it is online as multiple beta tests have shown

I was writing some more how it works stuff, maybe this will help a little...

Addressing other platform Questions
There are two separate problems that had to be solved to replace the DVR+ guide with a 3rd party guide provider 1) A piece of software is needed to retrieve the 3rd party schedule data and reformat into what DVR+ needs/expects, and 2) a method to get the DVR to ask this software (the 'server') for the schedule instead of asking Channel Master (epg.channelmastertv.com)

PiGS is the software that solves the first problem. And since it was written in Python, it appears that PiGS will run on any machine that has Python installed (I did not plan this, I honestly just got lucky). So far, it is working on 3 different Pi models (which are really Linux machines) and a Linux desktop machine. It appears to run on anything we put it on. It's amazing. But that is the beauty of Python. Thank the beta testers for 'just trying it!'

The second problem, redirecting the DVR's request to our PiGS server is the 'trickier' part. You need a DNS 'server' to redirect Channel Masters guide to your guide. Python is standardized across platforms, DNS servers are not, exactly. On Linux (the Pi) it's easy with dnsmasq, another piece of FREE software. You install dsnmasq, add one line of text to a file, and it works. On windows and Macs it's a little harder. Not impossible, but harder, for me at least.

Both of these 'problems' can be addressed by one device, as Raspberry Pi. This is awesome. This is why I chose it.​

But you will see in a very recent post that @1badhombre has already come up with another possible solution to this DNS problem...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow. ok. way cool. this is windows? I think we will need a little more help on making these settings. I will look in my router and see if it can do that.

Can you explain what exactly is happening? This wont break any of our other routing? I seem to have a similar setting in my Local Network settings page [Host Name]
I have tested this using my MX Linux computer and it worked well. I even removed dnsmasq from it to be sure that the router was doing all the DNS work. This works because I have fooled the computers on my network into thinking that .channelmastertv.com is the local domain. Any computers on my network that receive an IP address from the DHCP server of the router now appear as hostname.channelmastertv.com. The DVR+ is looking for epg.channelmastertv.com and when it asks the router it responds with the address of the box I designated to run PiGS provided I gave it the hostname of epg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Any computers on my network that receive an IP address from the DHCP server of the router now appear as hostname.channelmastertv.com.
do you really want that though? :) it's definitely a clever solution and I love that part but won't the new hostname be appended to everything outgoing now? iow embedded in emails, browser fingerprint and so on? or you don't enable dhcp for those locations on the network you don't need it?

since it sounds like your router could support it had you tried leaving a fixed IP for the pigs location and appending the router's hosts file with ' epg...'? that seems like the simplest no matter what platform. but as you say above, maybe not everyone's router supports that kind of change.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have tested this using my MX Linux computer and it worked well. I even removed dnsmasq from it to be sure that the router was doing all the DNS work. This works because I have fooled the computers on my network into thinking that .channelmastertv.com is the local domain. Any computers on my network that receive an IP address from the DHCP server of the router now appear as hostname.channelmastertv.com. The DVR+ is looking for epg.channelmastertv.com and when it asks the router it responds with the address of the box I designated to run PiGS provided I gave it the hostname of epg.
Well, unfortunately some guide requests (earlier versions of the DVR+ firmware?) go out to roproxy-guide.echostarcdn.com instead. The network's domain (if you have a router that even allows that to be specified - mine doesn't) can't be both. The dnsmasq solution handles this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For those who don’t want to purchase a Pi device, you could utilize an old PC by installing MX Linux 19.2. I recommend MX Linux because it is one of the few Linux distros that doesn't bind systemd to port 53 (DNS) which would create a conflict with dnsmasq.

PiGS can be set to autostart by adding the following line to the end of the etc/init.d/rc.local file:

python3 /path to pigs directory/pigs.py 80

I have tested PiGS on an old laptop with MX Linux and it worked fine.
Another option...

Many routers are Linux based.

You might be able to add entries into its HOSTS file by using a program like puTTY.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any computers on my network that receive an IP address from the DHCP server of the router now appear as hostname.channelmastertv.com.
I like the thought process, but another maybe insignificant result is that you would no longer be able to get the the real www(dot)channelmastertv(dot)com or support(dot)channelmastertv(dot)com because it would be trying to resolve it on your local network. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wonder if PiGS and the other needed progs would run on a Synology NAS? I have one, and it has Python 3.5, but a few tests had road blocks asking for a password. Not sure I want to muck around too much right now, as I have a lot of files backed up on it, (as well as elsewhere) and don't want to risk borking the OS.

Seems like it would be feasible. But, as my Pi is performing well, I won't try to reinvent the wheel. Anyone have thoughts?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Wonder if PiGS and the other needed progs would run on a Synology NAS? I have one, and it has Python 3.5, but a few tests had road blocks asking for a password.
Many of these NASs will have a default root password of welc0me (that's a zero where you might expect to find an o) that has never been changed. My WD My Cloud will let me log in as root that way. But it is a few years old and only has Python 2.7 installed, so there would be the hassle of installing Python 3.x and dnsmasq. Also, if you can log in as a user on the NAS, just not as root, then try "sudo sh" and supply the user's password (may work if user is granted sudo privileges).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks! Will try that after making sure I have backups of the backups on the Syn DS211. Trying it more as another way for others to use existing hardware.

The DS211 NAS is from 2011, and has a 1.6 GHz core proc. 256 MB RAM. Works flawlessly as a NAS and file/media server via Patriot Box Office to HDTVs, not sure it has the oomph for PiGS.

I know it will do cameras and other things. Just seems a bit proprietary and cautious about which progs it will run.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I like the thought process, but another maybe insignificant result is that you would no longer be able to get the the real www(dot)channelmastertv(dot)com or support(dot)channelmastertv(dot)com because it would be trying to resolve it on your local network. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark
You are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

Although, for most DVR+ users, ChannelMaster has very little to offer at this point.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Many of these NASs will have a default root password of welc0me (that's a zero where you might expect to find an o) that has never been changed. My WD My Cloud will let me log in as root that way. But it is a few years old and only has Python 2.7 installed, so there would be the hassle of installing Python 3.x and dnsmasq. Also, if you can log in as a user on the NAS, just not as root, then try "sudo sh" and supply the user's password (may work if user is granted sudo privileges).
What worked was telnet nas ip, then user and pw, then sudo -i, then the pw again got me to the root. It has python 3.5, and dnsmasq installed, but sudo dnsmasq returns dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use
Tried turning off Pi, no change. Don't want to break a working pi/PiGS setup to MAYBE get it working on a NAS, but would be cool if it could.

pip3 and apt commands also not found.

I suspect PiGS can be made to work on the NAS. Maybe not by me....

·
Registered
437 Posts
What worked was telnet nas ip, then user and pw, then sudo -i, then the pw again got me to the root. It has python 3.5, and dnsmasq installed, but sudo dnsmasq returns dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use
Tried turning off Pi, no change. Don't want to break a working pi/PiGS setup to MAYBE get it working on a NAS, but would be cool if it could.

pip3 and apt commands also not found.

I suspect PiGS can be made to work on the NAS. Maybe not by me....
You can probably install pip and get dnsmasq to work. The default configs on the NAS just require some files to override the defaults for dnsmasq. If one were going to try this it would be best to have a full backup of the data and a way to restore the NAS OS if you wedge it too tightly for it to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed AntiX Linux on because it was one of the few distros that supported the hardware on it. Do you know if this distro doesn't bind systemd to port 53 etc?
LenL, AntiX is a good lightweight distro that does not implement systemd. You should be good to go. If anyone wanted to install a version of Linux that supports systemd you can still install dnsmasq. You just need to disable the systemd-resolved service. But it does take some tedious editing via the terminal.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Mark
Mark, I believe you may have missed the difference between channelmaster(dot)com and channelmastertv(dot).com. I changed my internal domain to channelmastertv. The support and www links to the Channel Master site still work fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mark, I believe you may have missed the difference between channelmaster(dot)com and channelmastertv(dot).com. I changed my internal domain to channelmastertv. The support and www links to the Channel Master site still work fine.
Oh my! I stand corrected. When I typed in the channelmastertv.com in my browser, I didn't notice the re-direct to channelmaster.com. So, yes, a moot point for that domain.

Mark

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can probably install pip and get dnsmasq to work. The default configs on the NAS just require some files to override the defaults for dnsmasq. If one were going to try this it would be best to have a full backup of the data and a way to restore the NAS OS if you wedge it too tightly for it to work.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I think I'll keep my grubby mitts out of the NAS. As I recall, setting it up required several hours for the unit to format/prepare the hard drives. Then the OS and then the files. No thanks.

However, the wife's company has a "spare" DS 213 that I setup as their server in 2014. They have since grown into a multi-million $ company, and have outgrown my skill set as their IT guy. They use a windows computer as their server now. We'll see how reliable that is, as the Synology NAS was rock solid for 5 years. I'm glad they have someone else do their IT work.

Not sure if I will borrow their NAS to try PiGS. Would be fun, but I have too many remodeling projects to do on my 1928 house in my "spare" time. Will post if I lose my mind and try it.

41 - 60 of 540 Posts