AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 631 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #581 (Edited)
Funny... with v1.12 I get:
"DNS Enabled": "True, Last Req: 20:00:00",
yeah... i was trying to init the time to 00:00:00 but that proved to be somewhat difficult. I think what it did do is init to UTC 00:00:00, then it gets coverted to your localtime
The point is, its xx:00:00 and then will start changing once DNS requests start arriving.

has anyone else been experiencing very annoying browser re-directs on the new AVS forum? I'm getting them multiple times per day.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #582 (Edited)
Timothee,
.Is the link in post 569 good for windows also? If it is I will take your suggestion and update.Thank you.
Yep, just click on the Pigs for Windows.... in the upper right.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
has anyone else been experiencing very annoying browser re-directs on the new AVS forum? I'm getting them multiple times per day.
Not me, but I've seen reports of ads hijacking browsers on AVS in the Community Feedback forum. Time for an ad blocker - If you're on a mobile device, I'd suggest (‎Ad blocker - Adblock block ads) for iPad/iPhone or something similar for Android. On a desktop system, I'd suggest "uBlock Origin". There are also customized CSS scripts on the Community Feedback forum that both block ads and render the new forum pages much more readable (but not usable on mobile browsers).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think you should try 1.12. there are a few possibly serious bugs in 1.0 that can cause it to crash under certain conditions or error situations at SD. Just install 1.12 in a new folder, like pigs2. If you start clean without a pigs.json file then the DNS will set itself up and you won't need to use the technitium thing.
If there are issues just email your pigslog.txt to [email protected] and we'll see what's not working right.
I watched your win7 tutorial and found the problem. v1.12 works great, Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
]

What was the problem? Let us know....
The fix was by enabling automatic router IP setting for win10 and using that for the PiGS address as you suggested. After setting the DVR+ Primary DNS to that address and keeping the “out of range” address for it's IP it worked. Prior with a fixed win10 IP and Primary DNS assigned with the same address v1.0 PiGS worked.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
yeah... i was trying to init the time to 00:00:00 but that proved to be somewhat difficult. I think what it did do is init to UTC 00:00:00, then it gets coverted to your localtime
The point is, its xx:00:00 and then will start changing once DNS requests start arriving.

View attachment 3044444
Yes! It was happening to me to but I thought it was just me since I did not see anyone else mention it. It seemed to come and go. It was weird.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That doesn't make sense that the DNS2 would get filled in.
Make sure you have [Auto Setup] disabled then fill in the IP addresses. And you have to hit [Confirm} at the bottom or the changes you made on the Network screen will be lost. Go to point 8:50 in this video and you can see me do it on a DVR

I can put the zeros back in and try it again on Saturday.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks timothee and all the others who have contributed! I was able to install Pigs v1.12 without issue on a WIN 10 pro version 2004 computer. I did set my network connection to Private prior to starting but otherwise I just followed the video step by step.
I use a NEEO remote to control my AV setup. For some reason I couldn't/can't find my original DVR+ remote. Fortunately the NEEO remote did have all the needed commands to set the IP addresses but it took me awhile to access the commands (I rarely use numbers and dots but I found where I had "hidden" them within the NEEO). Once I got the DVR+ configured the guide update worked.
Again THANKS. Its great to have an extended guide again. Fantastic work!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #593 (Edited)
Thanks timothee and all the others who have contributed! I was able to install Pigs v1.12 without issue on a WIN 10 pro version 2004 computer. I did set my network connection to Private prior to starting but otherwise I just followed the video step by step.
if you're going to use this long-term you're probably going to want to make sure your PC and DVR addresses are fixed or static. The next video I did talks about fixing your IP with your router or how to figure out available static IPs that you can set. Read Frank70 detailed instructions on how to set the static IP on a PC.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #595 (Edited)
is it possible to set up pihole on the same pi as pigs?
Yes, a few have done it. maybe they can add their 2 cents.
since PiH is acting as a dns server (using port 53), pigs dns will need to be off and you will have to add the pigs re-directs to the etc hosts file.
i think there was also an issue with the PiH's ui wanting to use port 80, but that person was able to change it to another port like 8080
another option would be to put PiH on the wired interface and Pigs on the wifi interface, which will take a little pigs.json config.
See this post

·
Registered
208 Posts
is it possible to set up pihole on the same pi as pigs?
Yes, you can run it on the same machine. It's what I do. My server is hosting a lot of things (Emby server, pi-hole, pigs, ubiquiti unifi controller, ubiquiti unms controller). You just need to make sure there is no tcp/udp port conflict between all those services. By default, the admin management gui for pi-hole is set to port 80. Pigs absolutely needs to run on port 80. You need to move this first.

1. Edit lighttpd.conf (etc lighttpd ) and change server.port from 80 to something else like 8080. Restart pi-hole. Now to access the pi-hole admin gui, you need to do that: http://pi-hole_ip_address:8080/admin
2. On pi-hole admin page, in "Local DNS Records", add those 2 redirections needed for pigs to work (epg.channelmastertv.com for 135r). No need to add this in the etc hosts file.
3. (optional): if you want to block the dvr+ firmware update process, just add the urls in the "blacklist" section of the Pi-Hole admin page. Pi-hole will give the ip address 0.0.0.0 to the dvr+ when doing a firmware check
4. Install pigs following @timothee instructions. Make sure to turn off DNS on pigs admin page.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Also, psip data is never really off... 00000 means dont download internet data... >00000 does not turn off psip data. You can see this right after you initiate a manual refresh. Quickly hit exit, then bring up the guide (which is difficult) and you will see guide data {psip} even before pigs sends any data. Then as the pigs data comes in, the psip data is overwritten...
It occurred to me that you could use this DVR+ feature to your advantage with PiGS. If SD has the wrong schedule for a channel (rare but it's been known to happen), you can just take it off your favorites in PiGS until SD gets it fixed, and the DVR+ will use PSIP for that channel's guide, which will likely be accurate (albeit only a day or two long).

Once SD gets the problem fixed, you can add the channel back to your favorites and start using the full two weeks of SD data for it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Version 1.12 broke on me today. I sent Tim and Frank a screenshot in an email. Not sure what to make of this. It was running fine till today. I ran with v1.11 instead just fine. This message just kept scrolling.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #599
i just renamed my pigs.exe to p.exe and ran the batch file pigs.cmd and thats what you get.... a repeating chain of pigs 80's
i remember now, i found my pigs.exe in the virus scanner quarantine
you need to add an exception to your virus scanner for pigs.exe so it does not delete it.
the python 'compiler' that makes the windows stand-alone package is known to produce false positives with many scanners....

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Tim that was the problem! Hope others learn from my bad experience!

What is strange is it picked on the pigs.exe file for v1.12 but had no issue with the pigs.exe file for v1.11? A bit of a mystery!

581 - 600 of 631 Posts