AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 784 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #661 (Edited)
The only difference is DVR+ #1 Channel Master TV status is Activated and has been for years but not used. I need to find out how to deactivate before trying anything else to know if that matters.
@sam_adams determined that there is NO WAY to deactivate CM TV because the stb server was not responding with anything useful (the IP existed at that time), but it appears that yesterday CM deactivated the stb domain.

It's just a side effect of PiGS that it prints an error message when it didnt get a response to that DNS forward. just add it to pigs.json like I said above and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The only difference is DVR+ #1 Channel Master TV status is Activated and has been for years but not used. I need to find out how to deactivate before trying anything else to know if that matters.
CM probably de-registered that domain name (either temporarily or permanently) today.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, didn't see your post @timothee .

·
Registered
517 Posts
@sam_adams determined that there is NO WAY to deactivate CM TV because the stb server was not responding with anything useful (the IP existed at that time), but it appears that yesterday CM deactivated the stb domain.

It's just a side effect of PiGS that it printed an error message when it didnt get a response to that DNS forward. just add it to pigs.json like I said above and you should be fine.
Yes, either their DNS is broken or they changed the DNS records so that stb.channelmastertv.com no longer resolves:

$ dig stb.channelmastertv.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> stb.channelmastertv.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 52376
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;stb.channelmastertv.com. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
channelmastertv.com. 270 IN SOA ns-1202.awsdns-22.org. awsdns-hostmaster.amazon.com. 1 7200 900 1209600 86400

;; Query time: 4 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.254)
;; WHEN: Thu Nov 12 16:33:54 PST 2020
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 134

and

$ dig channelmastertv.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> channelmastertv.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 4552
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 5

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;channelmastertv.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
channelmastertv.com. 5 IN A 52.218.248.83

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
channelmastertv.com. 172800 IN NS ns-921.awsdns-51.net.
channelmastertv.com. 172800 IN NS ns-1202.awsdns-22.org.
channelmastertv.com. 172800 IN NS ns-2000.awsdns-58.co.uk.
channelmastertv.com. 172800 IN NS ns-462.awsdns-57.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns-462.awsdns-57.com. 122605 IN A 205.251.193.206
ns-921.awsdns-51.net. 122605 IN A 205.251.195.153
ns-1202.awsdns-22.org. 122605 IN A 205.251.196.178
ns-2000.awsdns-58.co.uk. 122605 IN A 205.251.199.208

;; Query time: 18 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.254)
;; WHEN: Thu Nov 12 16:37:51 PST 2020
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 265

CM/E* might finally be doing some housekeeping on their network infrastructure...

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's really kind of lame the way they handled the CMTV deactivation. CM/E* would have all the activation keys stored somewhere and they simply could have sent out a deactivation to all the activated DVR+es a few months after they announced the termination of the service. A guess would be that the people who were responsible for that bit were sacked after the service terminated and no one knew what to do. The recent changes might be a new hire who just came up to speed on things—we'll never really know though.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
It's really kind of lame the way they handled the CMTV deactivation.
Yes, CM left us (those of us who had activated CMTV back in the day) in a catch-22. We need to deactivate CMTV to stop the DNS requests to stb.channelmastertv.com - but we need stb.channelmastertv.com to be working in order to deactivate CMTV!

I suppose we could roll back to a pre-CMTV firmware version; seems a bit extreme, though.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I don't even have CMTV activated, never did, never cared. Yet I just got one of those:
PIGSDNS:GHBN(stb.channelmastertv.com) ('192.168.1.194', 47540): [Errno -5] No address associated with hostname

ping stb.channelmastertv.com
fails for exactly the same reason.

I can fix it in pigs.json, or I can ignore it. I choose the latter.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I have not seen any issues yet. I looked and looked and so far nothing. Like Frank70 never used CMTV.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Strange..... it means the PiGS dns server is not getting a response from the upstream dns server...

From @sam_adams Post stb.channelmastertv.com appears to be associated with the channel master tv app
Anything different about that dvr? firmware version? did you change/do something recently? Play with CM TV?
that is not one I added to the list of urls Pigs dns blocks. The good news is that you should be able to stop the message by adding that host to pigs.json.

Stop pigs. from a command prompt
sudo nano pigs.json (if on a Pi, or use a text editor like Notepad on windows)
find the DnsHosts section
add the line in green, dont forget the trailing comma
save the file, restart Pigs

DnsHosts": {
"epg.channelmastertv.com": "*",
"roproxy-guide.echostarcdn.com": "*",
"stb.channelmastertv.com": "0.0.0.0",
"xpool.ntp.org": "*",
I don't know how to do what you ask. I know the dos screen but haven't used it since 1985 that's about it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #669 (Edited)
Stop and close your pigs, the DOS window.
Go to your start menu, open notepad.
Do file open, all files, navigate to your pig's directory and open pigs.json
Or just wait for 1.20 which will be out in a day or two or three and it will fix it automatically for you

·
Registered
68 Posts
I tried but broke the program. So, I'm using another copy I have. But in the process found microsoft, google, amazon and others with the same error. Less frequently and in groups surrounded by the stb.channelmastertv.com errors.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
But in the process found microsoft, google, amazon and others with the same error.
The DVR+ looks up the addresses of those sites every several seconds to determine whether it's connected to the Internet. If you're getting errors with those, it will conclude it's not connected. In that case I don't think it'll even try to update the guide.

Might want to post the errors you're seeing with those; they should be working, not producing errors. Stb.channelmastertv.com may no longer exist, but microsoft.com isn't going away anytime soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The DVR+ looks up the addresses of those sites every several seconds to determine whether it's connected to the Internet. If you're getting errors with those, it will conclude it's not connected. In that case I don't think it'll even try to update the guide.
Those were in the log before I tried to add the correction timothee mentioned. They were erased when I looked after the failed fix.
Microsoft persistence is known along with the others. That is what I found after eight hours of logging and 2 out of 50 or more were other than stb.channelmastertv.com that could be explained away by simple glitches.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those were in the log before I tried to add the correction timothee mentioned. They were erased when I looked after the failed fix.
Microsoft persistence is known along with the others. That is what I found after eight hours of logging and 2 out of 50 or more were other than stb.channelmastertv.com that could be explained away by simple glitches.
I have attached the phenomena of more than stb.channelmaster etc. fails from sometime last night.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have attached the phenomena of more than stb.channelmaster etc. fails from sometime last night.
It looks like you're having a problem with your DNS implementation. Those addresses should resolve every time, all the time. We do know that stb.channelmastertv.com no longer resolves so that one can be ignored as it's inconsequential to PiGS and the DVR+ operating correctly.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #675
It looks like you're having a problem with your DNS implementation. Those addresses should resolve every time, all the time. We do know that stb.channelmastertv.com no longer resolves so that one can be ignored as it's inconsequential to PiGS and the DVR+ operating correctly.
Not sure if "You're" is Me or Vitess. Frank70 was having a few of these errors. I get maybe a few of these a week, at most. In my code I do a system call to forward the dns requests I cant answer and if it fails (exception), then that error message gets printed.

hostip = gethostbyname_ex(qhost)

except Exception as inst:
Flags[1] += 3 # signal a dns name error for all errors
logging.warning("PIGSDNS:GHBN Error(%s) %s: %s", qhost, addr, inst )

Frank errors occurred on a PiZero running wireless. DNS is udp which means a response is not guaranteed, but it does seem like every one should succeed. A few missed dns responses is probably not a big deal, but if there are hundreds then something is up. I thought about including some error stats to see if we are talking 0.5% or 30%. I did a lot of low level testing to see if it was the code and couldnt find anything. I did some cleanup, better error logging, etc with the next version which is on the server, I just have to write it up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The error was nonexistent until the problem was noted by myself and others after the stb.channelmaster.com removal and no error before it. Having two DVR+ units and only one with the problem on the same system is far more difficult for a single issue. PiGS works right as one of two DVR's shows no issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am hoping that you can give me advice on how to fix Pigs. I am running Pigs on a pi3. This morning I check Pigs and noticed it wasn't running. I received the following status:

[email protected]:~/pigs $ systemctl status pigs
● pigs.service - PiGS AutoStart Service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pigs.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2020-11-20 18:59:39 CST; 4s ago
Process: 6038 ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 /home/pi/pigs/pigs.py 80 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 6038 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 20 18:59:39 raspberrypi systemd[1]: pigs.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Nov 20 18:59:39 raspberrypi systemd[1]: pigs.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Nov 20 18:59:39 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped PiGS AutoStart Service.
Nov 20 18:59:39 raspberrypi systemd[1]: pigs.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Nov 20 18:59:39 raspberrypi systemd[1]: pigs.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 20 18:59:39 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start PiGS AutoStart Service.
[email protected]:~/pigs $

I have Pigs auto-starting on my Pi and have tried to stop, disable, enable, restart etc. I have tried all the command provide in your set up walk through but continue to get the above message whenever in run status. Any ideas how to correct this?

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
that output looks useless, don't know if that's the best systemd can do but you'll have to ask someone else if that's as good as it gets.

I'd open a terminal and manually run this:

/usr/bin/python3 /home/pi/pigs/pigs.py 80

maybe that will show something useful in the terminal but at a minimum it will presumably update pigslog.txt with the most recent attempt.

probably in the /home/pi/pigs/ dir you'll find pigslog.txt, open it and see what it says toward the end. maybe a dependency has gone missing, your pigs.json somehow ended up with an invalid entry, etc.

if nothing too useful you can increase pigs verbosity with "LoggingLevel" in the pigs.json file then retry starting it (unfortunately I don't know the log levels off the top of my head, I think "40" is the next most verbose level).

edit: btw that cmd above may require:

sudo /usr/bin/python3 /home/pi/pigs/pigs.py 80

I don't use a pi so don't really know the setup.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #679
I am hoping that you can give me advice on how to fix Pigs. I am running Pigs on a pi3. This morning I check Pigs and noticed it wasn't running. I received the following status:
[email protected]:~/pigs $ systemctl status pigs
● pigs.service - PiGS AutoStart Service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pigs.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2020-11-20 18:59:39 CST; 4s ago
Eddie's suggestions are good. you could attach your log file pigslog.txt to your post or email it to [email protected]

Running manually is a good idea. Since you are on a Pi you can simplify the commands a little - from a terminal window:

cd pigs
sudo python3 pigs.py 80

and you can watch the messages in the terminal window, and they will also go the the log file.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Attached is my pigslog.txt file. I run pigs to auto start because I have grand daughters that get into everything so I figured they would end up powering down my pi on accident. Anyway, I tried to start pigs manually as suggest and below is the output.

Starting...
PiGS Working Directory on launch: /home/pi/pigs
Logging to file: /home/pi/pigs/pigslog.txt
Logging Level is 20
MAIN: PiGS started at 2020-11-21 08:53(CDT)
Logging Level is 20
MAIN: PiGS Version V1.12 2020-Oct-05
MAIN: Current Working Directory /home/pi/pigs
MAIN: Platform Info
MaxSize(0x7fffffff), Is64-bit(False)
Achritec: ('32bit', 'ELF')
System : Linux
Machine : armv7l
Platform: Linux-5.4.72-v7+-armv7l-with-debian-10.6
Python I: CPython
Python V: 3.7.3
MAIN: http.server Info
server_version: SimpleHTTP/0.6
sys_version: Python/3.7.3
protocol_version: HTTP/1.0
MAIN: PiGS Discovered IP = 192.168.0.200
MAIN: PiGS Serving on Port 80
MAIN: Starting BuilderThread
MAIN: BuilderThread.isalive(): True
MAIN: Delaying DNS Start until Schedule is Built.
MAIN: Queuing BuildAddRemove to verify Lineups...
THRD:BUILDER: Command is Delay
MAIN: Queuing BuildServices...
MAIN: Starting 2 second BuilderTimer
MAIN: HTTPServer binding to IP=0.0.0.0
MAIN: Could not bind to port 80
MAIN: Another PiGS runninng? Try 'sudo lsof -i :80' for pid
MAIN: Waiting for DVR+ requests on Port 80!
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pigs.py", line 1685, in <module>
httpd.serve_forever()
NameError: name 'httpd' is not defined

The above text seems imply another pigs is running. I have run the stop command without success. Below is the result of the 'sudo Isof -i :80' command.

[email protected]:~/pigs $ sudo lsof -i :80
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
lighttpd 541 www-data 4u IPv4 17264 0t0 TCP *:http (LISTEN)
lighttpd 541 www-data 5u IPv6 17265 0t0 TCP *:http (LISTEN)

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

661 - 680 of 784 Posts