AVS Forum banner

701 - 720 of 816 Posts

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Yes you'll eventually have to pay for membership, but at $25/yr, it's a real bargain considering the quality of the schedule data you get.
Also, if your 7-day free trial runs out before you get it working, you can always get a 2-month extension for only $6. That way, if you decide PiGS isn't for you, you're not even out the full $25.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also, if your 7-day free trial runs out before you get it working, you can always get a 2-month extension for only $6. That way, if you decide PiGS isn't for you, you're not even out the full $25.
I tried your suggestions. I think maybe my problem is I am using a switch with 8 outputs all hard wired.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #703
I tried your suggestions. I think maybe my problem is I am using a switch with 8 outputs all hard wired.
I'm not sure how that should make a difference. I have three 8-port switches and a bunch of five ports running so... If your PC was working before and your DVR was working before then there's really no change by running pigs on your PC. Or adding a new device the raspberry Pi. If you somehow messed up your IP addresses then pigs might have difficulty talking to schedules direct login. Like I said you can email me your log file. And while you're at it you could email pigs.json which is the configuration file which might help me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not sure how that should make a difference. I have three 8-port switches and a bunch of five ports running so... If your PC was working before and your DVR was working before then there's really no change by running pigs on your PC. Or adding a new device the raspberry Pi. If you somehow messed up your IP addresses then pigs might have difficulty talking to schedules direct login. Like I said you can email me your log file. And while you're at it you could email pigs.json which is the configuration file which might help me.
email sent

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #707
I needed to type in 192.168 etc instead of clicking chrome icon and now connected.
Well that's good. What are you using for instructions? The Windows video or something else?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well that's good. What are you using for instructions? The Windows video or something else?
I just read the file in download. Now computer works but says could not bind to port 53. dnsmasq loaded? I think I still need to figure out settings on dvr yet.I changed primary dns but I don't know if that's all I need to do.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #709 (Edited)
I just read the file in download. Now computer works but says could not bind to port 53. dnsmasq loaded? I think I still need to figure out settings on dvr yet.I changed primary dns but I don't know if that's all I need to do.
I'm not sure what 'read that file in download' means. I'm a little unclear exactly what platform & version you are installing on, but I think it is windows (7/10?) . Your port 53 error means windows is using (or blocking via firewall) the ethernet port 53 which is how Pigs listens for 'DNS requests' from DVR. You may have got some firewall warning when you first started pigs, which you need to accept. It's possible there is some App using port 53 on your computer, but that seems unlikely - probably skipped the firewall setup in the Windows Setup Doc. You could quit Pigs with Ctrl-C and restart it and see if the firewall warning reappears which you accept, or follow the Windows Setup Doc instructions listed below.

Here is the list of docs -
How to install on Windows (and set your firewall)
Installing on Pi/Linux (there are many install tips about routers, dvr etc there also)
Video for a Windows install : youtu.be/1JhCCJqAmFM (copy & paste to browser)
Video about messing with your router youtu.be/EtE42JsCbMM (copy & paste to browser)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not sure what 'read that file in download' means. I'm a little unclear exactly what platform & version you are installing on, but I think it is windows (7/10?) . Your port 53 error means windows is using (or blocking via firewall) the ethernet port 53 which is how Pigs listens for 'DNS requests' from DVR. You may have got some firewall warning when you first started pigs, which you need to accept. It's possible there is some App using port 53 on your computer, but that seems unlikely - probably skipped the firewall setup in the Windows Setup Doc. You could quit Pigs with Ctrl-C and restart it and see if the firewall warning reappears which you accept, or follow the Windows Setup Doc instructions listed below.

Here is the list of docs -
How to install on Windows (and set your firewall)
Installing on Pi/Linux (there are many install tips about routers, dvr etc there also)
Video for a Windows install : youtu.be/1JhCCJqAmFM (copy & paste to browser)
Video about messing with your router youtu.be/EtE42JsCbMM (copy & paste to browser)
Thank you for all the help. It was defender firewall. I did not know I had 2 firewalls to deal with.Everything works great now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
Are there instruction anywhere for adding different markets. I receive from 4 and when I try to add other channels I lose the first channels I put in.
53593 Preview. Pick favorite channels, click Add lineup (shows up in middle lineup box)
53711 Preview. Pick favorite channels, click Add lineup (shows up in middle lineup box)
53201 Preview. Pick favorite channels, click Add lineup (shows up in middle lineup box)
77345 Preview. Pick favorite channels, click Add lineup (shows up in middle lineup box)
Click Save Settings Button

You cant have any duplicate channel numbers between (e.g. 3.1 cant be in 53711 and 77345

·
Registered
86 Posts
53593 Preview. Pick favorite channels, click Add lineup (shows up in middle lineup box)
53711 Preview. Pick favorite channels, click Add lineup (shows up in middle lineup box)
53201 Preview. Pick favorite channels, click Add lineup (shows up in middle lineup box)
77345 Preview. Pick favorite channels, click Add lineup (shows up in middle lineup box)
Click Save Settings Button

You cant have any duplicate channel numbers between (e.g. 3.1 cant be in 53711 and 77345
I did exactly that and when I'm done some channels only have 1 day of guide.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
I did exactly that and when I'm done some channels only have 1 day of guide.
if you are getting 1-day of data then it is probably PSIP data meaning pigs wasnt configured correctly
So you have 4 lineups in the middle box. As you click on each one, it will say 'XX channels selected' just above the box.
look at the log message on your screen or in pigslog.txt. it will tell you what channels were added and how many listing per channel.
if you click on [Save Settings] right now it will force a re-build and you can watch the messages go by.
and you can email me your pigs.json and pigslog.txt and I can see if something is wrong.

·
Registered
86 Posts
if you are getting 1-day of data then it is probably PSIP data meaning pigs wasnt configured correctly
So you have 4 lineups in the middle box. As you click on each one, it will say 'XX channels selected' just above the box.
look at the log message on your screen or in pigslog.txt. it will tell you what channels were added and how many listing per channel.
if you click on [Save Settings] right now it will force a re-build and you can watch the messages go by.
and you can email me your pigs.json and pigslog.txt and I can see if something is wrong.
pigslog.txt says all the channels are there. Now I am only missing 1. Is it possible there is too much data for my tired old dvr to handle. Anyway I am only missing 1 channel out of 30 something so I am happy.There are 2 channel 40s, there's the conflict. Channelmaster always provided the guide for the wrong one so I can survive with what I have. 3 fox stations so I can just choose to record new episodes from a different one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
Anyway I am only missing 1 channel out of 30 something so I am happy.
Just a reminder, after you make changes and do save settings pigs rebuilds the schedule, but then you do have to do a manual guide refresh so that DVR gets the most recent data. After that as long as you leave pigs running DVR will pick up the data once per day.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #718 (Edited)
There are 2 channel 40s, there's the conflict. Channelmaster always provided the guide for the wrong one so I can survive with what I have.
3 fox stations so I can just choose to record new episodes from a different one.
i dont think dvr can tune 2 channel 40's. did it move 1 to another channel? like 101? pigs can be (should be able to be) configured to get the correct schedule on each channel. The channels are actually determined by the callsign. Channels numbers can be changed to get them schedule to appear on the correct channel.

701 - 720 of 816 Posts