AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
For those that want to try out a Windows (or any OS that VirtualBox will run on for that matter)(just about any OS) solution without obtaining any additional hardware, I have created a set of instructions to create a Virtual Machine running Raspberry Pi Desktop OS. This is a pretty straight-forward solution. It has several steps. 95% or more just require clicking the Next or Continue button. Pay attention because those steps that require something different are important, too. I have been testing this and it seems promising. It has NOT been fully tested or vetted. Your results may vary. @timothee has put in a whole bunch of time in the PiGS solution and we should all be extremely grateful. I know I am. I bought a Pi 4B with 4 GB RAM just because I thought it was a sweet little project.

I then started playing around with options that didn't require additional hardware. The time that I put into this was minimal compared to what @timothee has done. Not even a "drop in the bucket", more like a "drop in the ocean." I just took an existing solution and applied it to @timothee's solution. Virtual Machines were difficult for me to wrap my mind around initially, but once it clicked, it is now just fascinating. Most of it doesn't require any understanding of how it works. Just that it does work.

If you would like to experiment, here is a link to my Google Doc (everything referenced there is open-source and fully supported by other forums and resources on the Internet)(I "created" nothing but the Doc):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NcGa8kfwNbvIeGKdwX2MssGc5kVqpWe3MkHUfznq_uQ/edit?usp=sharing

Out of respect, you will need to obtain the PiGS software from @timothee. My Doc just leads up to the very complete and informative spreadsheet @timothee has created.

This solution will allow you to boot it and leave it running 24/7 OR boot/shutdown whenever you want. There is likely a way to launch at Windows boot, but I haven't fully investigated.

Mark

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
FitMark,

You just confused me (It is easy to do).

So I have a computer now that has win10 on it. Are you saying to install virtual box in order for Raspberry Pi Desktop OS? Is this taking the place of installing Python for Windows 10? Eliminating the need?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
LenL, AntiX is a good lightweight distro that does not implement systemd. You should be good to go. If anyone wanted to install a version of Linux that supports systemd you can still install dnsmasq. You just need to disable the systemd-resolved service. But it does take some tedious editing via the terminal.

The only problem is the only python that is supported seems to be 2.7.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FitMark,

You just confused me (It is easy to do).

So I have a computer now that has win10 on it. Are you saying to install virtual box in order for Raspberry Pi Desktop OS? Is this taking the place of installing Python for Windows 10? Eliminating the need?
LenL,
Instead of trying to come up with a Windows specific solution (i.e. DNS Server and Python for Windows), you would be creating a Virtual Raspberry Pi instead of purchasing an actual (aka physical) Raspberry Pi computer. The only modification to Windows itself would be to install VirtualBox. From within VirtualBox, you create a "virtual machine" (aka VM) that functions the same as a physical computer. All of @timothee's instructions would apply just the same as if you had a physical Raspberry Pi.

In addition, this same solution should work for a Mac, Linux or Solaris computers.

If you decide this solution is not for you, it is just a matter of deleting the VM and uninstalling VirtualBox.

Like I said previously, virtual machines are a mind boggling concept, but you really don't have to understand it all. Just accept the concept.

The attached photo is how the VM looks after it is "built" and running. It just runs in a window within Windows.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only problem is the only python that is supported seems to be 2.7.
LenL,

If you go with the antiX Linux 19.2 Full version it comes with python 3.7.3. That said, I believe FitMark's suggestion of running Raspberry OS on Oracle's VirtualBox is the best solution for those who want to test PiGS without the need to buy additional hardware. Alternatively, you could install Raspberry Pi Desktop on your old laptop instead of antiX.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another option...

Many routers are Linux based.

You might be able to add entries into its HOSTS file by using a program like puTTY.
This works on some routers, but I'm not sure it works on all.

I an running DD-WRT (Linux firmware) on my home router, and it has dnsmasq built in. All you need to do is tick the box to tell it to run dnsmasq (it doesn't run by default) and add the following line to the dnsmasq configuration: 'epg.channelmastertv.com/192.168.1.xx' where the 192....xx is the static IP of your guide server on your local network. That's it. No need for anything to run on the PC - the router does all the heavy lifting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)

I am running DD-WRT (Linux firmware) on my home router, and it has dnsmasq built in. All you need to do is tick the box to tell it to run dnsmasq (it doesn't run by default) and add the following line to the dnsmasq configuration: 'epg.channelmastertv.com/192.168.1.xx' where the 192....xx is the static IP of your guide server on your local network. That's it. No need for anything to run on the PC - the router does all the heavy lifting.
Yep, the router method with OpenWRT is the first thing I tried to redirect the dns. Once I figured out the Pi could do it, I abandoned the router idea since it seemed like extra hardware and I thought the Pi was required anyway. But now that PiGS runs without a Pi, its worth considering this method again, along with all the other methods that have been proposed.
DNS redirect probably deserves a whole tab on the spreadsheet because there are so many ways to do it.

I did just buy a Pi Zero off amazon for $17 and I'm going to try and configure that to do dnsmasq for a cheap DNS redirect method. I dont think the Pi Zero has enough HP run run the PiGS app (memory)

·
Registered
80 Posts

I an running DD-WRT (Linux firmware) on my home router, and it has dnsmasq built in. All you need to do is tick the box to tell it to run dnsmasq (it doesn't run by default) and add the following line to the dnsmasq configuration: 'epg.channelmastertv.com/192.168.1.xx' where the 192....xx is the static IP of your guide server on your local network. That's it. No need for anything to run on the PC - the router does all the heavy lifting.

With DD-WRT, you might not need DNSMASQ running. You can probably puTTY into the OS on DD-WRT and add "/ etc / hosts" entries to accomplish the same thing.

That's what I did with OpenWrt and I am not running DNSMASQ.

-flowersrj

·
Registered
20 Posts
With DD-WRT, you might not need DNSMASQ running. You can probably puTTY into the OS on DD-WRT and add "/ etc / hosts" entries to accomplish the same thing.

That's what I did with OpenWrt and I am not running DNSMASQ.
Oh sure, I know that the etc hosts method works in DD-WRT, but running dnsmasq is as easy as ticking a box, and I can configure it from the management page.

Both are perfectly adequate solutions with no software to install. I just picked the easier one (for me).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont think the Pi Zero has enough HP run run the PiGS app (memory)
I can't comment on PiGS memory footprint since I've never seen the code, but I've been running my own home grown guide server since the DVR+ guide started failing a few months ago, and the host has the same RAM as your Pi Zero -- 512MB.

512MB should be plenty to run PiGS if you switch to TinyCore Linux for the Pi since the memory footprint of your OS is huge compared to TinyCore.

My hardware is an Asus EEE-PC 700 laptop made in 2007 (900Mhz Celeron under-clocked to 630Mhz with 512 MB RAM). My disk drive is a tiny 128MB CF card in a USB reader booting x86 TinyCore Linux. Basically, all that's running is the Linux kernel, Python, my script, and sshd for remote access. Lean and mean, no X, no wireless, nothing not needed. Yes, my 512MB RAM is 4x larger than my disk drive ;-) Laptop has been on 24/7 for close to a decade - it's a tank!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
LenL,

If you go with the antiX Linux 19.2 Full version it comes with python 3.7.3. That said, I believe FitMark's suggestion of running Raspberry OS on Oracle's VirtualBox is the best solution for those who want to test PiGS without the need to buy additional hardware. Alternatively, you could install Raspberry Pi Desktop on your old laptop instead of antiX.

I reloaded with AntiX 19.2 (I think the full version as the ISO was so large I put it on a DVD) and python 2.7 was the version installed. No to 3.7.3.

So right now I blew it away and installed Raspberry PI for the desktop. I am now dealing with the fact that Debian Linux does not recognize my Broadcom b43 card for wireless connection. That is probably why I went with other Linux versions that have no issue with older wireless cards. SO I am spending time trying to get around this issue. I have other ways to connect my laptop (Wired or Wireless USB) so I may give up trying to fix this issue for now and move to the next step in the PiGs installation. So far a very rocky journey for me and I am only at the very beginning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did just buy a Pi Zero off amazon for $17 and I'm going to try and configure that to do dnsmasq for a cheap DNS redirect method. I dont think the Pi Zero has enough HP run run the PiGS app (memory)
I just reconfigured my Virtual Pi to use 512 MB (instead of 1024 MB). It booted. I'll monitor.

Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
512MB should be plenty to run PiGS if you switch to TinyCore Linux for the Pi since the memory footprint of your OS is huge compared to TinyCore.
I just built another Virtual Machine with Tiny Core (I used 512 MB RAM and 1024 MB HDD). It's a bit more cumbersome than Raspberry Pi Desktop OS, but that is just because of my unfamiliarity. I'll have to do a little digging (aka Googling) to get dsnmasq, Python and PiGS installed and configured. Or..., should I just be able to use @timothee's instructions? I'll keep you posted.

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just built another Virtual Machine with Tiny Core (I used 512 MB RAM and 1024 MB HDD). It's a bit more cumbersome than Raspberry Pi Desktop OS, but that is just because of my unfamiliarity. I'll have to do a little digging (aka Googling) to get dsnmasq, Python and PiGS installed and configured.
Definitely more cumbersome to install because TinyCore's philosophy is completely different. It's a bare (really bare) bones system that you build on, adding only the components you need, rather than a fully functioning desktop distro. tce-ab is the app that searches for and installs extensions and all their dependencies. You'll need to install dnsmasq.tcz and python3.6.tcz (not python.tcz which is Python 2.x).

I build my systems with Core.iso and not TinyCore.iso because I don't need X - all y really need is two files, core.gz and vmlinuz, which are pre-configured for wired Ethernet.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
LenL,

RaspBerry Pi Desktop Installed as the OS on my old Lenova laptop. I will now try to follow the rest of the instructions today and try to make some more progress.

Stuck at step 6 as leafpad command not recognized. Also ping of channelmastertv.com not returning results. WIFI is up and running. I can ping the router. lots of issues to fix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I think I'll keep my grubby mitts out of the NAS. As I recall, setting it up required several hours for the unit to format/prepare the hard drives. Then the OS and then the files. No thanks.

However, the wife's company has a "spare" DS 213 that I setup as their server in 2014. They have since grown into a multi-million $ company, and have outgrown my skill set as their IT guy. They use a windows computer as their server now. We'll see how reliable that is, as the Synology NAS was rock solid for 5 years. I'm glad they have someone else do their IT work.

Not sure if I will borrow their NAS to try PiGS. Would be fun, but I have too many remodeling projects to do on my 1928 house in my "spare" time. Will post if I lose my mind and try it.
I've been thinking right from the start of this about getting PiGS running on my Synology NAS. I know there have been various DVR and Plex solutions for the DiskStations, though mine is pretty old. I just looked to make sure and there is a Python development package available as well as a couple DNS options. I also have DD-WRT on my router so we'll see how I feel in a few weeks. I'm not a programmer and I know people have had problems with DiskStations where they still had to telnet into the box and use the default password to gain root access and all sorts of other fun stuff so, again, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Weird Ellen DeGeneres episodes text

Today’s Ellen Show had normal descriptive text, but for Tuesday onward the text has Ellen’s name replaced (in two places) by the string tWitch. Is this an SD error?

Never mind (see below)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
RaspBerry Pi Desktop Installed as the OS on my old Lenova laptop. I will now try to follow the rest of the instructions today and try to make some more progress.

Stuck at step 6 as leafpad command not recognized. Also ping of channelmastertv.com not returning results. WIFI is up and running. I can ping the router. lots of issues to fix.
Line 24 of instructions
Note about Text Editors... each Pi seems to have different editors, look in Raspberry Menu>accessories>Text editor
you will be editing some system files, which need to be run from the command line with the "sudo"
sudo leafpad
sudo nano
sudo apt install leafpad

61 - 80 of 260 Posts