AVS Forum banner

901 - 920 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 3132150

Thanks .... I think you've covered it all, and, amazingly, it makes sense!

BTW, I qualify as one of those OG's re: BBN (BOLT BERANEK AND NEWMAN) but only in knowing the name and that they worked in acoustics (back in 1968), not in the establishment of ARPANet.

Enough of these tech details .... I'm going back to look for more movies to record now that I have a (more than) decent TV schedule on my DVR+ !!

:)

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
iOS, Linux, and Android OS have employed what is called MAC Address Randomization for some time now. It can be a real problem if you have a WiFi setup at home that has access control setup that uses the MAC address of the device to control access.
Yes, I had to turn it off on my two Apple devices for this reason.

Never had to turn it off on Linux (my Pi) or Android though, so I'm thinking the randomization feature appeared rather recently in Android; all my devices are Android 6 or 7.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
I'm curious what happens if PiGS omits guide data for, say, just the first four-hour block or two (or three), but provides it for the rest of the 15-day period.

Several things could happen, I suppose. The DVR+ could hold onto the data it downloaded last time around. I suspect that's most likely what would happen.

Or it could fall back to PSIP for the omitted blocks. If so, that could actually be useful. Since PSIP data is broadcast continuously, it seems like a better choice for last-minute schedule changes. Of course PSIP has drawbacks too (e.g., no "new" flag, and the DVR+ seems to do a poor job of keeping it up-to-date), so it might not be as useful as it could be. But it seems worth finding out at least.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #904 ·
I'm curious what happens if PiGS omits guide data for, say, just the first four-hour block or two (or three), but provides it for the rest of the 15-day period.
Several things could happen, I suppose. The DVR+ could hold onto the data it downloaded last time around. I suspect that's most likely what would happen.
I asked Miss Piggy what she thought about PSIP data and internet guide data interaction, and she said everyone should just get an SD account and use PiGS.

Omitting some data as a test might be a little tricky. If I completely ignore a block DVR will retry sometimes, or it'll just give up until tomorrow. If I send it 'empty data' then DVR quits asking because an empty listing block is the 'flag' to tell DVR to stop asking, which is what CM does when it only sends 12 days of data.

It might be possible to skip a the first few blocks of a particular channel or channels - in that case DVR is getting something and just plopping whatever it gets into the guide and it thinks it's still getting data.

I think we already know what it does though... like you suggested above. When you do a manual guide refresh, the internet guide gets blown away and it immediately gets populated with PSIP data. You can see this by bringing up the guide immediately after initiating manual guide refresh. Then as internet data starts coming in, the PSIP data is overwritten. We already know that the daily guide updates don't erase the internet guide they just update it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been reading the DVR+ page for a couple of years and I decided to register so hence the 1st post.

Can someone point me to a page and or answer a question? I'm running a Linux desktop (Mint). Is it possible to run this program in Mint and do a DVR+ manual refresh of the guide once a day? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #907 · (Edited)
Can someone point me to a page and or answer a question? I'm running a Linux desktop (Mint). Is it possible to run this program in Mint and do a DVR+ manual refresh of the guide once a day? Thanks in advance.
It should work on your Linux install. You just need to have at least Python 3.5, and there's a good chance it's already on your system.

The install instructions are in this shared Google spreadsheet. Follow the pi/Linux tab
PiGS Channel Master DVR+ Guide Replacement
You would start at step 4 since you're not setting up a raspberry pi

You could also read through the very first post of this thread. Really all you need to do is copy the source code from pigs.goihl.com (the download page) into a directory on your machine, open a command terminal and then run it. It's all in the spreadsheet.

Once it's installed and configured with the DVR pointing to your mint machine, you won't even have to do a manual refresh, the DVR will request the schedule automatically, even if you start your machine up each day. If you can leave PiGS running, the update will be completely automatic every 24 hours.

There is a windows install video on the [start here] page of the spreadsheet, and you might watch it just so you get a feel for what to expect when you run the program and configure your DVR.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I originally ran it running Linux and would run it once a day. Then when the Windows solution was developed I switched to WIn10 and run it once a day in the am.

So yes you should be able to install in a Linux distro and run it whenever it is convenient. Once a day or once very few days or even once a week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I originally ran it running Linux and would run it once a day. Then when the Windows solution was developed I switched to WIn10 and run it once a day in the am.

So yes you should be able to install in a Linux distro and run it whenever it is convenient. Once a day or once very few days or even once a week.
Thanks.

I have a duel boot machine with Win7. I use it only when I have to. I'm allergic to Windows...lol. 😷 I'm going to read through everything and try the Linux way. Once a day when I'm on the computer for an update would be great. Or even a couple of times a week. I have been using the PSIP method for the guide and it works ok for me but it sure would be nice to have a real working guide back.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #911 ·
I have a duel boot machine with Win7. I use it only when I have to. I'm allergic to Windows...lol. 😷 I'm going to read through everything and try the Linux way.
Linux is the better way. If you cold boot your machine every couple days you can set Linux/pigs up to auto start when Linux boots. As long as you leave your machine on for 15 to 30 minutes DVR will be itching to get its update and will do it automatically.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Linux is the better way. If you cold boot your machine every couple days you can set Linux/pigs up to auto start when Linux boots. As long as you leave your machine on for 15 to 30 minutes DVR will be itching to get its update and will do it automatically.
Ok great. Thanks. I use the Linux machine everyday for at least 2 hours. Always a complete shut down. So that should workout well sounds like.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I reported a Guide issue that impacted PiGS to Shedule Direct for my local OTA area and they responded in less than 10 minutes that they not only received my request but they are working on it.

Wow I am impressed! They are almost as good as Timothee in responding and fixing issues!

·
Registered
9 Posts
For those who don’t want to purchase a Pi device, you could utilize an old PC by installing MX Linux 19.2. I recommend MX Linux because it is one of the few Linux distros that doesn't bind systemd to port 53 (DNS) which would create a conflict with dnsmasq.
Thanks. I was pulling my hair out. I use Mint and kept getting the "Could not bind to port 53" message. I stuck another SSD in my Desktop and installed MX. Now I have a triple boot system and PiGs works fine! I'll boot up in MX and refresh the guide 2-3 times a week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally got it working. Using Mint I could not bind to port 53. Saw a post about using MX Linux because of systemd. Now I have a triple boot system. Mint, MX, and Win7. I'll refresh the guide on both my DVR+s a couple times a week. Sure is nice to have a decent guide again. I love the season/episode/date aired info!! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #916 · (Edited)
Finally got it working. Using Mint I could not bind to port 53. Saw a post about using MX Linux because of systemd. Now I have a triple boot system. Mint, MX, and Win7. I'll refresh the guide on both my DVR+s a couple times a week. Sure is nice to have a decent guide again. I love the season/episode/date aired info!! Thanks for your help.
glad you got it working, but there is no reason it should not work on mint...

try the following command to find the mint process that is using port 53 and then you should be able to stop it.
sudo lsof -i :53​
if lsof is not on your system install with:
sudo apt install lsof​

let us know the process that has captured your port 53.

Here's a link that explains how to reclaim your port 53 on mint

Ubuntu: How To Free Up Port 53, Used By systemd-resolved

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Raspbian (Raspberry Pi Desktop) works quite well too. I tried it in an Oracle virtualbox under Win10 and it worked just fine for PiGS.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
Low-power TV stations change their programming quite often, which poses a problem for guide services like SD. This week, KLEG in Dallas added a couple of new channels: one, Diya TV, is an Indian-American station they had before. SD never removed it when it went off the air, so once it came back it was already correct. But the other, Ace TV, is brand-new, so the SD guide for that subchannel was totally wrong.

I could've emailed SD and given them the new channel info, then wait a few weeks for them to fix the listings. But I wanted instant gratification! So instead, I went hunting for another Ace TV affiliate somewhere in the US that SD already had listings for. I found Ace on KGPT in Wichita, KS, so I put in a Wichita Zip code (67201) and previewed the lineup. Sure enough, Ace was there, on 26.3. As a bonus, they also had listings for NewsNet, another subchannel with incorrect listings here, on 26.9. So I decided to add 67201 to my lineup and commandeer those two listings. (SD lets you have up to four listing sources per subscription, so I'm using two now and have two more left.)

One problem: we already have a 26.3 in DFW. So I had to "unfavorite" our 26.3 to add the new one from Wichita. No big deal because once I added the two Wichita stations, I edited pigs.json and changed 26.3 and 26.9 to the channel numbers they have here in DFW (44.6 and 44.4 respectively). Now I no longer have a duplicate 26.3, so I can "favorite" it again. (Its listings are wrong too, BTW, but it's a local DFW station that won't be found elsewhere in the US, so I'll just live with it as is.)

I made the same changes to EPG123 for WMC. I also had to plug the correct logos for 44.4, 44.6, and our local 26.3 while I was at it. I found them all by searching the Internet and plunked them into the myicons folder. Now everything is as it should be!

·
Registered
9 Posts
let us know the process that has captured your port 53.

Here's a link that explains how to reclaim your port 53 on mint

Ubuntu: How To Free Up Port 53, Used By systemd-resolved
It was just as the link described. Systemd. I made the changes suggested and my system came to a crawl. PiGS did run but neither DVR would connect. So I just used Timeshift and reverted the changes. Then later I remembered in MX Linux I had to turn off the Firewall (Gufw Firewall) for the DVRs to connect. I even added a rule to connect to port 53. Didn't work. So for now I feel more comfortable with leaving Mint as is and using MX a couple times a week to refresh the guide on both DVRs. It only takes about 10 minutes or so. The other day both DVRs made a refresh call at the same time. PiGS sent the data at the same time alternating the IP address. I was happily impressed!

I'm really happy with having a guide that is better then what we had before!! And it's no problem to boot into MX at the Grub menu. So I'm going to leave well enough alone. Besides it gives me time to explore a different Linux distro...lol. Oh BTW...I tried Win7 and could not keep the Cmd prompt from shutting down. Since I'm deathly allergic to Win10 and Win7 is no longer updated I'd rather stick with Linux for PiGS.

Again thanks for Pigs. This is Great!!

901 - 920 of 949 Posts