AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Real programmers user vi :grin: (available on every linux/unix system for the past 30+ years).
I proudly fly the vi flag here (actually vim these days). Vi rules!

Sadly a "good" vi is not part of many of the less-bloated Linux distros these days. Yes, they all have a vi command, and a vi-like editor, but it's usually the busybox version, which is frustratingly limited. Vi users can't live without the . command

·
Registered
251 Posts
I proudly fly the vi flag here (actually vim these days). Vi rules!

Vi users can't live without the . command
I'd have to add the command-line commands, i.e. the ":" command, and the "^" and "$" special characters (beginning of line and end of line, respectively). Okay, I'm dorking out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'd have to add the command-line commands, i.e. the ":" command, and the "^" and "$" special characters (beginning of line and end of line, respectively). Okay, I'm dorking out. :rolleyes:
vi is the visual extension of ex, which in turn is an extension of ed, which came out of Berkeley (along with Unix) in the early 70s. The ":" bounces you momentarily back to the underlying ex. I guess if there is no underlying ex, that might not work, but a vi clone for DOS/Windows called Elvis that's been around for eons supports ex commands as well as "^", "$", and ".", and just about everything else.

These are the "original" text editors for Unix - eventually along came emacs, but I could never get into all the key combinations.

Sorry for the disruption - back to your regularly scheduled PiGS programming.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
In the NY metro area PBS WNET 13.1 (RF13) is moving to RF 12 on 7/2/2020 at 9 AM. Of course the current guide on the DVR+ will NOT show this change until the next update. (maybe if we are lucky?)

Curious as to how PIGS will handle this using Schedules Direct. However I am only working on step 7 of the instructions and stuck there at the moment. Don't think I will be up and running by 7/2.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
In the NY metro area PBS WNET 13.1 (RF13) is moving to RF 12 on 7/2/2020 at 9 AM. Of course the current guide on the DVR+ will NOT show this change until the next update. (maybe if we are lucky?)

Curious as to how PIGS will handle this using Schedules Direct. However I am only working on step 7 of the instructions and stuck there at the moment. Don't think I will be up and running by 7/2.
I don't know how SD will handle it. but RF is not really part of the guide process. you are indicating that the RF channel is changing, not the actual channel # 13.1. you will have to rescan with your DVR, but the channel number would remain the same and should not affect the guide. one thing that would be helpful is if you captured what your dvr looks like after the rescan. I heard sometimes the old channel gets bumped up to 100+ - I would like to see this. 1) take some pictures of your guide with the new channel showing and the old channel if it is there, and 2) when tuned to each channel (old and new if possible), pictures of the DVR Menu>Technical Information>Signals & Network. that shows the RF and also channel details that would help pigs remap stuff if needed.

I believe JHBrandt had a suggestion about this a long time ago... something about remapping. I could probably make a 'hidden' ChannelRemap[] list that would handle the actual channel number changing if there was a need. SD is pretty good about getting lineups changed when needed if you have an account and give the details about the rf remap.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You are probably right it will remain 13 in the guide as they are keeping channel as 13.1. So a non issue?

·
Registered
20 Posts
one thing that would be helpful is if you captured what your dvr looks like after the rescan. I heard sometimes the old channel gets bumped up to 100+
This won't happen with a complete rescan because the old channel is gone. The DVR+ won't remember the old channel was there.

If you do a manual scan of just the affected channel, then yes, the new frequency will appear at 100+ and the old dead frequency will still be there where it's always been.

That being said, if you happen to hit rescan and both the old and new transmitters are on, you will get a channel at 100+, but that'll only happen if the TV station screws up

Lots of stations moving this week - July 3rd is the expiry date for current (last) wave or repacks. My WVNY-22 is going from RF14 (hi-VHF) to RF7 (mid-VHF) so I'm going to lose it completely. My antenna is UHF, but catches RF14 because it's the highest VHF station and closest to UHF.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Lots of stations moving this week - July 3rd is the expiry date for current (last) wave or repacks. My WVNY-22 is going from RF14 (hi-VHF) to RF7 (mid-VHF) so I'm going to lose it completely. My antenna is UHF, but catches RF14 because it's the highest VHF station and closest to UHF.
RF14 is UHF (470-476 MHz), not HI-VHF. The highest frequency VHF channel is 13 (210-216 MHz).

·
Registered
20 Posts
RF14 is UHF (470-476 MHz), not HI-VHF. The highest frequency VHF channel is 13 (210-216 MHz).
Thanks - that's what happens when you get old and your memory is not what it used to be ;-) I knew they were moving from VHF to VHF.

WVNY is indeed moving from RF13 (high-VHF) to RF7 (mid-VHF). As Maxwell Smart used to say ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks - that's what happens when you get old and your memory is not what it used to be ;-) I knew they were moving from VHF to VHF.
WVNY is indeed moving from RF13 (high-VHF) to RF7 (mid-VHF).
I have never heard of "mid-VHF". Low-VHF covers TV channels 2 through 6. High-VHF covers TV channels 7 through 13. Anything called mid-VHF would be the band between between TV channels 6 and 7 used for FM radio, aircraft communications and a bunch of other things.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never heard of "mid-VHF". Low-VHF covers TV channels 2 through 6. High-VHF covers TV channels 7 through 13. Anything called mid-VHF would be the band between between TV channels 6 and 7 used for FM radio, aircraft communications and a bunch of other things.
Technically you're current - it's just my way of saving keystrokes while typing on my phone. Saying "mid-VHF" is shorter than typing "middle of the VHF band". Basically the channel is moving from the top of the VHF band to the middle of the band.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I'm ooh so close to having PiGS running! Up to step 10. Installed PiGs.

Now going to the chrome browser (I have internet connection OK) and key in the IP for pigs. In my case 192.168.1.226 and I get a refused to connect error.

Anyone have an idea as to what is happening?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
I'm ooh so close to having PiGS running! Up to step 10. Installed PiGs.
Now going to the chrome browser (I have internet connection OK) and key in the IP for pigs. In my case 192.168.1.226 and I get a refused to connect error.
Anyone have an idea as to what is happening?
what is the dns redirect method?
When you started pigs, what was printed on the screen.... the logs.
you can view the end of hte log file with

tail -35 pigs.log
or email the whole pigs.log and i will look at it

You also need to explain EXACTLY what platform, install you are trying to implement this on so a person with that experience can reply. I am Mr. Pi, and Mr. Pigs.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Install is on a Lenovo laptop using Raspberry PI Desktop Debian Buster as the only OS. Kept it simple.

Router is ASUS AC68U

DNSMASQ installed

Emailed log file to you along with some router logs and settings

Router sees IP 192.168.1.226 (PiGS) as one of the devices on the network as you will see from the info I sent you.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
A simple fix from Tim and I am another PiGS Beta tester? A major achievement to get me a Linux novice (at least using terminal commands and not the graphic interface) on the PiGS implementation.

No virtual box. Just Straight Raspbery PI desktop OS on an old Lenovo laptop that now has a new life!

Both of my DVR+ updated the new guide right away.

Another happy PiGS customer! If I can do it anyone can. Although I needed some hand holding.

THANKS TIM!!!!

Regarding 13 WNET going to 12 RF. I did a manual update on one DVR+ and all of my recordings scheduled for 13.1 were changed to 100.1. I had to delete them.

My other DVR+ I did a full channel scan and the recordings set to 13.1 stayed 13.1.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
So I am confused about one little thing at the moment. If schedules direct from my understanding only updates the guide every 24 to 48 hours I can't see leaving our PiGs devices running 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Am I right about this guide update?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
So I am confused about one little thing at the moment. If schedules direct from my understanding only updates the guide every 24 to 48 hours I can't see leaving our PiGs devices running 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Am I right about this guide update?
Program schedule changes could happen daily, not typically, but they could. if your PiGS is off your DVR won't get its daily update when it asks for it. I don't want to have to remember to turn on my PC wait for the DVR+ to download, turn it off again, etc. I just want my 3 DVR's to update when they want to.

The is one reason the Raspberry Pi is the recommend solution: its always on. And @chazdole measured the power usage of the Pi and its only 3 watts. It probably takes more power than that to boot your laptop...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Program schedule changes could happen daily, not typically, but they could. if your PiGS is off your DVR won't get its daily update when it asks for it. I don't want to have to remember to turn on my PC wait for the DVR+ to download, turn it off again, etc. I just want my 3 DVR's to update when they want to.

The is one reason the Raspberry Pi is the recommend solution: its always on. And @chazdole measured the power usage of the Pi and its only 3 watts. It probably takes more power than that to boot your laptop...
I will note that since the DVR+ is persistent in trying to get its guide after 24 hours have elapsed since the last guide update, then if you want to be REALLY thrifty power wise, you could put your Raspberry Pi on a timer and turn it on for only about a half hour each day, during which time any DVR+ units you have would update their guides. The rest of the time it could be off. This presumes you've configured PiGS to autostart (there are many ways to do this) during or after boot. 3 Watts for a half hour is less than the consumption of a 20 Watt bulb being on for 5 minutes a day. And the guide update takes way less than a half hour, I'm just being practical based on you finding a timer that you can program for an on-time and an off-time a half hour apart.

81 - 100 of 260 Posts