Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,

I just want some recommendation for getting a NEW processor , as my PIII 450 has just died (RIP) :D

So I am confused between two processors :

1- PIII 1.0 Ghz .

2- Tualatin 1.3 Ghz .

And I use my PC mainly for :

-DVD Playback.

-Gaming.

-Realtime MPEG2/DIVX capturing @ hi rez.

-T.V watching with Dscaler.

So , what is the best to get ?

Do I REALLY need P4 for these uses with my PC?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Celeron Tualatin is, for all practical intents and purposes, a PIII. It has the same amount of L2 cache(i.e. 256kb), uses a 0.13micron die(runs cooler), and has an additional hardware prefetch support(better performace). Intel purposely crippled it or clocked it slower(i.e. 100Mhz FSB) in order to not compete with their "true" Pentium III Tualatins(that uses a 133Mhz FSB). The 512Kb cache Pentium III-S Tualatin specifically targetted for the server market is another story altoghether. The bottom line is, if you're into overclocking, it's all about the multipliers.

Cheers!

:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hi Minealromany,

The Tualatin 1.3Ghz is basically a Coppermine PIII with a die shrink to 0.13 microns. This means less heat dissipation and clock speeds higher than 1.0Ghz that caused stability problems when Intel tried it with the Coppermine core.

You will need a motherboard (probably a new one) that is capable of supporting a Tualatin PIII. That being the case, it may be worth it to just buy a P4 MB and be future-proof.

The Tualatin Celerons can be overclocked from 100Mhz to 133Mhz and beyond up to 1.5Ghz processor speed. If you go this route, you may want to use a CPU with a multiplier that gives you in spec AGP and PCI busses at 133Mhz. However, Intel just released a 1.4Ghz Celeron so it will just cost you a few more bucks for the "official" version.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would also use tualatin. If you want to upgrade cheaply, you could also check this link: http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm . Basically they are selling a adapter that allows you to fit a new cpu to a old motherboard. I am not exactly sure, if this is the cheapest solution, but it is worth checking.

Also you could thing about buying a SIS635-chipset motherboard that has 2 SDRAM slots and 2 DDR SDRAM slots (you can only use either). A preview behind this link: http://www.digit-life.com/articles/sis635ecsp6s5at/

And fit a AMD duron or ATHLON in it. (I am not sure, but I think that SIS has also similar chipset for INTEL cpus that let's use SDRAM and DDR SDRAM.)

This chipset and motherboards using it are cheap. Some people don't like SIS chipsets and ECS motherboards, which is true in some sense, because they lack some features (mainly overclocking). I have installed this motherboard for my friend and he has never complained about it.

I think that the most important thing after the cost is noise. Some AMD cpus need big and noise cooler, which is not so nice thing for HTPC. Intel P3 and P4 coolers are less noisier. P4 and AMD cpus propaply need a new power supply, which have become noisier in last couple of years (especially 300W and higher). So check the power supply noise level before buying. Some people do modifications for power supply get noise level down, but I wouldn't touch power supply. Too risky.

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.k

Thank you all for your replies , I decided to get Tualatin 1.3 Ghz , but now I need a motherboard to go with it .

What is the best for this processor?

I need the motherboard to be easy to overclock , and want some expert here to tell me the EXACT procedures for overclocking the FSB to 133Mhz..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmm... if tualatin (celeron) is 13 x 100 FSB, then 13 x 133 = 1729 which is pretty high. And I think that you can't easily reach that. P3 and celeron are on the limit already. For 1.7 ghz you need quite exterme cooling. For easier overclockin best cpu is P4. I know many people have overclocked p4 1.6ghz to 2.4ghz by setting higher voltage (0.1-0.2v) and increasing FSB.

So I would change to P4 (or AMD). And use motherboard that is easily modified for above normal high voltages (motherboards have normally pretty low limits for voltages). Atleast Abit THII-Raid can be voltage modificated to use 1.85v, which should be enough for 1.6ghz to 2.4ghz overclocking.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Quote:
I would suggest 11x133 rather than 13x133 , is it possible? or am I just a stupid ?
Intel does not allow manipulation of the multiplier. So its always going to be 13 x n - n being the FSB.

Ian

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have a question -

I have an older Asus P3B-F mobo, and Im currently using an Iwill Slocket II adapter with a FCPGA coppermine P3 (700MHz overclocked to 933). Will this slocket adapter work with the new Tualatin processors? Wouldn't it just need to give a specific voltage?

I'm thinking about getting the 1.1Ghz Tualatin (11x100) and running it at 1463MHz (11x133), which sounds fairly attainable....For $66, this would be a fairly substantial upgrade for me right now (56% raw speed increase), since I dont have enouth $$$ for a full-blown upgrade..

Thanks,

Ryan Dinan

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by minaelromany
want some expert here to tell me the EXACT procedures for overclocking the FSB to 133Mhz..
There are none. It can't be done, the multiplier is too high. Suggest you return the cpu and go with a P4 1.6a cpu, the current oc king. Mate it with a new i845e / ICH4 motherboard, to be released in a few days. You will be able to hit a 133 MHZ FSB no problem.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I am using the PowerLeap adaptor in my Slot 1 Asus P2B-LS motherboard. I am overclocking and running the FSB at 112 for my 1.3Ghz Tualatin. That works out to 1.455Ghz. It seems to run reliably at that speed. My motherboard doesn't allow me to push it any further. I'm delighted with the performance.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Chris, have you tested to see how reliable your 3d games are at 1.455Ghz (112Mhz FBS)? I have gone through several CPU's with the Asus P2B rev 1.03 and I haven't ever been able to overclock with heavy AGP bandwidth; not even at 103Mhz FSB.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RyanDinan
I have a question -

I have an older Asus P3B-F mobo, and Im currently using an Iwill Slocket II adapter with a FCPGA coppermine P3 (700MHz overclocked to 933). Will this slocket adapter work with the new Tualatin processors? Wouldn't it just need to give a specific voltage?

I'm thinking about getting the 1.1Ghz Tualatin (11x100) and running it at 1463MHz (11x133), which sounds fairly attainable....For $66, this would be a fairly substantial upgrade for me right now (56% raw speed increase), since I dont have enouth $$$ for a full-blown upgrade..

Thanks,

Ryan Dinan
https://www.quickbase.com/db/6v74ue7...&rl=dvpg&rx=fa says it is compatible. Powerleap adapter takes care of voltages.

Not sure about that overclocking, because overclocking depends on cpu, motherboard and memory. One cpu can be overclocked to 1.4ghz and another only to 1.2ghz.. So it is about luck.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks Pallo,

I realize the o/cing potential is cpu dependant - I havent read/seen a whole lot about the flexibility of these new Tualatin's though. I hand-picked my PIII 700 to overclock it to 933, and it did it without complaining :)

I was just hoping I wouldn't have to buy the powerleap slocket adapter...But that looks unavoidable now.

It seems however, that Powerleap only sells the adapter with a cpu....Does anyone know where to get this adapter by itself? Their package deals are pretty pricey...

Thanks,

Ryan Dinan

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
Chris, have you tested to see how reliable your 3d games are at 1.455Ghz (112Mhz FBS)? I have gone through several CPU's with the Asus P2B rev 1.03 and I haven't ever been able to overclock with heavy AGP bandwidth; not even at 103Mhz FSB.
No, I haven't. I don't typically use this machine for gaming. I'll see if I can run a few tests and report back. I did run Prime95 all day long with no problems. Prime95 stresses the floating point functions heavily.

Chris

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.