Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TRAINS, PLANES, AND AUTOMOBILES

That?s what my trip was like. I wanted to see the plv-70 on the high power and gray screens. I had made arrangements with Grodon Groof, and J Mike Ferrara to pay them a visit. So I flew up from Atlanta into Harrisburg, PA. Rented a car and drove to Lancaster. When I arrived at Gordon?s house, Sweet Nancy informed me that they had just lost electricity. So I figured I wasn?t going to get a demo. No generators in sight due to the hurricane. Gordon thought a least I would want to see how to get rid of a dust blob, so he pulled his projector down and showed me how to clean it. I was getting ready to leave when Gordon remembered that he had a battery and an inverter that might have enough power for the projector and DVD player. Sure enough, it worked. Gordon showed off a wonderful picture. Very impressive. Vivid colors. Well you all have read the description from Grodon, Jhouse, Brandon b, and Jimmy R. But I had to see the Hi Power with my own eye's. Next stop is Washington DC. I caught a flight to Dullas and the next day took the metro to J. Mikes house. The power was just restored the day before. J. Mike?s setup was equally impressive. A great picture. The HD stuff was amazing. Mike uses the HC Da-mat. Mike did show me the color uniformity problem he is having. I would agree with him, he is not just being too picky. But it sounds like he is close to resolving it one way or the other. He also pointed out the fixed pattern noise. I am not sure what to think about that.

Final thoughts. For my theater, I will probably choose the High Power. I don?t have total light control. And I don?t always want to totally darken the room. Although the HC Da-mat did look good with some ambient light in the room. I was concerned about the off axis viewing, both latterly and vertically, with a ceiling mounted projector and the High Power. I saw very little drop off at Gordon?s. The Hi Power costing $100s less then a tab tensioned screen. My thanks again to J.Mike and Grodon for their hospitality, and enthusiasm for this hobby. Rich

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Jimmy, Rich can verify that I smiled a lot :D

Rich, there are a couple of service menu adjustments that can lessen the effect of FPN. After you left, I made a few more adjustments, and was able to lessen the vertical 'lines.' Nevertheless, FPN adds a digital quality to the picture, and makes itself known with bright scenes and camera pans. Frankly, the passion around screendoor for this projector is IMHO a non-issue. There are other concerns, well documented here, that folks need to be aware of.

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by weaselorlando
TRAINS, PLANES, AND AUTOMOBILES

That?s what my trip was like. I wanted to see the plv-70 on the high power and gray screens. I had made arrangements with Grodon Groof,
Umm, it's "Groff."

·
Registered
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pepar
Umm, it's "Groff."
Hahaha!! LOL. A rose by any other name.......

Shoulda left the "r" out too, Rich! :D

Was great meeting you too! It was a GREAT relief to us to be able to get a picture up. Probably the first time anyone ran a PLV-70 on 12 VDC :)

J.Mike - I too had the vertical line FPN. Bugged the HECK out of me!! I even started a big thread about "screendoor", not knowing any better. Bought new component cables to see if that would fix it. Didn't. Even took my PJ to a dealer to see if I should upgrade right away to an Infocus 7200. That's how bummed I was about it. That's where I saw it on a Grayhawk and the picture from my PJ was STUNNING! Blew away the 7200. (IMO and the 5 other people who saw it there) A night and day difference from what I saw in my own HT. The dealer wanted to sell me the high-end DVD player they were using and a Grayhawk screen. I already had a Bravo D1 on order and had been reading posts about other PLV-70 owners endorsing the High Power, so I put other upgrade options on hold until those came through.

The FPN totally went away with those two system changes - High Power screen and DVI input to the PJ. I did them both at once, so was not sure which helped it the most. I blieve both had a part in it. I'm wondering if the component input is a problem? What input do you use, Mike? If it's not that, then if you get a chance to try the HighPower or a Grayhawk/Firehawk screen, it might resolve the FPN issue at least.

Gordon Goof

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Gordon,

I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm, but my experience is different.

I orginally had the Da-Lite CinemaVision, which is a coated gray screen with a "hot" 1.3 gain. I exchanged it for the Da-Mat HC, which is a non-coated gray screen with a 0.8 gain. With the HC, I saw less screendoor and FPN. I find it interesting that you see less with a coated screen, but to each his own.

From an technical standpoint, I don't see how using the DVI input would lessen FPN. FPN is due to the way the panels are refreshed during the scanning process. Maybe someone can explain your experience. Rick seemed to be particularly sensitive to FPN, espcially with HD material. I guess I've gotten use to it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have no idea why it worked or if my results can be duplicated. I try to keep the analytical side suppressed in favor of the experiential. I think JHouse had the best explanation: "It's Magic!" :)

I'm curious - Rick, how did FPN compare between the two systems you saw?

Gordon

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gordon, I didn't notice the FPN at your house. I didn't know what FPN looked like untill i asked Mike. Maybe i shouldn't have asked. I did spend a little more time with Mike's projector. But we were not trying to run it off a battery. :cool:

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
As JM says, DVI did not lessen my FPN, which would seem to be significantly worse on mine than Gordon's. FPN is the single artifact that is still pretty distracting in my setup.

Going to the D1 did lessen the "obviousness" of screen door though, due to the removal of nearly all video noise.

BB

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
J. Mike's might be in motion out a window soon.
The new Sony HS-20 is looking better and better as a reliable replacement for my P.O.S. 20HD.....

·
Registered
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by angilasaurus
I will probably be setting up a shootout involving the 20HD, the 7200, and a JVC DILA very soon here in Colorado.

JOHN
Now THAT is one that I would LOVE to see and NEED to hear about!! Hope y'all post your impressions!! FanTasTic!

Gordon

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pilder1000
I just wished I lived near someone where I can see the PLV70 in motion.
All you've gotta do is make the PILGRIMAGE, just the same way that Rich did from Georgia to Pennsylvania! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.