AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Your space is looking great! Glad you went convex :) Also the rope lighting looks cool.

BTW I noticed 2 Kettlebells in a pic in post 3. I have not seen many of those in the US.

-Cam

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Spent some money today.

I ordered 3 Crown 402D amps (rack-mountable pro stereo amps, from roaddogonline.com) and a yamaha V661 (to run as a pre-pro). The amps have a rebate for a few more days, making them cheap. They have fan noise concerns, but my rack is outside the room, so there didn't seem to be a downside. The V661 has a good (not perfect) feature set for running as a processor.

Now if the carpenters would finish their work on the rack I'd be good to go. Should be by the end of next week.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very good choice on the Crowns. I've got 4 of them. Make sure you do not crank all the way up. In my excitement I pushed them all the way and listened to music for 3 hours. I ended up loosing part of my hearing for 2 weeks
but

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
A rite of passage - sand time.

I hit HD and picked up 20 bags of play stand, when everyone around is building sandboxes for their kids. I got a lot of comments that it would be a big sandbox. I suppose so.

After hauling them down the bulkhead, in the words of Anakin Skywalker "I hate sand".

We went with the plastic to line the cavities. Not essential, but seems better. There is tar paper on the floor. My wonderful wife is prepping the first section:

Uno:

Tres (of cinco):

finito:

Sand in the stage, not just for subwoofers:

We wound up using 19 of the 20 bags I bought - not bad for a top of the head estimate. The last bag may get used in speaker stands. In other good news, we got confirmation that my brother-in-law is en route returning from Afghanistan after a 16 month stint. Happy memorial day all.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Happy Memorial Day indeed!

20 bags is child's play - apparently literally as well as figuratively.
But I feel your pain, I just spent yesterday moving 20 cubic yards of mulch around the yard. I couldn't move a muscle last night.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished product Dave. Just don't hook up everything before it is done. I am using my theater more than working on it now!

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180c /forum/post/0

Can't wait to see the finished product Dave. Just don't hook up everything before it is done. I am using my theater more than working on it now!

Yeah, me too.

Not much to report. My carpenter has been MIA (actually had some family thing come up I recently learned), and we are waiting for him to finish up and get out before we can paint the playroom and push things forward. That and life is busy - - I am on jury duty now, and trying to plan a summer trip. Some equipment is pouring in (receiver and amps - a yamaha v661 + 3 crown 402D's - - pretty much down to the remote), that's about it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Avoid the Harmony 1000 if you are ever considering trying Zwave. By the way the Leviton Zwave remote is amazing! I have 25 separate lights on 10 separate circuits setting up to the preset levels with a single button push of the Vizia 4 scene controller at the bottom of my stairs. I then have scenes set for play movie, play movie with sconce lighting, and pause movie set up as well from the remote. Best thing is that no matter what scene I am using at the time. A single button push on the wall controller turns off all the lighting in the basement on the way up the stairs. I love complex technology that makes life brainless when you use it!

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Okay a milestone. The pros are gone, all our contractors have finished the skilled portion of the build. From here on in, it will be just me and my wife. Send in the clowns! Well, except for the carpet.

The last few weeks have been the process of getting people in to wrap up. The other day the carpenters made the last few cuts on the columns, hung the rack (my hinges were missing, so I will have some things to clean up), hung blue board in the utility room, and a bunch of miscellaneous things. Today the electricians came in, and attached the lights inside the columns and did their wrap up.

The playroom comes before the theater in the general scheme, and a few family matters have come up to ensure that this next phase will be slow moving, but the dream will still be to finish up by my daughter's 2nd birthday in October. Okay, enough talk, here are the pics.

Here is a column that has been cut for both a speaker and the "sconce". The plan is that we will add frosted glass to the light openings, and wrap the column with expocloth holding the speaker. Need to stuff the some of the columns with insulation, figure out access for changing light bulbs or speakers, and add a separator between the light and the rest of the column to prevent light spill, etc.

Here is the side wall. The column closer to the screen doesn't hold a speaker, so just an opening for the light:

Here is the back wall with a floor lamp in the pic. Sorry about that. In the rear corner is a cabinet that houses the sump pit. It is 36" high, and I am re-thinking that height, may scale it down, its kind of imposing. Maybe one day we'll throw a popcorn maker on there.

Here is a shot of the front wall:

Just outside the room now, here is the rack. No hinges, so the door is held in place by conventional means. The trim was placed to set the door within the trim, but we might change that so that the door closes over. Also the trim is too wide.

Here is the rack in the utility room. Not much to see here right now.

Have a good weekend all,

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim /forum/post/0

What's that thing on the floor with the rack mounting brackets (in the last picture)?

Lookin good,

Tim

NEC ISS 6010/6020 high-bandwidth modular video switcher, distribution amplifier, and (NTSC) transcoder.

It'll switch VGA, RGBHV, and transcode and switch NTSC Composite and S-VIDEO (and HDMI and component with the right goodies
) then feed up to four displays via RGBHV. Terribly common accessory for those of us with CRT projectors.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Follow-up... it'll probably also transcode PAL, not that standard definition is terribly useful at our screen sizes.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
JTN has it, it is a NEC switcher, it has a moome card in it, so I will be able to run HDMI to the pre-hdmi crt projector. I wanted to bring a rack mounted component to make sure the rails were put at the right distance. There are a couple of blanks installeded at the top and bottom, but there is a significant amount of play in the mounting holes.

The carpenter didn't screw and glue the bracket the rails are in, because I wasn't able to be there, and he didn't want to make it impossible for me to adjust. Once I make the rack more structural, the switcher, the amps, and whatever else I have accumulated will go in.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Anyone have any tips on what tools are in the need vs want catagory for terminating wall plates with cable tv, phone, and ethernet. My electrician ran the wires, but said they aren't in the business of terminating them. So looks like it will be me.

I have been reading this website, but I suspect my needs are a bit more basic.

http://www.swhowto.com/ToolsCh1.htm

I was at a home depot by my parents place that is closing (Portsmouth NH 20%-40% off, no sales tax) and picked a few of the leviton quickport termination (ethernet, cable, phone?) but didn't get wall plates since I didn't remember what I will need. The tools were already cleaned out, except for a $6 coax stripper that I grabbed. We did well on the bathroom hardware towel bars and that kind of stuff. Not bad for a time killing stop.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Hi Dave,

If your using the quickport phone and ethernet connectors from leviton they should include a mini punchdown tool that will do the trick once you get used to it. Lowes has a decent compression tool for about $12.00 that can handle you coax connections. If you need to make ethernet and phone runs with the snap in plugs at the ends they also have a tool that was about $20.00 which included the phone and ethernet plugs. In fact if you want we could hook up and you can borrow these from me, you'll just have to get the connectors.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I can front you some tools also... You'll quickly learn to hate the plastic 110 punchdown that comes with the quickport
I've got a couple nice 110 punchdown tools, and a few nice RJ crimp kits (if you want to make phone or ethernet cable to length.)

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Sounds like for ethernet/phone I will just need a punchdown tool if I use the quickport stuff. Either the crap one that came with it, or a better one. For the coax it sounds like I need a crimper. I am just making wallplates, I have cables of various lengths and types already.

I will take an inventory of how many I have to do tonight and figure out when I'll get to it. The playroom for my daughter comes first, and I just did my 37 item to-do list, 22 of them come before H.T. I don't want to borrow any tools and sit on them. If its cheap enough I'll probably just pick up the basics for the next time.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
That's fine,

Like I said I know you can get a compression tool for coax cables from Lowe's for about $12.00 bucks, they have an entire kit with the connectors for a little more. I know online though you can get the connectors for less. I highly recommend the compression type vs. the crimp type, for me they are easier, more secure(watertight), and cleaner looking.

201 - 220 of 523 Posts