AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I like how they did you HVAC runs that must prevent allot of loss in the feeds. Mike Homes would be proud of the person that did the install

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, the supplies got ripped down in the Relo (pics soon, really), so that is no more. We're still not 100% back running since the beams got in the way, and I was going to lose too much headroom at the entrance - as in hit your head at the door.

When my guys ripped down the supplies they found out that no adhesive was used in joining the ducts together, except where they would be visible to the inspector. Apparantly there were 5" gaps at the joins after 2.5 years. No corner to small to cut.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here are some pics of the relo so far. We had to rethink things on the fly, but everything is working out. Here are some action shots:

Preparations:

Gone!

Crime scene

Episode IV - A New Home

Carnage!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
dam that sucks That was one of the things I had my foot up the HVAC's arse about taping every joint. You loose I believe 15% on average HVAC, I purchased a really high output unit. I didn't want poor install screwing the gain up.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Don - the funny thing is our house is rated as a "energy star house" - - on the merit of the insulation and windows, I guess. Not so much on the quality of the install.

In other news, the plumber is in to work on moving the H/W heater today. The HVAC guys were supposed to leave a pan to put the H/W heater in. Didn't happen. The plumber is installing a device that will shut off the water to the H/W heater if the tank bursts. The pan was to contain the mess some. Since it was forgotten, I guess we'd have the mess to deal with if it happens. The sensor will still work and limit the problem, so its worth doing. I am not thrilled that there wasn't follow through. I can't hammer the HVAC guy too bad since I made him rework his design on the fly when we figured out the headroom issue, but kind of lame.

Carpenter comes to sign the contract today. Permits getting pulled. Framing is probably 10 days out.

·
Registered
589 Posts
DC,

Our installs are very similar, but I can not isolate my room like you can due to combustion air issues. You can see my drawing on my other posts and I will be starting a thread like yours soon. We are at almost the exact same point as well as I just finished the outside entrance install, bathroom rough in and H/W&Gas line moves. I am going to start framing next week. My bids came in at- High $39K, Low 27K and most between 27K-30K. I did not have enough money in my entire budget because of having to pay 6.7K for an outstide entrance and the desire to put 8K worth of cherry cabinets with grannite in. What I did was find a local handyman that does basements and other work for realtors as a very fair price. He came highly recomended from friends. He bid 10K, but I am pretty sure that was based on more common construction methods, but he did not flinch when I told him DD w/GG. I have already added other things and he keeps just adding very reasonable amounts like $500 here and $200 there. I figure that even if it ends up being double his original bid, he will do everything I need and it will be done the way I want and still be only about 20K. I took over the engineering (since I am a mechanical engineer) and also will buy all of the specialty materials (acousical panels, gg, etc).

I am interested in how much you paid for all that HVAC work as I might want some done. Your original house looks better constructed than mine in MD as I have no duct wrap or ceiling insulation yet either.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'll drop you a PM Cherokee. Not sure I want to put all of my numbers up on a public forum. My ranges are pretty similar. Trying to get the room as right as I can. The equipment will have to be just adequete.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
H/W Heater moved today. Some pics:

Gone!

Pipes plugged up

Relocated next to the furnace

The shut off regulator (if the tank bursts)

The sensor for the shut off device

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I know I should run a search - but thought I'd ask here.

Lighting control - Grafic eye vs Insteon. I am planning light rope in the soffit, plus sconces, and possibly a few recessed cans (need to get lighting figured out). So three devices to control, I'd want to dim any and all of them.

Seems like the graphic eye controllers run around ~$500-ish. Insteon is cheaper, but I can't quite figure out which devices I'd need to buy to control the devices. The eventual remote will be some kind of harmony product. I am hoping they make one for the PS3 for when I am ready.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Hey Pilgrim,

Been checking out your thread good stuff so far. Glad to see a fellow New Englander, Southern Mass to boot. I'm in West Bridgwater, and by your screen name I can kind'a guess where your at.

Question about that shut off regulator. Did you have it before you moved the H/W tank or did you have it added now? Did you install yourself or by a pro? and How much materials and labor if any?

My Tank is right next to my future HT and something like that would be nice to prevent future problems. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The DC is because I used to live in Washington DC. I am now a couple of miles away from the dog track near you.

The shutoff regulator was an add on. We paid the plumber's cost for the part which was $140. The whole tank was supposed to be in a tin pan that would have held some of the mess if it burst. The guys doing the HVAC move were supposed to supply the pan, but there was a snafu. They think they can retro-fit it in by lifting the h/w heater (with 80 gallons of water in it). I am pretty skeptical on that one. I'll live either way.

The relo costs were $1250 by a licensed plumber and his apprentice. The two of them were at my house for about 7 hours and had to do a fair bit of re-working the plumbing lines. I moved it from one end of my house to the other. Not cheap, but makes the space more useable.

Here is a quick diagram of where the furnace and H/W heater were moved from:

·
Registered
736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/0

I know I should run a search - but thought I'd ask here.

Lighting control - Grafic eye vs Insteon. I am planning light rope in the soffit, plus sconces, and possibly a few recessed cans (need to get lighting figured out). So three devices to control, I'd want to dim any and all of them.

Seems like the graphic eye controllers run around ~$500-ish. Insteon is cheaper, but I can't quite figure out which devices I'd need to buy to control the devices. The eventual remote will be some kind of harmony product. I am hoping they make one for the PS3 for when I am ready.

Dave,

I looked at both the Insteon stuff and the GE. I ended up with the Lutron Spacer system with 3 zones and a master controller for about $260. I think it will do what I need it to do - create up to 4 lighting scenes from the 3 zones using IR.

6 - 5" cans

3 - 3" cans

2 - 4" cans

I got my stuff from electricsuppliesonline.com

I haven't installed it yet but the build quality seems good.

Judson

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Good point - Judson, I'll try to take a look at that also. Seems like a more appealing price point. All I want is dimming 2-3 kinds of lights with a remote control.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Do you want independent control of the zones or just dimm all of them at once?

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I guess independant control is preferable. But if Dim all makes it go from couple - several hundred to fifty bucks, I might consider that, especially if upgradable (replaceable) later. The budget is a bit haywire.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Don is right. The spacer system can only do zones. If you want independent control of each zone it will be better to look at something else.

I only care about doing the scenes so it was a good fit.

Not sure you can do it for $50 as the master controller is around $100 by itself.

Judson

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The $50 thought was a moment of weakness. Spend, spend spend is the nature of things for these projects. Old tightwad habits kick in. Meanwhile I try to rationalize upping the receiver budget.

Interesting that the spacer system's limitations. I guess this is why I asked.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Here are some updates. HVAC is getting close. Zoning system was installed, and we ran with two zones last night. Basement zone won't be activated until the basement is done. They have some cleaning up to do.

Here are the new runs.

There are several dampners on these runs

Close up of two dampners

The control panel

The caffeine that powered the install

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Also, here are the pics of the sump pump installed. We may need to frame around this or make the pipe a decorative column some how. Plumber put it in straight up/down instead of hugging the wall. Also might need to move the charger and battery to a more compact location.

Get pumped

The lay of the land

21 - 40 of 523 Posts