AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The house I will be leaving is my family home built by my grandfather originally so no way I am selling it. As for husband's company, they are closing the local facility and moving it to Northridge. Of course all my family including my baby grandaughter are here in MA.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Well we listed yesterday. Here is the link for the arm-chair real estate brokers (& curious).

http://www.realtor.com/realestate/ra...67-1096256906/

A friendly forum member is stopping by in a little bit to help tame the CRT PJ. I should be able to post finished pics later this weekend. We are in single digits now:

1. Clean up the wiring - - in room, @ rack

2. converge PJ / calibrate audio

3. clean up the sconce covers a bit (some of the screws don't strike the column, just air, so need to jury-rig something)

4. repaint the top of the sump cover (surface got dinged up during construction)

5. Program Harmony 890 for realtors (and us)

6. Watch some movies - while we can

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Well we are at about 94% I'd say. I am over due for room pics:

Screenwall from the PJ point of view:

Stages are irrestistable:

Looking back from the screen at the rest of the room.

Sidewall, near screen:

Closeup of the column, w/speaker in it. We made fabric frames and velcro's them in place. The sconce covers took a bit out of the light output, but its acceptable:

Last but not least, JTFoley stopped by and helped me with setup, making that process go MUCH faster. Great guy, appreciated the help:

I was watching a few pixar shorts with my daughter, she loved the "For The Birds" one. But when she was elsewhere I went with a little jack-jack:

Realtor's open house is next sunday. Hopefully by then we can finally do a premiere night for us. My wife and I are very pleased with the end result, and the journey - just a bit bittersweet that life throws curves.

Thanks to all in the forum who helped us figure this out.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/12952202

Hi Dave,

Can I ask a favor? Can you please measure the distance of the projector side facing the concrete floor? Not the side with the unistruts.

Thanks.

Neil

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty /forum/post/13209625

Hi Dave,

Can I ask a favor? Can you please measure the distance of the projector side facing the concrete floor? Not the side with the unistruts.

Thanks.

Neil

If you are talking about head-strike clearance... I'm 6'2" tall and managed to hit my head once. I'd say Daves' install height is pretty much appropriate for his screen height, and the lid (facing the floor in a ceiling mount situation) is about 6' off the floor.

I've got a 9PG Xtra and its' just over head high (about 6'3" off the floor) in my HT, and the screen is of course proportionally higher.

Dave... Good choice of screenshot fodder! Make sure you watch Jak Jak Attack! in the extra material!

I'm glad we could get you dialed in before any showings.

NOW REMEMBER! Stock to Disney/pixar for demo material... No baseball, football, or golf in HD during showings!

When prospective buyers walk in to the HT the guy will see Fenway Park in the postseason in 80" of HD glory and go "YES!" and the wife will go "OH HELL NO!"

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/13210706

Do you want the dimensions of the PJ itself? Or its height from the (dricore) floor?

The dimensions of the PJ generally are here, although I am happy to verify any of them.

http://www.curtpalme.com/PJSpecs_NEC.shtm

Yeah, just the height from the dricore floor. I would like to compare mine because I think mine looks low.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty /forum/post/13211942

Yeah, just the height from the dricore floor. I would like to compare mine because I think mine looks low.

Not that I think my install is reference - but the lowest point to the floor is 67 inches.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
Had our first open house today. We had 11 sets of people in, of which 3 were curious neighbors. Realtor said this was the most traffic at an open house in a long time. The theater was a hit, we'll see if anything comes of it.

Still working out the kinks on the Harmony 890. Its a little buggy I think. I set up an activity for HD-DVD, and it shows in the software, but the activity is MIA on the remote. Trying to figure out how to integrate the lighting controls so that the lights come up at stop or pause, dim on play, etc. The functionality is there. Its just unrefined.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
Went house hunting in PA this weekend. A lot of the houses we looked at had nice high ceilings, at least 9 feet. The house we liked best had a partially finished basement, which is great for the playroom, but would leave me with a petite and a little boxy HT eyeball it at around 14x15x9 once framed and finished. Which though small, might be workable for a family screening room. I just dropped the dimensions into Terry's calculator ( http://www.tmlaboratories.com/ ), and its not that far off, to my surprise.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Hey Dave,

Missed your post last week about your open house. That is a good amount of traffic hope it works out well for you. If your still having trouble setting up the Harmony, send me a pm or give me a call. I have mine set up this way and I can walk you through on how to do. It definately adds to affect when hitting play and the lights dim to off.

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/13340044

Went house hunting in PA this weekend. A lot of the houses we looked at had nice high ceilings, at least 9 feet. The house we liked best had a partially finished basement, which is great for the playroom, but would leave me with a petite and a little boxy HT eyeball it at around 14x15x9 once framed and finished. Which though small, might be workable for a family screening room. I just dropped the dimensions into Terry's calculator ( http://www.tmlaboratories.com/ ), and its not that far off, to my surprise.

Good luck selling your house! May I asked where in PA you are looking? I live in the Lehigh Valley area. (45 min - 1 hour North of Philly) I'd gladly help you if you have any questions on the area.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 /forum/post/13340974

Hey Dave,

Missed your post last week about your open house. That is a good amount of traffic hope it works out well for you. If your still having trouble setting up the Harmony, send me a pm or give me a call. I have mine set up this way and I can walk you through on how to do. It definately adds to affect when hitting play and the lights dim to off.

We have a possible buyer, but I am not counting any chickens. I may drop you a line on the remote. I saw a comment along the lines that you have to set up a separate activity for lighting control. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk /forum/post/13341480

Good luck selling your house! May I asked where in PA you are looking? I live in the Lehigh Valley area. (45 min - 1 hour North of Philly) I'd gladly help you if you have any questions on the area.

It is in the Carlisle / Harrisburg area. The one we were most interested went under agreement on us. It was new construction, so there is another of the same model planned, with a later delivery date (and who knows about the lot). We shall see.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Not a seperate activity, that would take you out of the activity your suppossed to be in. So long as you have it listed as a device you will be able to include it in your activity.

I only have the old software link at work so it might not work exactly, on how you get there but quickly looking this is how it's done.

For example on Watch DVD activity.

Click Customize, then Change behavior of buttons

This brings up your button, device, command page. At the bottom of this screen click add sequence. Then you create the sequence that you want i.e. "Play Lights Off"

1st Device= DVD, 1st Command= Play. 2nd Device = Light Controller, 2nd command = all lights off.

You do this until you've created all the sequences you want such as

Pause Preset, Close tray Dim, Stop Preset, Play Lights off. Then you click done.

This will bring you back to the buttons page. You then select "sequence" as a device and the correct "command" for that button. It should look like :

Button | Device | Command

Play | Sequence | Play Lghts off

FYI What I do currently in my living room with a Maestro IR switch when entering the activity you can have the harmony send a certain command, I send all lights on as part of the start commands. Then when I put in a dvd and close the tray with the remote it dims the lights half way for the previews then when I press play it shuts them off completely. Again if you have trouble still don't worry about giving me a call.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
Had a this is driving me crazy moment. Was running the auto-setup on the yamaha receiver, and my side surrounds were giving me a wonky error. Basically the output once bouncing from right to left on each pink noise sequence (one or the other) without rhyme or reason. Wiring all checked out, was totally baffled - until a closer examination of the amp showed that the crown amp was toggled to bridge the output. Jeez louise.

Also, there was something wonky with the 12v trigger on the yamaha, so I added a wall-wart charger to the back of the courtesy outlets on the receiver, set this to 12v, and added a 3.5mm adapter to the end, and walla, a kludged 12v trigger. Got the idea from searching the amps forum. The 12v "trigger" goes to a panamax power strip, which has several switched outlets that the amps are plugged into. Its really quite cool.

Had some traffic in the house. There seems to be several interested parties, but no one has put pen to paper. One interesting tidbit from an open house yesterday, one of my neighbors, who is selling his own home (FSBO), put a sign accross the street from my house pointing to his place, that would really only be seen from INSIDE my house (directly in front of my bay window, perpendicular to the road, not at an intersection). We live in an association, where exterior signs are not permitted. He put a few others up in the hood, which I didn't care about, but I was really steamed about that one. I took care of it of course. The association people will get on him for the other ones, but what a piece of work. Tough market up here.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
Well, just about one month after going on the market, we are virtually signed up with an offer. I say virtually, because the relo company has to sign some of the paperwork on Monday morning. The buyer has signed everything on his side. Inspection Tuesday, closing at the end of May. We close on the PA house at the end of April. So I have one month to enjoy the theater - then I go into version 2.0 planning mode.

My wife and I finally saw Transformers on Friday night. Last night I watched 300 (not her kind of flick, and she was wiped out from the day). I have about 10 movies to watch from all the sales at christmas, and rentals.

My comment on selling a house w/a HT - - it gave us significant traffic, and I went under agreement in 30 days, in my association the average wait is 180+ days. But I had very little pricing power. I actually had two people make offers, but near one person did not appear to have the ability to close (sale of own home contingency). A week after we listed a very comparable unit came in with an awful price, and that price haunted us in both offers. If we sold to the company, it would haunt us again.

Since there are two other identical floorplans on the market (absent the basement), my differentiators - the finished basement, the HT, and the 3/4 bath in the basement were all significant factors.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Great! Looks like the time we spent setting up the PG was well spent.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnfoley /forum/post/13453158

Great! Looks like the time we spent setting up the PG was well spent.

Absolutely, definitely helped with the sale. If nothing else, my daughter loved Cinderella today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog /forum/post/13453637

Dave,

Good deal on the contract, I'm sure that's a big load off your mind. Just think about how much you've learned and what you can apply to the next theater! Are you planning on leaving all the equipment? Was it sold outside the house contract or part of it?

Bud

Definitely is a load off. The guy initially did not include the EQ in the offer - I don't think he had a guess what it might cost. Of course I put all the money in the room, and deal hawked the equipment. So when he asked for a separate quote for the equipment, I priced it at my cost and he took it (under a separate bill of sale). I wasn't going to bother to mark it up, since to be honest, between upgrade ideas and some limitations for the planned room at the new house (external equipment rack might be a challenge), I was happy either way if I got my cost out.

At least I get to keep the tools (and know-how)

441 - 460 of 523 Posts