AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,069 Posts
I certainly don't hate where I am since it is HOME but I do hate where we are going. LA is probably the last place on earth or at least in the U.S. that I would CHOOSE to live.


But them is the breaks! Move complicated by the fact I am not taking everything with me and some of what I want is in one house and some in another. So I have to move things and somehow get them together apart from what is not being moved.


Still don't know if I want to try to do some sort of erzats theater in new rented home or not. Then there is how much of my equipment to take and how much stays in the theater here, gathering dust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall /forum/post/14021759


Hey Dave, How would you rate the whole Relo thing overall? We fly out to LA tomorrow for our first look around Northridge. Can't say I am looking forward to the whole thing. Never moved with movers before either.

McCall


I've relocated with three separate companies over the last 20 years. The first two moves were the best, but I had the least amount of stuff. The last move was wonderful as well. All used professional movers and packers. The last move included temporary housing, food money, and packing services.


When we moved across town 3 years ago, we did it on our own. Now *THAT'S* the hardest way to go. I'm not sure that I would do that one again...


Moving at this point would certaintly be really hard. I don't envy people like Dave or you. After all of that work getting the theater built and tuned, it would be really hard to leave it. I guess there's the part of looking forward to making significant changes in the next iteration, but it would still be quite overwhelming.


Good luck with the househunting trip and the move!


CJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,939 Posts
Dave,


Sorry to hear about your ebay troubles. What kind of remote were your getting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum /forum/post/14028051


I've relocated with three separate companies over the last 20 years. The first two moves were the best, but I had the least amount of stuff. The last move was wonderful as well. All used professional movers and packers. The last move included temporary housing, food money, and packing services.


When we moved across town 3 years ago, we did it on our own. Now *THAT'S* the hardest way to go. I'm not sure that I would do that one again...


Moving at this point would certaintly be really hard. I don't envy people like Dave or you. After all of that work getting the theater built and tuned, it would be really hard to leave it. I guess there's the part of looking forward to making significant changes in the next iteration, but it would still be quite overwhelming.


Good luck with the househunting trip and the move!


CJ


heheheh, don't say that to EBR, I think he loves the moves and the new improved HT each time, hehehe...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 /forum/post/14028411


Dave,


Sorry to hear about your ebay troubles. What kind of remote were your getting?

It was a Harmony One. The new fangled repackage of the 880. I have the 880, and got used to its quirks, but I broke the USB port, and am swapping out equipment in the new house (new DVR most notably), and need a new one. We have another baby coming to destroy my stuff, I should just get the 550 model for $60 instead. The seller just disapearred, which actually makes me wonder if they got sick rather than a cut and run. We'll see.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 /forum/post/14028545


heheheh, don't say that to EBR, I think he loves the moves and the new improved HT each time, hehehe...

I definitely have a few improvements in mind. Stuck with a smaller room since the basement was partially finished, and I won't want to redo the whole thing. I have been watching the star ceilings going up with a great deal of interest.


I agreed to a one year moratorium, even though it is killing me watching the celtics in the finals on a 30" screen. I was always a much bigger celtics fan than any other team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/13775436


Believe it or not, my realtor. Or the one assigned to me by the relo company.

Come on Dave...don't you understand protocol? That's the victory dinner!


I'm glad you got it worked out. I HATE moving...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Dave:


I just wanted to drop you a note and let you know that the Green Glue and the clips that you sent along were put into use a few weeks ago. I got the ceiling up and did the green glue thing too. The space is certainly coming along nicely, but I'm stuck in the quagmire of drywall mudding and taping.


Man, I should have hired that stuff out...


Anyhow, thanks again, and I can't wait to see what Pilgrim's Pit 2.0 is like!


CJ
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum /forum/post/14031814


Anyhow, thanks again, and I can't wait to see what Pilgrim's Pit 2.0 is like!


CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg /forum/post/14149465


So starting a new build soon.

Thanks CJ & Don. Pilgrim's Electric Boogaloo (like the sump pit in the 1st theater, the electric panel is in the space for version 2.0) is under an agreed family moratorium of about a year or so. We have been trying to settle in to the new house, and we are expecting a new baby in October. Just found out it will be a boy, so we will be lucky enough to have one of each. We were quitting at 2 either way, but its a nice surprise.


That said, I watched my first movie since the move on the 30" crt on Saturday, its definitely not the same. Need to crank up the sketchup and start working on design issues soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,296 Posts
Ahh yes another child, my son will be one year old on the 2nd of August.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
OT -


My son, Peter William was born today 9/29/08. 7 lbs, 13 oz. 20 inches. Mother and baby are doing great. 2010 is looking more likely than 2009 for my next theater. But good reasons to wait.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Congrats to you and your family!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Congratulations Dave!


CJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,939 Posts
Happy Birthday Peter...Congrats Dave, send my best to the Mrs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Congrats man! Glad everyone is doing well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,204 Posts
He'll be swinging a hammer before you know it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Congrats! What a wonderful addition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
huge congrats!
 
501 - 520 of 523 Posts
Top