AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180c /forum/post/0

Do you have a recommended Ebay store you deal with for LED lighting?

Not particularly just do a search and you should find one or two stores on ebay that supply great product for a low price.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180c /forum/post/0

I just saw a fantastic deal on 25' of LED rope light yesterday at Costco, but there was not enough information on the box to allow me to buy it. It was only $25. It did not say how much wattage, or if you could add to the length. I need around 40' to go around my room. The new Leviton Z-wave dimmers need a minimum of 40watts to work correctly.

It is .87 watts per foot and it is dimable. Yes, you can add additional ropes together.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Plumbing update -

They mostly finished up today, a few things left to connect, then inspections. My plumber is from Ireland, and has relatives over visiting, so he won't be back for a few days. Electrician isn't out till next week, so should be kind of quiet here. Gives me time to work on some other particulars.

Onto the plumbing pics:

Here is a pic of some of the dirt hauled out. A small fraction. My wife says the pile was huge. before they filled back in. Note the dirtline on the wall

Here is a pic of the ejector pump. You only see the tip of the iceberg. The actual was much bigger than a keg. At least 3.5 feet tall.

Here is the shower placed w/2walls. It is 36x36. It is made in a way to be directly attached to the studs:

These are some of the supply lines.

Here is a shot of a PVC (venting I think) splitting a baseplate. Hope its code:

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Made an impulse purchase. Bought a cheap Denon 486 receiver for $91 shipped (refurb, ecost). Seems like there is a lot going on with receivers trying to impliment HDMI, I have read countless threads on LPCM, LFE, etc. I have been envious of the people who have an old receiver that they could just run while they waited for new models and technical difficulties to sort out. I stumbled accross that receiver for next to nothing, 3 component inputs (ps3, DVR, maybe a hacked up-convert dvd player), binding posts - $91. What the heck. I wanted to have something on hand to test out the speaker wire before drywall went up. Now I can run this for six months or a year, and get some of the new tech without paying a launch price.

EDIT - my order got cancelled. Lame. Might run two channel audio from a boom box for a couple months. Very much on the fence.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
A few updates. Between long hours at work, a few things have come along.

Framing continued. They put the staggered stud wall in between the media room and the utility room.

They framed the soffit in around the HVAC stuff. This is phase one. A second pase for treatment and electrical will come.

Similar for sewage pipes:

We also found a sconce for the playroom:

Next post on the mount for the CRT PJ.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
On to preparing the mount.

My carpenter put some strapping up for ceiling. This is good, as it will help allow the strut channel to sit beneath the RSIC.

A little Sawzall (merry christmas) action, and the place is clear.

Here is the strut. It will carry the burden of the 150 lbs CRT PJ

Lag bolts and washers to hold the strut to the joist.

Sawzall has some work to do.

To the ceiling:

Viola! (one of three)

I never would have done it without expert help.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Looking good Dave.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Well, we passed the framing inspection today, completing the trifecta with electrical (last week), and plumbing (two weeks ago).

A lot has come along in the last few days. HVAC is in tomorrow to run the ductwork into the bathroom and the HT. I compromised a bit on the HVAC due to limitations in the MA code on flex. I think it will work in the end, as we are running wrapped and lined duct with requisit turns, and what not. I think the cost will be in the soffit, where I had hoped to preserve space for base trapping. As it stands, the entire back wall will be eligible for trapping, and portions of the side (I think). Should know in a few days.

Plaster is going up next week, so I need to make my wiring runs. I am debating between running the speaker wire bare, or in conduit. Same for the PJ. Also considering what runs I'll need for the connecting the EQ rack and other spaces (if any).

Can't find any flexible conduit thicker than 3/4" here, so might have to rush order some online if I go that way. Was debating 2" to the PJ, plus 2" to the front stage (3 channels + sub), then either direct runs to the surrounds or put those in 3/4" conduit. I might also run 2" conduit between the EQ Rack and a closet desk I will be adding in the playroom. There is already ethernet between the two, so might not be necessary. The other decision is whether to run cables/conduit to the places in the playroom where I have added cable drops from the EQ rack. I don't see running parallel display, or audio, but you never know. Drywall hangers are coming, and I am out of town for easter. Ack!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I couldn't find any 2" ENT around here either, and I have accounts at the local electrical supply houses.

They were able to get me 1" transferred in from another branch, cost was $88 for 100'.

2" was available, but they had to order it, 2 weeks leads time.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
My rack rails arrived yesterday. I went with a pair of 35 space rails, 2 vented spacers, some screws and a plexiglass door. Shelves and other items to come later. The plan is to put the spacers on to ensure that the studs are placed properly. Shelves and a drawer for spare remotes will have to come later.

The door came in a wooden crate! I got home later and couldn't find my hammer, but I am looking forward to checking it out. It was expensive, so I hope it is nice. I had convinced myself to skip the door, but my wife talked me into it. We have an 18 month old, and the rack will technically be in her playroom . . . . Probably a good call.

Picks next week, I'll be off for easter with the in-laws.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Easter bunny brought me a PS3!

Actually, it was also my birthday yesterday, but my wife did good. WIFI was weak in my den, so I didn't really test it out much last night, after the drive from the family gathering. Maybe tonight I'll trapse a huge ethernet cord throughout the house. Want to d/l a few games and trailers.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
A bit of an update - we are 95% done with framing and insulation (been taking a while).

Today the carpenter framed the equipment rack. I am going with middle atlantic rails, with 35 spaces. He rough framed it, and left room for a nicer grade of wood to be inserted.

Speaking of the rack, I mentioned earlier, the rails, two blanks and the door arrived last week. The door was impressive as it came in a crate. Here it is:

Here is a cross section shot:

Here are the keys(!)

Here is a close up of the plexi-glass - its tinted, pretty nice:

In other purchase news, some conduit arrived. I ordered 2" flexible conduit from smarthome. It comes with a nylon cord in it. I can tell you from experience, tape that cord down before you install it. Otherwise it will come rolling out in front of you and your horror while you ar congradulating yourself on a job well done. Fishing a new string is a PITA. I wound up ripping it out, and installing some more (I have lots left over). I ran 2" conduit to the PJ, and to the front stage. I ran speaker wire for the surrounds. Here is 50' of conduit:

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
In other developments, my HVAC guy built a baffle/transfer box for the return. We couldn't get the return to connect in, so we are venting into an adjacent room. To address sound control, it is a wrapped and lined box, with a partician in it. The return is set low, the air comes in, rises over the partitician in the lined space, drops, the exhausts low opposit from where it came in.

Some pics:

In the room (not screwed in yet):

In the utility room:

Close up of an entrance (you can see the lined interior/partician):

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/0

In other purchase news, some conduit arrived. I ordered 2" flexible conduit from smarthome. It comes with a nylon cord in it. I can tell you from experience, tape that cord down before you install it. Otherwise it will come rolling out in front of you and your horror while you ar congradulating yourself on a job well done. Fishing a new string is a PITA. I wound up ripping it out, and installing some more (I have lots left over). I ran 2" conduit to the PJ, and to the front stage. I ran speaker wire for the surrounds. Here is 50' of conduit:

I hate to do this to you, but...

Get a pail of electricians pull string. Wrap about 30 turns around your palm (maybe more for 2",) tie the bitter end around the center of the ball (butterfly style,) and cut the loops with scissors... Instant pom-pom on the end of a VERY long string.

Jamb pom-pom in one end of conduit, attach shopvac to other end of conduit, watch new fishtape FLY out of bucket.

FWIW, this method should also work when the conduit is partially occupied, but you can avoid that little horrorshow by always keeping a string in the conduit.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I second the above. After spending 30 minutes trying to get a screwdrive tied to a string to "work" its way through the pipe (I should of videotaped this, would of been really funny), I tied a paper towel to a string and sucked it through with my shopvac. Took about 10 seconds.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Sure, now you guys tell me

It wasn't that big a deal in the end, as I have plenty of conduit to spare. But I am glad you told me in case I have any problems pulling the wires through later. I have decided to leave the conduit empty for now, and pull my front speaker wires and video cables after sheetrock (Friday). I have gone back and forth, and if I was DIYing, I'd pre-run and leave the conduit empty for the future. But its been enough of a struggle with the contractors that I don't trust them, especially since the plasterers are a separate subbed out crew. Hope my speaker wire to the surrounds come out okay.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Dave,

Did your drywall guys show up? Just curious what you decided to do with your speaker wires? Wall plates or no wallplates?

Judson

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonp /forum/post/0

Dave,

Did your drywall guys show up? Just curious what you decided to do with your speaker wires? Wall plates or no wallplates?

Judson

Pushed back to Friday for drywall.

I ran the conduit to the stage area. I am going to put a box in for that (and for the video) and leave the conduit empty. I will decide whether to wall-plate or run direct after the drywall is up.

Where did you get that black wall plate for all the wire spitting out? Smarthome?

BTW - I got my rails from nineteeninch.com which you referenced- - no complaints.

·
Registered
736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/0

Pushed back to Friday for drywall.

I ran the conduit to the stage area. I am going to put a box in for that (and for the video) and leave the conduit empty. I will decide whether to wall-plate or run direct after the drywall is up.

Where did you get that black wall plate for all the wire spitting out? Smarthome?

BTW - I got my rails from nineteeninch.com which you referenced- - no complaints.

Pictures look great! I will have to look into that air return idea as I might have a similar issue.

I got the bulk wire wall plate from FourPair.com . Other places had it but this was the better price/shipping/color.

Glad that nineteeninch.com worked out for you. I will definitely use them for the rest of my rack goodies!

Judson

81 - 100 of 523 Posts