·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Pretty!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Dave,

Was that the rope lighting from 1000 bulbs? What color as it looks a little blue in the picture?

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180c /forum/post/0

Dave,

Was that the rope lighting from 1000 bulbs? What color as it looks a little blue in the picture?

Should be. Its is blue LED's, and yes its from 1000 bulbs.

Crown is up, ceiling is painted. Electrician comes tomorrow for finish work, I post pics afterwards.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Small update -

First layer of paint went up, columns built (basic form, will be modified), crown is up, and the stage went in today. Electrician rescheduled, so nothing much there. Wednesday or Thursday.

Few shots:

I only put one line up for the blue tape. We got bum advice (primed before the veneer plaster fully dried), and the primer really pealed with the tape - so I didn't see the benefit of marking all four lines. The line is a 7 foot screen (planned 16:9) here is the front, no flash:

front, flash (shows the milano blue differences):

Side columns (spaced for two Gpower-style panels between columns)

Puck light test - light pattern is a bit broader than ideal. These are to wash the walls, so more of a spot effect is desireable. I can only find pretty generic ones in line voltage. There are many pretty ones in low voltage, but then you risk transformer hum, and compatability questions. I will probably go with these. No lack of light though!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Looking good Dave. I hope you like the crown setup as it works great for me. What size screen were you going with again? I would put the largest one you can fit in that room. I went with a 106" diagonal Carada and it is sweet!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Dave,

Really like how the crown came out, looks really good. That milano blue on the ceiling also looks sharp. Cant wait to see your pics with the rope light in the crown.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180c /forum/post/0

Looking good Dave. I hope you like the crown setup as it works great for me. What size screen were you going with again? I would put the largest one you can fit in that room. I went with a 106" diagonal Carada and it is sweet!

Thanks. My wife is not yet 100% on board with as big as humanly possible - so I am going to set it up, and wait on building the frame until I get the CRT projector dialed in (fixed throw ratio, some adjustability in the strut), and build the screen later to match. I have 4 yards of SmX in the attic. The plan for now is 7 ft wide, or a 92" diagonal. Primary seating is at 10 feet. I think we may be able to bump it towards a 100" diag once we get going. I am going to get a bedsheet or something to emulate with (or the wall). I am happy with the crown so far. Adds a lot.

Quote:
Really like how the crown came out, looks really good. That milano blue on the ceiling also looks sharp. Cant wait to see your pics with the rope light in the crown.

Thanks. Only one coat of paint up for now, and not edged in the back. They have some holes to patch, and the rear soffit side was built with pine, so we'll smear joint compound over it to eliminate the wood grain and get it to match the other walls. I am anxious to get the rope light up and running too. Wednesday or Thursday.

Curved front soffit goes up today.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Dave,

Trust me, don't do the 92" screen!!!! I am at 106" from an 11' view distance and it is awesome. When pictures are in 2.35:1 now I don't really even notice the loss of height. 100" from 10' will be perfect. I am not sure where the cut off is, but somewhere between my 61" upstairs at the same view distance to the 106" downstairs the experience totally changes from watching a large TV to being in a cinema. Don't ask me where that cut off is, as I only know it definitely changes somewhere in between.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I wouldn't mention size to the wife, just set it up and say what da ya think. When she says "ya that's good" you say "100 inches it is then".

·
Registered
589 Posts
Great answer oman! I doubt the wife will pull out a tape measure, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Wow... Insert punchline here!

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
She isn't going to be breaking out the tape measurer, that's for sure. The standard we will face is whether the size is comfortable for her. She is visually driven, so when something doesn't look right, she knows it. But she was telling her brother that the screen was going to be 8 or 9 feet wide, so there is some leeway. The other side of the coin is light output from the PJ - I want plenty of pop. I suspect 100" will be the right midpoint between the various constituencies - there I said it.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Dave,

Is the blue LED light you bought dimmable? I really looks sweet and I am in the market for some.

Also, to support what others have said, I am going with 105" from about 11 feet.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Gonzo -

Everyone seems to say so, at least in a few threads. Cherokee did it with zwave dimmers (using clear LED rope from them), and some one else (can't remember) confirmed that it works with a grafik eye. I will be able to confirm it works with a GE on Wed/Thurs - depending which day the electrician comes out.

Its ghastly expensive at about $3.70 per foot shipped for the spool. I'll use about 1/3 of the spool, and had a couple inquiries on the rest since I am going to sell the remaining stuff at a discount. There was an e-bay seller who had one with similar specs for about half price, but I had no way of knowing if it would be dimmable, and no real return policy. I held my nose and hoped for the best.

If anyone loses interest, I can let you know if I have some extra. I want to see how much I have left, and how much people need (first come, first serve for Oman and then Bud). Cherokee said they'd sell custom lengths but I didn't notice that on their website and didn't call. Would have been the cheaper option than taking the whole nut, and selling my excess.

I am really looking forward to it going up, to see if I wasted my money.

·
Registered
589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/0

Gonzo -

Everyone seems to say so, at least in a few threads. Cherokee did it with zwave dimmers (using clear LED rope from them), and some one else (can't remember) confirmed that it works with a grafik eye. I will be able to confirm it works with a GE on Wed/Thurs - depending which day the electrician comes out.

Its ghastly expensive at about $3.70 per foot shipped for the spool. I'll use about 1/3 of the spool, and had a couple inquiries on the rest since I am going to sell the remaining stuff at a discount. There was an e-bay seller who had one with similar specs for about half price, but I had no way of knowing if it would be dimmable, and no real return policy. I held my nose and hoped for the best.

If anyone loses interest, I can let you know if I have some extra. I want to see how much I have left, and how much people need (first come, first serve for Oman and then Bud). Cherokee said they'd sell custom lengths but I didn't notice that on their website and didn't call. Would have been the cheaper option than taking the whole nut, and selling my excess.

I am really looking forward to it going up, to see if I wasted my money.

Dave,

I could not use the LED due to the low wattage as the Vizia Z-wave dimmers needed a minimum of 40 watts to work correctly. I actually had to take back the Costco LED lights because of that problem. I did purchase the regular 3 watt/foot rope lighting from 1000bulbs.com and it works great. They do custom cut lengths of the regular rope lighting but not sure on the LED. I only needed to purchase 42' so it was pretty cheap.

mbgonzomd, you will really be happy with that size/distance in your setup if you have not already tried it out.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
You asked for convex - you got it:

Here are a couple of under shots, under construction. The curved part is made of some kind of composite. Like vinyl. It feels plastic to the touch, is meant for outdoor work, and they tell me its paintable. I have some doubts, but worst case I'll remove the trim and wrap it in fabric. I had discussed keeping the portion of the soffit over the stage open, to allow it to be used for bass trapping, if needed. We talked about adding plywood to the bottom of the curved portion, but I haven't talked to the guys yet to see if their opinion changed. I think the curved portion will need a flat surface on the bottom (no jokes here please), but it can be fabric if need be. I have been holding a few open spots for treatments, and sent my questionaire into Bpape - hopefully some of these spaces will serve a purpose. Anyways, some under pics showing the guts.

Another, closer:

I'll need to think about this transition between the curved soffit and the crown. Maybe some kind of DIY emblem or something. Its not too bad as is, but it kind of ends.

This is pretty close to the end of the carpenter's work in the theater (electrician tomorrow or Thursday), so these updates are going to slow down quite a bit as we move into DIY time. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/0

The curved part is made of some kind of composite. Like vinyl. It feels plastic to the touch, is meant for outdoor work, and they tell me its paintable. I have some doubts, but worst case I'll remove the trim and wrap it in fabric.

Another, closer:

I'll need to think about this transition between the curved soffit and the crown. Maybe some kind of DIY emblem or something. Its not too bad as is, but it kind of ends.

The flexible exterior plastic trim is probably this stuff: http://www.komatrimboards.com/

I picked up a 1x12x18' of this from Taylor Lumber in Marshfield ($72) to play with the material and decide whether its' right for a few boat projects. (It is, IMHO, so I bought a 3/8x4x10 sheet of it for $120.)

Can be glued/screwed/cut/machined like wood, is available in several moulding profiles, and being PVC can be solvent welded with PVC/CPVC solvent from a plumbers supply.

Nice matte white by default... Hmmm..... DIY screen fodder? I'll have to check!

I can tell you from firsthand experience that this material has a fantastic affinity for latex based paint.

This is technically an engineering Foam, so cut edges are really porous and must be sealed and sanded prior to painting if the edge is going to be visible.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Dave that looks SWEET! There should be no problems painting it, just test a piece as you may need a primer. Design by comittee, I love it.

Stay tuned for the subliminal message

161 - 180 of 523 Posts