AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 973 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Brad - nice choice on the carpet - I like it a lot. And your build is coming along very nicely as well!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Thanks guys! Sometimes when I post an update and don't get any feedback, I suspect I've done something horribly wrong and nobody wants to mention it! =)

I'm going to set up the carpet install in about 3 weeks, to give me some time to get my sawdust making done hopefully, so I don't make as much of a mess with the carpet.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/19978229

Sometimes when I post an update and don't get any feedback, I suspect I've done something horribly wrong and nobody wants to mention it! =)

Well you did post a picture of an empty Berkline box not the actual chair so that we could see what color and style you picked.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Yes, but the box, what are your thoughts on the box? I wonder if I should have gone with a darker shade of cardboard.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/19978769

Yes, but the box, what are your thoughts on the box? I wonder if I should have gone with a darker shade of cardboard.

I think that shade of cardboard goes perfectly with the blue highlights.

BTW...the carpet picks all look very nice.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The carpet looks good. Mine was $47/square yard
, so it sounds like a bargain to me!

The box looks good and will complement the carpet very well.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum /forum/post/19978828

The carpet looks good. Mine was $47/square yard
, so it sounds like a bargain to me!

The box looks good and will complement the carpet very well.

Oh yeah, I looked at some intricately patterned carpets like that, but too rich for my blood.

Thanks guys for the box support!

If nothing else, I figure the cardboard will be useful to lay down on top of a layer of plastic drop sheeting, to put the ladder on when I inevitably have to do some more work on the ladder after the carpet is in.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Yeah, that's the one I'd like to use over the insulation behind my false wall - if the inspector is OK with the FR rating (701 small scale - not explicitly rated as E-84 class A). Duvetyn an Commando Cloth are basically the same thing, available in different weights/thicknesses - some places call it Duvetyn, others call the same thing Lightweight Commando Cloth. The lighter weights are better as far as the breath test.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
I had the building inspector come by on Monday to check progress (in particular the extra zone of lighting in the soffit that I pulled a supplemental permit for, and subsequently installed) and see what I need to do before I can call for final inspection. Its a different guy than before, apparently they switched up which areas of the city they each cover. Fine by me, this guy seems easier to work with, more patient in explaining things to me as a non-contractor. Had me a little worried at first though:

- soffit lighting: worried about the cans being mounted against a plywood ceiling (soffit bottom), vs. drywall; not sure if they will be allowed, due to CA Title 24 (energy efficiency requirements)

- fabric: specs for FR fabrics need to be reviewed

- closet door: needs to be a 20 minute (fire) door

- outlets buried inside the columns: need to be brought out to the column face or side

- general: need to review load calcs on all electrical

After some research on his end, and mine, and a follow-up phone conversation this morning:

- soffit lighting: I showed him the manufacturer's installation instructions, which explicitly state that mounting against a wood ceiling is OK (other parts can't touch wood, bottom of the can is OK), and he was fine with that part; also said that for whatever reason, I was fine re: the Title 24 concern - he asked if they're on a dimmer, they are, maybe that was part of it, dunno. So I'm good there, whew, I really wasn't looking forward to ripping those all out and replacing with LED equivalents and a transformer.

- fabric: turns out since the fabric in question is inside the room envelope (after the drywall is up), they don't care at all - it doesn't even need to be fire retardant - I'll still get fire retardant fabric though, for my own peace of mind, but won't need to worry whether its FR 701, or ATSM E-84 class A, IFR, PFR, FR, etc.

- closet door: I think he misinterpreted the code on this, I think he was applying the rule for a door between an garage and living space; this is between the HT and the HT closet; the other side of the closet is the garage,

separated by drywall / framing / drywall, which provides the required fire break. After I read the code, and challenged this (in as humble a way as I could), he put me on hold, and either reviewed the code or discussed with a colleague, and came back and said as long as I have 1/2" drywall on the garage side too (I have 5/8" on both sides), I'm fine.

- outlets: they're OK where they are as long as the access panels on the front of the columns are removable (they are), and the outlets are flush to the wall (which is something I need to fix - box extensions were added assuming they would be flush with 1" deep wall panels - need to replace those extensions with shorter mud rings and patch).

- general: he didn't mention the load calcs, maybe he was satisfied since the halogens are on a dimmer? I did verbally go over the load calc for the lighting zone, 10.8 amps for all lights combined.

So I think all I need to do before recalling for final is plug an unused slot in the subpanel and fix those outlets. Not bad! Well, unless he shows up next time and finds something else that he didn't notice last time, which I wouldn't be surprised at.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Took the last couple days off work to get in some real work, HT work that is. I finished building the column face panels for all six columns:

Picture of the grill guides that attach the column face panels:

and almost finished adding furring strips to all the walls:

Here's one of the concealed outlets that I need to redo the mud rings on, to get the flush with the wall:

I'll be building 1" deep wall panels, sitting on top of 1/2" furring strips - loosely based on the GPowers plan, but wide panels (26" high, ~66" wide - although the width varies slightly due to column placement), built from two layers of 1/2" plywood (vs. 1/2" plywood + 1/2" MDF), and probably rounded off edges, vs. angled. Here's a couple in place, no routered edges yet and not mounted yet:

The 3 big panels on each wall section will be removable; the top and bottom pieces will be permanently attached, so I can add baseboard and crown if I decide to.

Tentatively planning on using ball/socket speaker grill guides to attach them, but maybe velcro. Have used the ball/sockets on my column faces, with no problems, but these panels are much larger, so will have to test it out on a panel or two.

Panels will house 1" OC 703 1/2" off the wall - or maybe 1.5" OC 703. But I'll defer adding the insulation until after I have carpet and furniture in, all the panels built, and have done measurements to see how much absorption I need.

I was waffling a little between doing full fabric frames and just painting it, and adding hung panels later on (fabric sticker shock) - but the fabric panel look is something I've wanted since the outset - once I screwed and liquid nailed down a few furring strips, there's no turning back!

Here's my brad nailer:

I figure I'll be working on these panels for about, oh, the next six months.

Edit: added pictures.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Brad,

So when you say all the walls I'm assuming you are including the screen wall too?

I'm trying to figure out if I should do the furring strips and using finished trim to cover up the staple rows after the fabric is mounted...or take the easy way out and use fabricmate.

Leaning fabricmate. I can make a custom one for my electric panel and be done with it.

I'm thinking of ordering the Duvetyn as well...in the big width...

We should split a whole roll and you can ship me a 1/4 of it.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/20017805

Brad,

So when you say all the walls I'm assuming you are including the screen wall too?

The wall behind the screen is furred out with 2x2s, and will be covered with speaker cloth (just stapled on, and trim applied - no wall frames). The false wall I will cover with Duvetyn or Commando Cloth (need to test how opaque the Duvetyn is) covered wall frames that will be attached to the false wall framing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/20017805

We should split a whole roll and you can ship me a 1/4 of it.

Lol, hopefully I don't need THAT much (that would be 75'). Plus I'm mixing fabrics, the walls will be something else - not sure what yet, maybe GoM, maybe something else if I can find a color/texture I like cheaper than GoM.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Added pictures a couple posts up.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Speaker columns are looking great. I cant wait to see how you plan to cover them and finish them as well as the wall treatments. Taking notes here.....

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B /forum/post/20028324

The speaker columns are turning out nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve /forum/post/20028454

Speaker columns are looking great. I cant wait to see how you plan to cover them and finish them as well as the wall treatments.

Thanks guys - I can't wait to see how they turn out too! Guess I should actually get off my butt and order cloth and get them covered - too much exposed wood in the room, hope the fabric stage goes faster than the wood stage.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
How are you planning on wrapping the columns?

201 - 220 of 973 Posts