Very nice, very nice indeed!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC /forum/post/20221373

Very nice, very nice indeed!

Thanks Jeff - you reminded me I need to post some kudos in your thread on that pimped out rack, that lighting looks hot.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Not to sound like the fire marshal or anything, but don't you need two ways out of every room, like a window or something?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20221492

Thanks Jeff - you reminded me I need to post some kudos in your thread on that pimped out rack, that lighting looks hot.

Thanks Man! Turned out good I think. Now get back to it...love your column angles and looking forward to seeing it come together

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/20222463

Not to sound like the fire marshal or anything, but don't you need two ways out of every room, like a window or something?

Surprisingly enough, its a permitted build, and they're OK with it - maybe because it doesn't qualify technically as habitable space due to being attached to a detached garage?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/20222463

I only have one way in/out of my basement as it doesnt technically qualify as habitable/sq. footage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looking very good Brad! And if myself and everyone else on here steal your column idea then we can all start our own column appreciation club!

Keep it up!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mark me down as one thinking about stealing that column concept if I do columns!!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caviguy96 /forum/post/20231207

Looking very good Brad! And if myself and everyone else on here steal your column idea then we can all start our own column appreciation club!

Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu /forum/post/20231533

Mark me down as one thinking about stealing that column concept if I do columns!!

Thanks guys, look forward to your variations on the theme if you do decide to go in that direction! As I mentioned a while back, my columns are after all a variation on other designs I've seen here (such as Ronnie Jackson's).

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte
Surprisingly enough, its a permitted build, and they're OK with it - maybe because it doesn't qualify technically as habitable space due to being attached to a detached garage?

I'm not the foremost on residential codes, but I was under the impression that the two "exits" were for bedrooms, that's why to count a bedroom in the basement you needed an egress window to have that covered. I would guess Brad that you're correct as the space your building is actually considered a "garage" and not a living space connected to your home.

Somewhere around here there was a AVS member who built a theater but to get it permitted had to call it a "large walk-in closet" for it to meet code. Ah government gotta love codes and bureaucracy.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
504 Posts
The building planner in my county didn't have a problem with me walling over the windows in an upstairs "bonus" room, as long as the room wasn't used for sleeping. Of course that means when I sell the house I can only count 4 of 5 beds, unless I open the windows back up.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/20269393

I saw you mentioned that the lights were halogen. A problem that I ran into and one that I'm sure you will too with the THT firing right up at the soffit with lights, is that they will blow out if you run it loud. I'm going to finish the 30 pack of lights I had to buy then look into LED alternatives.

Lol, wow, definitely something I hadn't considered. In you case are there lights directly above the THT? Closest with mine are a few feet away, wonder if that matters. Also, I'll be trying laying it flat firing into the side wall, and compare the response.

I thought you moved away from the THTs though - or running them with your new subs as well?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I haven't had a halogen bulb go out on me, but incandescents don't last long.
It will be nice when we can affordably make the switch to LED.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Catching up on some of my recent piddling but forward (mostly) progress - generally trying to get ready for carpet install - was hoping for this week, but the first day that they can come when I'm at the house will be next week.

The inside of the entry door frame was a sloppily done drywall/mud job that wasn't even and was cracking already, so I decided to fill the jamb with fabric covered panels (speaker cloth over 1/2" plywood - wood on the left side is the edge of a wall frame panel):

Access panel for soffit lighting junction box:

access panel for concealed outlet connected to rope light:

Gave my screen wall a C section - before:

after:

(got the idea from Big Jefe in another thread, and it made a lot of sense to me to lighten up the false wall framing, and make it easier to drag the THT around to test out sub locations, etc.)

finished making the last of the wall panels - the bottom row - these will be permanently affixed to the furring once they are covered with fabric - because of the odd shapes, and with the carpet not in yet, I had been putting them off - but I decided to just build them to 1" off the concrete floor, which will be more than enough room for the carpet installers to run the carpet under (and I can remove the panels if they want), and small enough to cover with baseboard.

close up of the same panel - three others basically like this, the ones that butt up against the stage and riser:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Brad - you read my mind on the door jamb - that's exactly what I'm planning...looks great! I hope the carpet installers don't find you trapped under that THT in a week!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Here are some fabric samples I'm pondering:

top to bottom: GoM Broadcast Chinchilla; Dazian Janus Fieldstone; Dazian Janus Bronze:

top to bottom: GoM FR 701 Camel; GoM Framework Stone:

top to bottom: GoM Broadcast Mink; GoM FR 701 Earth:

GoM FR 701 Moleskin; GoM FR 701 Light Moss:

all together, with flash (looks like I need to paint the bracing behind the frames black after all):

without flash, colors look different under different lighting of course:

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji /forum/post/20302288

Brad - you read my mind on the door jamb - that's exactly what I'm planning...looks great! I hope the carpet installers don't find you trapped under that THT in a week!

Thanks! and thanks for bumping me on the head to post some newer pics

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Brad,

Great job, looks great. As for your color selection here are my top choices. The darker colors Chinchilla and mink the lighter colors Earth and moss get my vote. Are you doing a combo of colors or a solid color. Sorry if you covered this already, just can't remember ATM.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great work, Brad. You have some really great ideas there and they are very well executed.

I like the Mink and the Light Moss.

321 - 340 of 973 Posts