AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 973 Posts

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Ted, that's what I suspected too, but wasn't sure if maybe *I* was missing something. I guess I have to decide what's most important to me, and go with that.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks Ted, you rock!

Another option I have would be to mount the IB manifold behind the screen false wall - but if I did that, I'd need to turn that false wall into a "real" wall, vs just open framing - and would need to bring planned corner traps out from behind it. Or just scrap the IB, and go with a conventional subwoofer. Choices choices. Hard to choose when so much of this is based on a leap of faith vs. actual personal experience with many of the options.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/18663260

I've heard that speakers in corners are sort of a no-no, but maybe less so with rear surrounds? I guess I'll have to find out.

Corner placement affects a speaker's bass response. With surrounds, you have two advantages: (1) most surround speakers don't go deep enough into the bass region for corner loading to make a big difference; and (2) you can change the crossover point between the surrounds and the subwoofer. If the bass from the surrounds is too boomy, you can always try moving the crossover point up.

Incidentally, I think putting a speaker at the wall/ceiling corner creates the same kind of bass problems as putting the speaker in a wall/wall corner.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wow that's looking pretty good!

I like how it's in a separate building completely for noise. But with that setup if the spouse can hear it so can the neighbors.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp /forum/post/18703253

Corner placement affects a speaker's bass response. With surrounds, you have two advantages: (1) most surround speakers don't go deep enough into the bass region for corner loading to make a big difference; and (2) you can change the crossover point between the surrounds and the subwoofer. If the bass from the surrounds is too boomy, you can always try moving the crossover point up.

Incidentally, I think putting a speaker at the wall/ceiling corner creates the same kind of bass problems as putting the speaker in a wall/wall corner.

Thanks, I'll keep the crossover point in mind if I run into any trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/18703559

If you haven't read theFFlaming Oak build you should, Catham built a big triple DW layered manifold for his IB setup behind the screen wall. About the size of a small bedroom in a NY apartment.

I do remember checking his thread before, but it was a while ago, and not sure how far through I waded - or if he had implemented the IB at the time. I'll take a look again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leifashley27 /forum/post/18703675

Wow that's looking pretty good!

I like how it's in a separate building completely for noise. But with that setup if the spouse can hear it so can the neighbors.

She sleeps like a rock, she shouldn't be a problem.
Neighbors, well, we'll see...

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Had the contractors redo the stage and riser to disconnect it from the walls (will be interesting seeing how they can attach the drywall back there):

The inspector required that all the framing for the riser and stage be treated - not sure why, since it sits on top of pressure treated underneath, but OK:

The stage was filled with sand (is it dry, well not exactly):

New sub panel installed, and new 4 GA wiring pulled through conduit to main panel - thankfully it pulled OK, no need to break any concrete, which was my main worry:

All electrical boxes installed and wired, ceiling cans installed:

The weekend is here, and so is my box of wiring stuff from monoprice, so I should be busy (back willing - tweaked it last week somehow) - and can finally start contributing more than finger pointing and writing checks.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got done with *most* of the wiring over the weekend, but still have a couple more fun trips under the crawlspace of the house to do - ugh, hate that part (very shallow, lots of plumbing and concrete/wood debris under the house). I managed to get the 3 wires (2x RG6, 1x CAT5e) routed through the conduit - but the last RG6 got stuck hard - got it all the way through, with several feet out the end, but then it froze - guess I should have used lubricant, didn't, lesson learned. I guess I'll have to splice that last RG6 that doesn't extend far enough, oh well, crossing fingers.

Today, the construction crew will install the entry doors, attic ladder (garage side), insulate the riser, and put the tops on the riser and stage.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just about ready for insulation and drywall (I *think* - hope I didn't forget anything). Here's the low voltage wiring I ran:
  1. 7 runs of CL2 14 GA to each of the speaker locations
  2. 2 runs of CL2 12 GA to the ceiling, for future IB subwoofer use (if I decide to - still on the fence)
  3. 3 RG6 RCA cables - to left front and right front for subwoofer(s); and to front of riser for possible Buttkicker.
  4. 2 RG6 from house wiring closet, through underground conduit, and into the HT A/V closet
  5. 1 CAT5 through conduit
  6. 1 CAT5 from A/V closet to front center, for IR repeater "eye", to be located above screen
  7. 2 HDMI cables from A/V closet to PJ mounting location

doors are in - still need to buy lockset, and interior door for A/V closet:

stage - filled with sand, and plywood on top - looks kind of spartan, not sure if I should add a "step" ledge in front like many do, or leave it as is:

riser - filled with insulation and two layers of plywood on top, 1 1/2" overhang:

riser has been decoupled from exterior walls:

Buttkicker RCA cable:

steps on sides of riser, also with 1 1/2" lip:

conduit with wires pulled:

a/v closet, yup, lots of wires there:

HDMI drops near projector:

IB subwoofer wiring drop - as mentioned, still on the fence whether to go ahead with an IB, it might be more hassle than its worth, I may just go for a DIY THT instead, and hide it behind the screen - any thoughts from those with experience with one or both (IB or THT)?

junction box on the right side for split A/C:

junction box up high on the left side for potential rope lighting - not sure whether to install a soffit and rope lighting, it would be purely decorative - or maybe I could create something less than a soffit but somewhat more than crown molding, to support rope light

questions:
  • For anyone who is using a split A/C, in a room that is not connected to the house A/C / ventilation - what are you doing for ventilation / fresh air?
  • What are you using to exhaust hot air from your A/V closet? I'm thinking some type of thermostat controlled fan to exhaust hot air into the attic, but not sure of what type - PC/rack types seem very small for the task, perhaps a low SONE rated bathroom type fan?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Looking good!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 /forum/post/18740872

Looking good!

Thanks Chris! Can't wait to get to the sitting back and enjoying it (and constantly upgrading it) stage that you're at now!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Not very exciting pictures to look at, but here it is anyway - the insulation is in, drywall next:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like the curved riser.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks RastusW

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/18745139

Thanks Chris! Can't wait to get to the sitting back and enjoying it (and constantly upgrading it) stage that you're at now!

Yes its a never ending upgrade! I'm on my second projector in less then a year.. Just added some new things to improve the rooms performance. Next is a masking system and a new receiver.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Drywall went in today - crew of 4 started around 8:30 and were done by 2:30 - wow. A little sloppy in places, but nothing too bad, more caulk and mud to the rescue.

garage side:

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Reworked the first post to contain more detail (floorplan, SketchUp model, etc.) and current progress - will update with the current plan and progress as things move ahead.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/18798128

Brad...I think you've blown it.

Don't scare me like that Dennis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/18798128

You had a PERFECT opportunity to create a wonderful drive-in theater from the 50's.

Wow, that certainly would have been original - not to mention bringing a unique set of (acoustic, lighting, waterproofing, squirrel) challenges!

21 - 40 of 973 Posts