AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 973 Posts

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Brad,

Well words can't really express the true feeling of how your room looks. Very, very well done. You truly have a very classy and great looking theater. All of the elements have come together in that rare combination to make it absolutely fantastic. You should be very happy, thrilled, and proud of how it all has come together.

Enjoy!

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Absolutely AWESOME Brad. I really like the color combinations you used and the soffit downlighting. It's clean and has nice accent lines. Congrats!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Brad,

I really like your color scheme.

You have black soffits and espresso bean color in the ceiling.

What colors are you using on your walls?

I had somewhat similar scheme but the color on the walls does not look good so I am looking for other options.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #546
You guys are too kind, thanks for all the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme /forum/post/20574767

What colors are you using on your walls?

Its Guilford of Maine Fabric, from the Broadcast line, and the color is called Chinchilla. Not sure if you're painting or doing fabric wall coverings? It might be hard to simulate with paint, because it changes in different lighting, due to a mix of a couple colors of thread in the pattern.

Swatch up close:

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #547
Talked to James (Jamestown) and Chris (Seymour A/V) tonight, to get my orders going for the screen frame and material. And now the wait begins...again...

·
Registered
534 Posts
So what is the final verdict on the screen size.

Let me guess.

Your false wall can accomodate 136 inch screen. So you chose a 136 inch wide AT screen.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #549
I hemmed and hawed, and eventually decided to go with what "felt right" for both 2.35:1 and for 16:9. I was planning on 2.35:1 CIH, but the height I liked for 2.35:1 just felt too small using that same height for 16:9. So I've decided to go with a CIA-ish format screen - 136" wide (you nailed it), 64" high. 2.35 goes full width, 16:9 goes full height. Masking at some point, but not immediately, unless the bars bug me - they usually don't too much. I'd rather err on the size of big than go too small, and have to completely redo the screen. I've been happy with the picture at this size so far on just a fabric temp screen, Eco mode.

·
Registered
29,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20575655

I've decided to go with a CIA-ish format screen - 136" wide (you nailed it), 64" high. 2.35 goes full width, 16:9 goes full height.

I don't think I've ever seen a CIA screen outside of commercial cinemas. So your 2.35 image will be roughly 136" x 57" while your 16x9 image will be about 114" x 64". Wonder how that will calibrate. Does the projector have two settings or will you have to manually zoom?
Quote:
Masking at some point, but not immediately, unless the bars bug me - they usually don't too much.

I doubt they will. The JVC projectors I've seen put out really nice blacks. The bars basically disappear in a dark room.
Quote:
I've been happy with the picture at this size so far on just a fabric temp screen, Eco mode.

Keep in mind you'll lose some light when you switch from your temp fabric to a real AT screen.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/0

Keep in mind you'll lose some light when you switch from your temp fabric to a real AT screen.

Wow, I would have thought just the opposite. I assumed the weave would be tighter on the AT screener (smaller holes), but I suppose that may not be the case. I guess if he has a non-AT fabric up, then there would be some light loss...... Hmmm

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/20575882

Does the projector have two settings or will you have to manually zoom?

Manually (power) zoom and shift. Not as elegant as the panny presets, but there were a number of factors I was trading off as far as projector features - price, light output, power zoom/shift/focus mandatory, pq, noise, etc - so had to compromise there. The panny is pretty much the only game in town with the presets (other than one vaporware projector).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/20575882

Ray called and reminded me of that as well (and noted that I need to compare the AT material without fabric behind it) - I did however compare output on a fabric (weave) sample, and if anything it was a little brighter, the weave is 1.2 gain, I guess the muslin I'm using is probably sub unity gain.

I can see Ray shaking his head now
- much bigger than he advised - and I do appreciate your advice Ray! - but I decided immersion was important to me - and I can always zoom it down when you come over. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A /forum/post/20576069

Wow, I would have thought just the opposite.

Depends of course on the fabric and screen material in question - as mentioned above, I found it to be as bright, actually a little brighter, but the fabric I was using wasn't intended as screen fabric, just something cheap to test sizes with - so could be low gain. I wonder if the weaves lose less light than say a perf screen.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Brad,

I about a month behind you so It will be great to see how you like the size of the screen.

I just got my projector yesterday so I am going to play with various screen sizes.

My current thought is 130 Inch wide and 62 Inch high. This will give me a 110 Inch 16:9 screen. 110 Inch will be much better size than 98 Inch wide 16:9 screen that I would have had if I went to 2.35 130 screen that was 55 inch high.

My basement height is 105 Inches but soffits take up a lot of space so I am left with 92 inch height. I hope I can get away with a 62 high screen. I have read recommendations that viewing angle from seating position should be no more than 15 degrees. I have to figure out how to calculate the viewing angle from my primary seating position.

I am thinking of positioning the screen about 20 inches from the ground and this will give me 10 inches above the screen.

I don't plan to do any masking in the beginning. Bars have not bothered me in the past.

·
Registered
29,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte
The panny is pretty much the only game in town with the presets (other than one vaporware projector).
Worth giving up that one convenience for the better picture you got.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Beautiful Job Brad, Your theater is georgeous!

Brad

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Pretty fly................for a white guy!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Love to watch you theater come together. It has helped me make some of my decisions. I'm also trying to figure out the best screen size, but don't have to decide quite yet, but i'm putting in the biggest screen that i want to have and if the first projector i get doesn't fill it, then i'll mask off part of the screen. Eventually when i upgrade projectors (which i'm sure by then will only be brighter), I can then unmask if needed. Future proofing. .. . But who knows by then maybe i'll want a silver screen or whatever new stuff is out then. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/20577806

Worth giving up that one convenience for the better picture you got.

Yup, plus having visited several local HTs with you guys that have the JVCs, it made me pretty confident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK /forum/post/20581406

Beautiful Job Brad, Your theater is georgeous!

Thanks namesake, I'm happy with how its turning out so far. Nothing quite to your level of woodwork mastery, but I am at least becoming quite handy with fabric - I think I'm at about 22,000 staples, and still have the screen wall to do, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad /forum/post/20582098

Awesome Theater Brad!! Beautiful Job!

Thanks Chad! Getting there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve /forum/post/20582115

Pretty fly................for a white guy!!

Man, is it that obvious, do I act that white online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Pete /forum/post/20582527

i'm putting in the biggest screen that i want to have and if the first projector i get doesn't fill it, then i'll mask off part of the screen. Eventually when i upgrade projectors (which i'm sure by then will only be brighter), I can then unmask if needed. Future proofing. .. . But who knows by then maybe i'll want a silver screen or whatever new stuff is out then. Just a thought.

Thanks Doc! Yeah, that was my thought as well, hopefully the screen will live through a few projector upgrades.

Last night I watched Moon on the muslin sheet - the bars are really barely noticeable, and not at all distracting. Masking shmasking.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Brad - took a break from my construction to check out your thread. Theater is really looking good. Love the colors. Keep up the good work

541 - 560 of 973 Posts