·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #562

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Seymour won't have more AT material until 6/30 - oh well, I guess a few more weeks of muslin screen won't kill me - hope to have it by Jul 4th weekend, but unlikely I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Did the fan mod on my QSC power amp that drives the THT LP - huge difference, the old fan was a turbo propI just finished scanning through your thread on your project. GREAT WORK!I have a question regarding the QDC fan mod that you pictured on page 5 of this thread. I just bought a QSC RMX 4050HD to drive one/two Danley DTS-10's. Upon powering it up I noticed that the fan noise was very noticeable like a background hum.I have an small audio closet that's on the other side of my front theater wall. It has 73 inch rack rails framed through an opening into the room to mount AV gear. There is another pair of 60-nch rack rails framed inside the closet. Even if I mount the QSC amp inside the closet, it can be heard (muffled) distinctly in the theater room.Can you give me all the info on sourcing and installing the mod? What was the CFM rating of the stock and replacement fans? How many DB did it drop the noise floor?Does your new unit have the CFM's to cool a 4050HD?ThanksPeterC

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
This room is GORGOUS!!!! Great job Brad

I am currently in the middle of a remodel and am trying to find inspiration. Your build has given me great ideas that I might be able to use in my room.

Have you been able to run the Pro and Sho-10s through their paces yet? I have a JTR setup right now with a T12 front stage and slanted 8s for surrounds. The slanted 8's are about 12 1/2" deep and my room is not very wide so I was looking to buy something slimmer (that has dynamic sound).

I was looking at some JBL 8430As or some Sho-10s

Thanks for the detailed insight you are providing in your thread!!!!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 /forum/post/20605910

I just finished scanning through your thread on your project. GREAT WORK!

I have a question regarding the QDC fan mod that you pictured on page 5 of this thread. I just bought a QSC RMX 4050HD to drive one/two Danley DTS-10's. Upon powering it up I noticed that the fan noise was very noticeable like a background hum.

I have an small audio closet that's on the other side of my front theater wall. It has 73 inch rack rails framed through an opening into the room to mount AV gear. There is another pair of 60-nch rack rails framed inside the closet. Even if I mount the QSC amp inside the closet, it can be heard (muffled) distinctly in the theater room.

Can you give me all the info on sourcing and installing the mod? What was the CFM rating of the stock and replacement fans? How many DB did it drop the noise floor?

Does your new unit have the CFM's to cool a 4050HD?

Thanks

PeterC

Thanks for the support Peter!

The fan I used was model FBA08A24L from digikey . Specs say 24 CFM and 21 dB. It is a LOT quieter than before the mod - now the whining from my Sony BD player is the noisiest component in the rack (maybe until I add an XBOX). Neither are audible when the equipment closet is closed now though (the amp definitely was audible before the mod).

Not sure if its enough for your amp, maybe you can find specs on the stock fan for comparison? I found reference to the part I used in other QSC and Behringer pro amp mod threads here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 /forum/post/20614029

This room is GORGOUS!!!! Great job Brad

I am currently in the middle of a remodel and am trying to find inspiration. Your build has given me great ideas that I might be able to use in my room.

Have you been able to run the Pro and Sho-10s through their paces yet? I have a JTR setup right now with a T12 front stage and slanted 8s for surrounds. The slanted 8's are about 12 1/2" deep and my room is not very wide so I was looking to buy something slimmer (that has dynamic sound).

I was looking at some JBL 8430As or some Sho-10s

Thanks for the detailed insight you are providing in your thread!!!!

Thanks oc! Yeah, I've been listening to the speakers a lot now that the carpet and seats are in, and I have a projector. Some music, but mostly movies. No regrets at all, I really like what they give me. I've heard a lot about the JTRs, but haven't heard any in person yet. They're not that small though, I think about 10.5" deep, so not much shallower than the slanted 8's.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
And the countdown (or up) is at 14days.......!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Do you notice an imaging difference between the Pro10s and the Sho10 center you have?

In my room, that 2" difference between my surrounds and the Sho or Pro10s could be significant because of where the columns will be installed (back by the riser steps). I also have two DTS-10s as well. Trying to hide all of this large equipment in a my room gives me a headache everyday.

I just might have to pull a Jay-Z and make an appearance as I live somewhat near you!!!!

Great job and I will continue following your thread!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Brad,

My muslin screen looked very good and it only cost me $20. It is hard to figure out how much better a real AT screen will look like. The tried 130 wide and 62 inch white muslin screen. I am thinking of going with this size. I am trying to figure out the exact position of the screen.

My ceiling height is 105 inches. Soffits height is 92 inches. Ideally I wanted to have screen bottom 30 inches from the bottom but I don't have the height to do this. I am thinking of having the screen 20 inches from the bottom of the floor. The screen top will be 10 inches from the soffit. My primary viewing position will be around 14-15 feet.

THX recommends maximum vertical viewing angle to be 15 degrees. Based on this I think my screen position should be OK.

How are you positioning your screen?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #571

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 /forum/post/20616354

Do you notice an imaging difference between the Pro10s and the Sho10 center you have?

Before any EQ, using pink noise - yes; after EQ (MCACC in my case), and during normal HT / music use - no. For example, during pans across the front stage, I don't notice any timbre shift (which isn't to say there isn't one, there could be, but I don't hear it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 /forum/post/20616354

I just might have to pull a Jay-Z and make an appearance as I live somewhat near you!!!!

You're welcome to, just let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme /forum/post/20621412

My muslin screen looked very good and it only cost me $20. It is hard to figure out how much better a real AT screen will look like.

I'm sure mine will be noticeably better - just by virtue of not having bits of blue tape, thumbtacks, and sag in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme /forum/post/20621412

How are you positioning your screen?

Just eyeballing it, checking from front and rear rows for comfort and to ensure that the screen image is high enough off the floor so as to not be obscured. I'm sure I'll be higher than the 1/3 from the bottom guideline, haven't actually worked out the 15 degree angle. I'll adjust and fine tune when I get the frame and material.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #572
I finally have my sub *mostly* dialed in - I was getting a *clunk* sound on some scenes, after much fiddling, I determined that it was due to the sub amp gain being set too low, which resulted in MCACC calibrating the sub level too high, which led to the BFD input clipping - digital distortion does not sound nice. Strangely, the clipping wouldn't show up audibly at all when I bypassed EQ, but with it engaged, whatever minimal boosts I had set made it sound horrible. So, I maxed the sub amp gain, recalibrated MCACC, which changed the sub trim setting in the AVR from +3 to -5.

I say *mostly*, because I managed to get through a bunch of bass heavy scenes over the weekend from a demo disc, but a couple still hit the clunk wall - THX intro, and one scene from I, Robot (giant vehicles chasing car in tunnel). Still a bit more tweaking to do (but can't do the same tweak, since I'm out of gain on the sub amp - unless I go bridge mode, which I don't want to do, since I'd like to use the other channel for a second sub).

Watched Red Cliff over the weekend - in part 2, the naval battle is some insane extended sub workout material, check it out if you haven't!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #573
Screen material and frame both shipped today

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/0

Screen material and frame both shipped today

How exciting, looking forward to see the official first screening!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Pictures? Then it DIDNT happen my friend. We need a shipping confirmation or something. Lets go!!

Oh what size did you decide on??

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve /forum/post/20643289

Oh what size did you decide on??

Going with the ever popular 136" x 64", 2.125 aspect ratio. Because I'm just that way.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20643326

2.125 aspect ratio.

HUH?!?!?!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I joined the cult and ordered 130 x 60 so my AR will be 2.167.

Brad are you going to use masks to avoid the white bars on the screen?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve
HUH?!?!?!
Lost ya eh. :)

So, I started out planning for CIH, 2.35:1 - but after watching on my temp screen at various sizes, I determined that it wouldn't work for me: if I set up the 2.35 aspect at the size I liked, the 16:9 of the same height was underwhelming; if I started with the 16:9 size I liked, the 2.35 with that same size was way too big. I wanted wow/immersion for both, so I decided to take the height of 16:9 that I wanted, and the width of 2.35:1 I wanted, and build a screen with those dimensions. 16:9 will fill the full height, and have bars on the sides; 2.35:1 will fill the full width, and have bars on top and bottom. I may build 4 way masking at some point, but I've been watching without masking on the temp screen, and it seems fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme
I joined the cult and ordered 130 x 60 so my AR will be 2.167.

Brad are you going to use masks to avoid the white bars on the screen?
Nope, not going to worry about masking initially at least. Thanks for joining me on this heretical journey into non-standard aspect ratio screens. We're not pioneers, but there don't seem to be many of us. Thanks to Rich Harkness for showing us the light. :)

561 - 580 of 973 Posts