AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 973 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Wow I forgot all about this thread... I remember it back in the beginning and you have made phenominal progress! I didn't notice but are you still doing Seymour screen or Muslin?

I'll have to subscribe now, to make sure I don't miss anymore of the fun!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
Thanks sumav - the Muslin is just temporary until my Seymour material arrives. I used it to test out different screen sizes and aspects before settling on my screen dimensions.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,196 Posts
Brad I had to do some research to figure out what you were talking about with the Jamestown screen but found some threads in the screen forum. One quick question is that I noticed that the screens shown in the threads had a single midspan vertical support. Did you specify something else so that the support won't be right in front of the center channel? Looking forward to your documentation of the screen and fabric assembly.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20645246

One quick question is that I noticed the the screens shown in the threads had a single midspan vertical support. Did you specify something else so that the support won't be right in front of the center channel?

Yup, exactly - dialog via e-mail:

Brad: I'm planning on using Seymour A/V DIY acoustic transparent screen material - would it work on one of your frames? I guess one thing I would need to be different would be to have two center braces that are offset from the center, to not block the center channel behind the screen. Would that be possible with your design?

James: Yes we could build a screen frame for your material with offset center braces. Any material should work with our clamping frame system. I would suggest you buy the frame with our screen material to use as a pattern to cut out the Seymour.

Followed by a phone conversation where we went over it again, the viewable area size, and set up the order.

Tracking info says material by Thursday, frame by Friday - crossing my fingers!

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20302272

finished making the last of the wall panels - the bottom row - these will be permanently affixed to the furring once they are covered with fabric - because of the odd shapes, and with the carpet not in yet, I had been putting them off - but I decided to just build them to 1" off the concrete floor, which will be more than enough room for the carpet installers to run the carpet under (and I can remove the panels if they want), and small enough to cover with baseboard.

close up of the same panel - three others basically like this, the ones that butt up against the stage and riser:

Brad,

Re: post #333 ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20302272 ) Did 1" off of the floor turn out to be the right amount to leave for the carpet guy? Or, would you go a little less or more if you had it to do over? (I'm getting ready to do something similar except mine will be one piece of fabric from the bottom of the soffit to the floor and I'm using FabricMate track.)

Also, did you end up needed to remove the bottom panels for him?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Not to step on Brad's toes but he had carpet installed prior to installing his fabric panels. I am sure (in my opinion) that 1" would be fine as more than likely you will want (as I am sure Brad is doing as well)to install baseboards across the bottom anyway so it will be covered. Anyway back to you Brad.......

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
Right, as Steve mentioned, the spacing wasn't that critical since I plan to add baseboards to cover any gap. The 1" was fine, the bottom panels probably sit no more than 1/8" off the carpet - so I can drag my feet on the baseboards
. I did unscrew my bottom panels, just in case, so they wouldn't get dinged up, but they didn't care either way. I figured with them out of the way, they could run the carpet up closer to the wall.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Brad,

I could have missed it but I was wondering if you have decided on a room treatment avenue yet? I have been trying to educate myself regarding acoustic treatments and was just wondering what options you think would work for your room (1" rigid fiberboard paper in or out, a mix of absorbtion and diffusion on the side walls).

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20646209

Right, as Steve mentioned, the spacing wasn't that critical since I plan to add baseboards to cover any gap. The 1" was fine, the bottom panels probably sit no more than 1/8" off the carpet - so I can drag my feet on the baseboards
. I did unscrew my bottom panels, just in case, so they wouldn't get dinged up, but they didn't care either way. I figured with them out of the way, they could run the carpet up closer to the wall.

Excellent! I'm thinking of bringing the fabric wall right down to the carpet with no baseboard. Going for a super simple, clean look. But, I haven't decided for sure if it will work yet. Thanks for the info. -Mike

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20646209

the bottom panels probably sit no more than 1/8" off the carpet

On further review, probably closer to 3/8" - so I could have gone closer than 1" if I planned on no baseboards. Your best bet would be to ask the carpet installer what would work best for your particular carpet and pad, since it could differ.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeryan /forum/post/20647451

Excellent! I'm thinking of bringing the fabric wall right down to the carpet with no baseboard. Going for a super simple, clean look. But, I haven't decided for sure if it will work yet. Thanks for the info. -Mike

I would suggest making the panels against the carpet last to get a better fit. I built a few prior to carpet estimating the carpet and pad thickness only to pull them apart later to shorten them. I had the carpet installer put the tack strip away from the wall to account for the 1" panel thickness, but didn't take the tack strip height into account when building the frames. Thankfully, I only had four frames built without any fabric so it was a minor inconvenience. I really like how it looks without any baseboard.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Brad,

Somewhere in this thread you had provided a link to the clips that you use in your panels to attach them to the wall. These are installed in each corner and middle of your panel. They were black in color.

It was named something like kathunk. I have the spelling wrong.

Can you tell me what it is called?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #594

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 /forum/post/20646392

Brad,

I could have missed it but I was wondering if you have decided on a room treatment avenue yet? I have been trying to educate myself regarding acoustic treatments and was just wondering what options you think would work for your room (1" rigid fiberboard paper in or out, a mix of absorbtion and diffusion on the side walls).

I need to get off my butt and get a full range mic and preamp, so I can do proper room measurements with REW, and see what I need. Honestly, the room sounds pretty darn good as is, with just the bass trapping in place (and carpet and chairs, and "empty" fabric panels).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme /forum/post/20656176

Brad,

Somewhere in this thread you had provided a link to the clips that you use in your panels to attach them to the wall. These are installed in each corner and middle of your panel. They were black in color.

It was named something like kathunk. I have the spelling wrong.

Can you tell me what it is called?

Thanks

Haha, no, *kachunk* was just my lame attempt at describing how solid the connection is once the connectors connect the connection. Connect. They're called ball/socket speaker grill connectors, and I bought them at parts express.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
ka-chun-k!!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
I knew it wouldn't take you long to chime in

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
This ^^ is AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #598

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #600
Thanks Moggie! Pondering now whether I should use the standard mounting, or come up with something that would give me easier access to behind the screen when needed (like piano hinge and hatchback shocks?).

581 - 600 of 973 Posts