AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 973 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/20771624


I've watched the majority of TRON at -3 to reference.


When no one was home.


Just for fun.


It was awesome.

Just for fun? That's highly technical research.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/20771624


Star Trek is phenomenal.


Two scenes I'm still trying to figure out...is that my subs or is that the movie....The warp scene in Star Trek when they warp chasing the Enterprise, and in Tron when he gets sucked into the Laser to the Grid. Both either have crazy LFE that my subs can't reach, or the sound is just that odd. Seems to like echo like you are going into...I don't know a black hole or something.


I've watched the majority of TRON at -3 to reference.


When no one was home.


Just for fun.


It was awesome.

Greg, there's a scene in Star Trek that is best described as "awkward" on my system and a buddies system. When the Enterprise finally blasts free of the black hole. It's just an out of harmony sort of sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/20772165


Greg, there's a scene in Star Trek that is best described as "awkward" on my system and a buddies system. When the Enterprise finally blasts free of the black hole. It's just an out of harmony sort of sound.


That one is weird as well. What about when Eric Bana chases the Enterprise and goes to warp? What does that sound like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #685

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSINGH /forum/post/20775188


How did you make the panels? Do you have some detailed pictures of those.

Your theater looks awesome.

Best regards.

Thanks HSINGH. I used the same general approach as GPowers, which he documents here - except I used two layers of 1/2" plywood instead of plywood + MDF. I documented my frames starting about here .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts
Modern Warfare 2 load-out.


AK-74 with grenade Launcher. 2nd gun is the resupply pack.



Find a place with a good noob tube from heights and set up shop, claymore each entrance.


Set up claymore. reload pack. Set up 2nd claymore. Reload pack.


Grenade Launch (reload pack) until people get pissed.



And all that because I couldn't join your game the other night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
That is pure quality Greg.


Yeah matchmaking was the suck lately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/20777472


Modern Warfare 2 load-out.


AK-74 with grenade Launcher. 2nd gun is the resupply pack.



Find a place with a good noob tube from heights and set up shop, claymore each entrance.


Set up claymore. reload pack. Set up 2nd claymore. Reload pack.


Grenade Launch (reload pack) until people get pissed.



And all that because I couldn't join your game the other night.

Too much time on Black Ops my friend. It's AK-47 and your secondary is one man army......not that I have EVER done this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20777682


That is pure quality Greg.


Yeah matchmaking was the suck lately.

Matchmaking has sucked for me as well. I just replaced my router with a Netgear wndr3700 and it actually has made my xbox live connection worse. I am about to return it and try a different manufacturer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,317 Posts
What this thread needs is an UPDATE!!! Lets go already slacker....you act like you live in California with your laid back lifestyle and all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve /forum/post/20886576


What this thread needs is an UPDATE!!! Lets go already slacker....you act like you live in California with your laid back lifestyle and all.

Updates, hmm, lets see, I got Fall camo on the Mini Uzi, finished the Sit Rep Pro VI challenge, and am working on F2000 extended mags.


Oh, you mean theater??


Not a lot lately - since the projector and screen went in, coincidentally
- and was on vacation for the last couple weeks (despite continuing to post via iPhone). I did a few minor items on the to do list, like covering the last panel that's under the GrafikEye, putting a cover strip over the extension cord running to the back row of seats, etc. Nothing particular pic worthy though.


I was a little pissed that that last panel doesn't quite match - looks darker than the rest - must have reversed the material. Maybe I'll just put another layer of material over it, since I have extra, haven't decided my level of pissed yet, if I care enough to recover it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20886830


Updates, hmm, lets see, I got Fall camo on the Mini Uzi, finished the Sit Rep Pro VI challenge, and am working on F2000 extended mags.


Oh, you mean theater??


Not a lot lately - since the projector and screen went in, coincidentally
- and was on vacation for the last couple weeks (despite continuing to post via iPhone). I did a few minor items on the to do list, like covering the last panel that's under the GrafikEye, putting a cover strip over the extension cord running to the back row of seats, etc. Nothing particular pic worthy though.


I was a little pissed that that last panel doesn't quite match - looks darker than the rest - must have reversed the material. Maybe I'll just put another layer of material over it, since I have extra, haven't decided my level of pissed yet, if I care enough to recover it.


This is some funny stuff. I haven't played MW2 in about 2 weeks. Been hitting theater progress semi-hardcore. It rings a bell/hits a nerve with me about your fabric mishap. When covering one of my 4 columns I "mis-cut" heading into a corner to the tune of about 4". This resulted in a large open wound type situation. It is at the top of one of the rear columns. I decided to continue on and finish that column since I wrapped them (not including the 3 panels)in one continuous piece of fabric which would have meant throwing out the 3 yards of fabric ($45) and re-doing but but worse yet it would have meant I would of had to wait to finish that column since it was my last 4 yards. So I decided to install it and "see" what it looked like. Well since it is against a VERY black ceiling and in the back of the room it is extremely unnoticeable to even me who knows its there. I "may" redo someday but in all honesty once the seats go in noone will be back there near that column let alone inspecting the very top of it, it just REALLY REALLY REALLY pisses me of. I guess I am too much of a perfectionist hence the reason for destroying the first columns I built only to build new ones even before they were installed. I need to find a way to be a frugal perfectionist. (Sorry for the rant)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
72 Posts
My apologies for going waaaaaayyyy back into this thread, but I'm trying to figure out a soffit plan for my build and I want to do it AFTER the drywall like you did here but I have a couple questions that I hope you don't mind answering. I'm focusing on the sidewall soffits here, not the screen wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/19088495


I got the soffit mostly framed in over the weekend - still need to add a curved section at the front, and relocate the screen lights down into it (wasn't originally planning a soffit); as well as add the rope light tray and fixtures.


1. I'm following what you've done (I think!) up until this part but a few pages later, you've added the rope light and covered the bottom of the soffit in commando cloth and there's a picture where you've got the rope light on and it looks like the light is shining onto what WOULD be the plywood in this picture that rests against the ceiling but it looks smooth like painted drywall, so I'm confused. Did you cover the plywood in this picture?


2. Which Juno lights did you use? Are the rear housings exposed on the top of the soffit tray or did you build backer boxes? It almost seems like they should be poking out above the tray but still in front of the plywood facing from my last question.


Thanks and hopefully that makes sense. Great build, BTW!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Pinky /forum/post/20913014


1. I'm following what you've done (I think!) up until this part but a few pages later, you've added the rope light and covered the bottom of the soffit in commando cloth and there's a picture where you've got the rope light on and it looks like the light is shining onto what WOULD be the plywood in this picture that rests against the ceiling but it looks smooth like painted drywall, so I'm confused. Did you cover the plywood in this picture?

Yes, I added a layer of drywall onto that plywood face that you see in that picture, and mudded the junction with the ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Pinky /forum/post/20913014


2. Which Juno lights did you use? Are the rear housings exposed on the top of the soffit tray or did you build backer boxes? It almost seems like they should be poking out above the tray but still in front of the plywood facing from my last question.

They're not Juno lights, they're from Commercial Electric - 3" halogen fixtures, Home Depot and Lowes carry them: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 .


The housings actually don't land in the tray, so they don't stick up through the tray - they're in the "enclosed" side of the soffit. 14" wide plywood was screwed to the bottom of what you see above, with 8" on the "inside", and 6" on the "outside" - give or take. The fixtures are mounted through a hole on that 8" "inside" part. Then a narrow furring strip went on the back side next to the wall, insulation went in, and fabric was stretched and stapled over the whole thing. Let me know if that doesn't make sense, maybe a drawing would help if not.


Thanks for the thumbs up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,557 Posts
Wow Brad, incredible build thread and your color choice and sense of style for the theater is excellent. I am truly impressed. m Amazing to think it was a garage not that long ago, huh? Anyway, maybe I didn't see the response but in quite a few of the screenshot pics you have there seems to be light bleed on the upper right of the framing around the screen. Is that just a camera artifact or is there something else going on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/20914610


Wow Brad, incredible build thread and your color choice and sense of style for the theater is excellent. I am truly impressed. m Amazing to think it was a garage not that long ago, huh? Anyway, maybe I didn't see the response but in quite a few of the screenshot pics you have there seems to be light bleed on the upper right of the framing around the screen. Is that just a camera artifact or is there something else going on?

Oh, that's a reflection off the piano hinge that the screen is supported by. It will be covered once I add the panels around the screen.


Thanks for the kudos!


Here's a before and (almost) after for fun:



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #698
Haha, you know it - will be even better when I can remove that "almost" of course! That damn projector temptress has me its its grasp though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Ahhh thats what I was looking for - an almost complete photo!



Looks great so far. How is the piano hinge working out - any shots with the screen up? I plan on doing the same.
 

·
RETIRED theater builder
Joined
·
34,244 Posts




Brad the finished space looks great. I do see a major problem in this picture.


You've set up the projector in what looks like a temporary manner. We all know this is a big issue leading to weeks or months of delay in actually finishing the last 5%. Enjoy. I sat in my theater watching movies for over a year before I got the carpet installed.
 
681 - 700 of 973 Posts
Top