AVS Forum banner

701 - 720 of 973 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,048 Posts
omg my jaw dropped at seeing that picture of the seats and projector/ almost finished product? ITS BEAUTIFUL! Well done! I look forward to seeing more pictures!


-Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet /forum/post/20915782


How is the piano hinge working out - any shots with the screen up? I plan on doing the same.

So far so good - but haven't had to lift it much - I'll take a picture with the screen up when I get a chance. I still need to make some sticks to hold it open with, have just been using a couple scraps from the wood pile, need something that fits into like sockets on both ends, so it won't fall out. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20915904




Brad the finished space looks great. I do see a major problem in this picture.


You've set up the projector in what looks like a temporary manner. We all know this is a big issue leading to weeks or months of delay in actually finishing the last 5%. Enjoy. I sat in my theater watching movies for over a year before I got the carpet installed.

Thanks Big - definitely enjoying it! And am into the months as far as delay, but everyone else thinks its done, so I can take my time. I need a newer picture though, I did at least do a proper ceiling mount, and finish that back panel behind the projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/20915985


omg my jaw dropped at seeing that picture of the seats and projector/ almost finished product? ITS BEAUTIFUL! Well done! I look forward to seeing more pictures!


-Kevin

Thanks Kevin - there are more pictures a few pages back, and shoot some more when I get everything buttoned up, or at least the screen wall panels in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,048 Posts
Looking at the other pictures right now...wow...just extremely well done!


You said you were from torrance cali?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #705

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/20918697


Looking at the other pictures right now...wow...just extremely well done!


You said you were from torrance cali?

Thanks Kevin. You're welcome to come by sometime if you want to check things out. I work in Irvine, so I pass by you every day (well, within ten miles anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/20918782


I'm going to have to drop by sometime and check this thing out.


When are you going to order your chief mount?

You know you're welcome any time you're in the neighborhood, which I'm sure is just all the time.
And I swear I do have it ceiling mounted, I guess I better post some photographic evidence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20918566


So far so good - but haven't had to lift it much - I'll take a picture with the screen up when I get a chance. I still need to make some sticks to hold it open with, have just been using a couple scraps from the wood pile, need something that fits into like sockets on both ends, so it won't fall out. Any ideas?

An idea I had, although did not think it thoroughly through, is to use an eye bolt on the screen and/or ceiling and then have a hook or chain that could be used from the screen to ceiling. Of course you would have to have the eye bolt on a ceiling joist and wouldn't want it to be distracting ... anyway, just a thought which I haven't put much design effort into.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20919398


Thanks Kevin. You're welcome to come by sometime if you want to check things out. I work in Irvine, so I pass by you every day (well, within ten miles anyway).




You know you're welcome any time you're in the neighborhood, which I'm sure is just all the time.
And I swear I do have it ceiling mounted, I guess I better post some photographic evidence.

ahh the city of Irvine! My father works near the backbay area lol. I would love to check out your amazing set up sometime! Thank you for the generous offer. I'll be at Camp Pendleton for sometime till next week but if you are free to demonstrate your system after that, that would be awesome.


Back to the theatre, I wasn't able to catch it but how will you be playing content? HTPC?


-Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Brad,


Great job with the theater. It looks awesome! I like your choice of earth tone colors you selected. It really looks sharp. I am sure it sounds as good as it looks.


All of your hard work shows in the end result...


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #709

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet /forum/post/20919547


An idea I had, although did not think it thoroughly through, is to use an eye bolt on the screen and/or ceiling and then have a hook or chain that could be used from the screen to ceiling. Of course you would have to have the eye bolt on a ceiling joist and wouldn't want it to be distracting ... anyway, just a thought which I haven't put much design effort into.

Forgot to say thanks for the suggestion - I had been thinking of supporting it from the bottom, off the false wall frame, like a car hood - but supporting it from the top, off the ceiling, is a good alternative (and would keep the supports from being kicked out while working behind the screen), assuming I could find a way to hide the hooks or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/20919829


ahh the city of Irvine! My father works near the backbay area lol. I would love to check out your amazing set up sometime! Thank you for the generous offer. I'll be at Camp Pendleton for sometime till next week but if you are free to demonstrate your system after that, that would be awesome.


Back to the theatre, I wasn't able to catch it but how will you be playing content? HTPC?


-Kevin

Been kind of hectic at work and family stuff on the weekends, but hopefully we can get to it soon - PM me the weekends that are good for you.


Oh, as far as source, I have a Bluray player and an HD DVD player connected right now - and a 1 TB external USB drive connected to the Bluray player, as it can play mkv/mp4. I also have an XBMC HTPC in the works, hopefully can get that set up in the HT soon - ordered an IR receiver, so I can program the Harmony remote and control it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 /forum/post/20920234


Brad,


Great job with the theater. It looks awesome! I like your choice of earth tone colors you selected. It really looks sharp. I am sure it sounds as good as it looks.


All of your hard work shows in the end result...


Jim

Thanks Jim!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,317 Posts
Someday I assume some sort of progress and/or updates will be attached to the above post/comment from you Brad. Until then enjoy your 90% finished theater while the rest of us try to get passed the 65% finished mark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
Haha I deserved that. I am tempting Logan, but he hasn't taken the bait yet.


I actually did make a little progress this weekend - I built the frames for the panels on the sides of the stage, and covered one, using Commando Cloth, since I still have a ton of it (they sent me way more than I ordered). At first I thought it looked terrible, it was puckering on the sides - but I hoped that it was because I hadn't braced the middle, so I added a brace, and it pulled all the dimples out, and I ended up pretty happy with it. Still need to cover the other one. I'll take pictures when I have the rest of the panels up.


And I received a nice box from partsexpress - driver for THT LP #2 - need to make a run to Lowes to pick up three sheets of arauco ply.


Also upgraded my HTPC with two 2 TB internal drives, and updated XBMC, and ordered an IR receiver - will program the Harmony to control it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,705 Posts
Ya know, you can talk about progress all that you want, but without pictures who is going to believe you? I'm just sayin'. Oh, and nothing good comes from tempting Logan.


Regards,


RTROSE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Nice Work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/21002865


dan?

+1


dan??



Maybe "Dan" is "Brad's" alter ego........or.........maybe "Brad's" real name is "Dan"!!



I almost feel as if we dont really know who this Brad/Dan guy is.......just goes to show you that just when you think you know somebody then BOOM!!


Almost makes me want to ask...............

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #718

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/20968101


Ya know, you can talk about progress all that you want, but without pictures who is going to believe you? I'm just sayin'. Oh, and nothing good comes from tempting Logan.


Regards,


RTROSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/20972852


I agree. For all I know, that projector is still humming next to your headrests.

I promise this is my last post without pictures - I'll take some tonight of my getting closer to completed screen wall. Watched a movie last night with my wife - she didn't notice the panels. Lol, guess its just a guy thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP /forum/post/20995006


Nice Work!

Thanks Ozzie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perensen /forum/post/21002405


Great work dan i read all 24 pages of your adventure...

whats the price tag so far!!!

Pm me if your wife reads this forum, lol.

Thanks Jake! And on the price tag - I ain't tellin' - that's the way we do things here, its a secret kept not only from our wives, but also from others who may follow, lest they discover how much it will cost THEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/21002865


dan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve /forum/post/21003352


+1


dan??



Maybe "Dan" is "Brad's" alter ego........or.........maybe "Brad's" real name is "Dan"!!



I almost feel as if we dont really know who this Brad/Dan guy is.......just goes to show you that just when you think you know somebody then BOOM!!


Almost makes me want to ask...............


Hi

my name is

what

my name is

who

my name is

Chika chika chika

dirty dan




Actually though, my dad's name was Dan, and my son's middle name is Daniel. Trippy, dude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,705 Posts
Stop teasing us already and post some pictures already!


Sheesh!


Regards,


RTROSE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #720
No top panel yet, but bottom left and right are done.





 
701 - 720 of 973 Posts
Top