AVS Forum banner

901 - 920 of 973 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have samples of all three and just took them all for a test drive. I would say that Broadcast falls between FR701 (most transparent) and Anchorage (least transparent).

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #902
^^ that sounds right to me too ^^

·
Registered
667 Posts
For what it's worth, I just covered some large wall panels in GOM Anchorage, in preparation to put OC 703 inside. With all the fabric on the walls, even without the OC 703 insulation installed, the room is noticeably "more dead". Being "acoustically transparent" I expected to not notice much change until I inserted the OC 703. Least transparent is right

Paul

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #904

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarmouche  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/900#post_22410341

For what it's worth, I just covered some large wall panels in GOM Anchorage, in preparation to put OC 703 inside. With all the fabric on the walls, even without the OC 703 insulation installed, the room is noticeably "more dead". Being "acoustically transparent" I expected to not notice much change until I inserted the OC 703. Least transparent is right

Paul

Interesting Paul - I didn't find that to be the case with the Broadcast fabric I'm using. For example, without insulation, during MCACC calibration pink noise test bursts, slap echo is still noticeable.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I got my sample of Broadcast and it is good in the blow test and holding up to a monitor screen. Anchorage is not that transparent. Look at the specs on GOM.

I am going with Broadcast Chinchilla on the upper wall and Anchorage Aubergine on the bottom 2' of wall. I averted WAF to going Aubergine in the whole room, due to acoustical performance.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
And you my friend thought for a second that you weren't going to make the cut?!?!?!?! Haha well your wrong!!! Havent been around AVS in months and suddenly got a hankerin' to stop bye and say hi to some old friends. Hope things are well with you. And please tell me where you have been on MW3?? Havent seen you in a while let alone had the opportunity to play with you. Are you jumping on the Blops2 bandwagon?? I think I'll give it a whirl.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #908
Thanks for dropping by guys - here, have a beer!

I still play MW3 sometimes, but not as often I guess - I'll definitely be picking up BLOP2, I'm a sucker for punishment. I usually check to see who's online, but haven't seen you lately either - sometimes I'll see you were on earlier in the day, but went offline already - time zone deal I guess - I usually play around 9pm or so (pacific time).

Steve, I see you're having a nice football season thus far, based on your facebook posts!

Craig, did you dive into the SEOS building yet, or still surveying the options? I'm almost done with mine, just waiting for a back ordered inductor so I can finish the crossovers for speaker #2 and #3. Then I need to figure out how to set them up in the room - something tells me the rubbermaid shelving I have now won't be beefy enough for three 75+ lb speakers.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Thanks Brad! Very tasty!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #911
Can't say I really have any complaints - just enjoying the hobby, which now includes speaker building

·
Registered
5,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/900#post_22482689

Craig, did you dive into the SEOS building yet, or still surveying the options? I'm almost done with mine, just waiting for a back ordered inductor so I can finish the crossovers for speaker #2 and #3. Then I need to figure out how to set them up in the room - something tells me the rubbermaid shelving I have now won't be beefy enough for three 75+ lb speakers.

Brad,

This is a challenge that I would really like to take on, still pondering the decision to build some SEOS boxes this winter. One of the deciding factors for me will be how to "size/configure/orient" a box for my center channel?

I do not have an AT screen and am limited to 20" of height under my screen.....

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Is it too early to compare the SEOS to the CHT speakers?

What I really want to see is a thorough side-by-side comparison of measurements. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a set of PRO/SHO-10s, mostly since I don't think I could build the cabinets, but I'm very interested to see what sort of performance each is capable of (particularly off-axis and around the crossover). I'm not asking you to do that if you don't want to, but if you have the data, I, for one, would love to see it.

Fred

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Was there any issue with them filling the room or was your THT Subs to much for them? I am a little way off and if DIY is the way to go then I may jump out there. Rythmik now has DYI kits for their subs and amps what do you think of these Rythmik has verry good reviews on their subs I am thinking building your own with their guts may be the way to go.

15” subs http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1500driver.html

amps http://www.rythmikaudio.com/amplifiers.html

kits http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1500ci.html

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #915

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/900#post_22486297

Brad,

This is a challenge that I would really like to take on, still pondering the decision to build some SEOS boxes this winter. One of the deciding factors for me will be how to "size/configure/orient" a box for my center channel?

I do not have an AT screen and am limited to 20" of height under my screen.....

Hmm yeah that's tight - there is the Malcolm design - or could probably shoehorn a regular 10"+SEOS into that space, but not much room to spare if you want to elevate it or tilt it. No space above the screen I assume? Or there's always phantom center, but I guess that only gives one sweet spot, not good if you want to cover all the seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/900#post_22486664

Is it too early to compare the SEOS to the CHT speakers?

What I really want to see is a thorough side-by-side comparison of measurements. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a set of PRO/SHO-10s, mostly since I don't think I could build the cabinets, but I'm very interested to see what sort of performance each is capable of (particularly off-axis and around the crossover). I'm not asking you to do that if you don't want to, but if you have the data, I, for one, would love to see it.

Fred

I still plan on doing it, but haven't completed speaker #2 and #3 (waiting for back ordered part for crossovers).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/900#post_22487465

Was there any issue with them filling the room or was your THT Subs to much for them? I am a little way off and if DIY is the way to go then I may jump out there. Rythmik now has DYI kits for their subs and amps what do you think of these Rythmik has verry good reviews on their subs I am thinking building your own with their guts may be the way to go.

15” subs http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1500driver.html

amps http://www.rythmikaudio.com/amplifiers.html

kits http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1500ci.html

Nope, nothing like that, they perform admirably, and hold their own with the THTs. They are very sensitive, and can crank just on receiver power. Part of what I like about the hobby is getting to a nice setup for movies and music - and I definitely already have that; but the other part is learning and seeing what else you can try to push the envelope (within limits of your budget). The CHT speakers are an outstanding value, but there is always something more - so I'm out to see what I can get by investing in the next level of components.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Rhythmiks, but have never listened to one.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #917
For the Rhythmik driver to work in a THT, it's t/s specs would need to be sufficiently close to the recommended drivers. I'd think it would end up being more expensive though - the recommended 15" drivers are usually available for between 130 and 175.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #918
I guess I never posted a picture of my completed DIY LCRs - here they are - not in place behind the screen yet, but well, here they are anyway:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Bet you can't wait to get those back there. I'm assuming you have tested them. How do they sound compared to your SHO-10s?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Beautiful work on the speakers.

901 - 920 of 973 Posts