AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 973 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just notice your updates to the build thread! Good job on the clickable links to your build on page 1!!! Wish more avs'ers would do that. Why the upgrade up front, SHO's not quite cutting it?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/900#post_22570235

Bet you can't wait to get those back there. I'm assuming you have tested them. How do they sound compared to your SHO-10s?

Yeah for sure - I still want to do some more comparative measurements and critical listening between the SEOS and PRO-10/SHO-10, and easier to do that with the speakers sitting on the floor than behind the screen. So far they sound great, but I need a little more A/B testing to be able to put the difference into words - not used to being a speaker reviewer.
Initial thoughts: stronger in the crossover region, slightly more detailed, slightly improved dialog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by memmo  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/900#post_22570243

Beautiful work on the speakers.

Thanks memmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/900#post_22570588

Just notice your updates to the build thread! Good job on the clickable links to your build on page 1!!! Wish more avs'ers would do that. Why the upgrade up front, SHO's not quite cutting it?

Thanks - still working on the first post, a couple people had suggested I do it, because my thread does get conversational at times, which makes it more fun for the participants, but harder to sift through for those who just want the info.

The PRO-10/SHO-10/PRO-10 LCR has been working great, but I've gotten a little hooked on speaker building DIY, its fun - and upgraditis, just wanted to see what I could get by investing in higher end components for the LCR.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #924
Thanks Kroutch - hope to see your build someday soon too! And it reminds me I still need to take and post some more up to date pictures, and other little updates.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Brad a few questions for you. It may be in here but what is the distance from the wall to the back of your false wall and how do your SEOS fit back there? Do you have any pics of the SEOS in place yet? The reason I ask is I would really like to build some SEOS speakers but to do so I want to change my screen to AT as I also have a JamesTown screen so I would do the same as you and replace the originall with the AT material. I only have about 18" that I can push the false wall out though and am wondering if that will be enough? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #926
I didn't take any pictures of the SEOS speakers in place yet - I was too eager to try them out with the screen in place, and forgot to take pictures.

I placed the front of my false wall 24" from the real front wall; since the false wall is made of 2x3s, that puts the back edge of the false wall 21.5" away; minus 1" of fiberglas on the front wall, leaves 20.5" clear. My speaker enclosures are built quite deep, but since the screen sits on the front of the false wall, I'm still able to toe them in, although not quite enough depth to have them cross in front of the LP - built the speakers a little deeper than I should have really, but they still sound great set up the way they are.

So whether you can fit them will depend on the depth of the box you go for, and how much you want to toe them in, as well as the available space behind the wall.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Cheezit,

Which SEOS speakers are you considering? If you do the SEOS 12" speakers with the flat pack, they are only 14.5" deep. That would give you just enough gap between the front of the speaker and the back of the screen material (assuming the 18" takes you right against the screen).

·
Registered
665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/900_60#post_22829958

I didn't take any pictures of the SEOS speakers in place yet - I was too eager to try them out with the screen in place, and forgot to take pictures.

I placed the front of my false wall 24" from the real front wall; since the false wall is made of 2x3s, that puts the back edge of the false wall 21.5" away; minus 1" of fiberglas on the front wall, leaves 20.5" clear. My speaker enclosures are built quite deep, but since the screen sits on the front of the false wall, I'm still able to toe them in, although not quite enough depth to have them cross in front of the LP - built the speakers a little deeper than I should have really, but they still sound great set up the way they are.

So whether you can fit them will depend on the depth of the box you go for, and how much you want to toe them in, as well as the available space behind the wall.[/quote}
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/900_60#post_22830195

Cheezit,

Which SEOS speakers are you considering? If you do the SEOS 12" speakers with the flat pack, they are only 14.5" deep. That would give you just enough gap between the front of the speaker and the back of the screen material (assuming the 18" takes you right against the screen).

Thanks for the info Brad! I am thinking the Fusion Tempests which I am thinking with the 14.5" Depth I could just squeeze in that space with decent toe in.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/240#post_20075740

That panel removed, showing the ball part of the grill guides, and the corner lap joints.

Sorry if it's already answered in here, trying to use the search but doesn't seem to get me relevant results. Are these pretty much the same grill guides? Heavy Duty grill guides from parts express...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-367

Can't find these guys locally so putting an order in today just wanted to make sure they're not going to pull out with something a little chunkier than a speaker grill.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I'll answer for Brad, since I used the same ones. Yes, they are the heavy duty speaker grill guides from PE. If you are ordering a bunch, call them and ask for a bulk discount. That saved me quite a bit.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #931
Thanks Spaceman, yup those are the ones. Order a few extra in case a couple snap off, I've had a couple do that (and don't epoxy them in in case you do need to replace any - easy to do with a screwdriver and pliers).

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/930#post_23121463

Have any of you that use the ball type speaker grill attachments for panels noticed any audible vibration noises during heavy bass?

None here. They are pretty snug.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #935

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/930#post_23120822

How far is your front lights from screen? If you did it again would you have gone closer or further? Thanks

I think it was about 10" to the center of the can? Not sure, I can measure. It has worked fine, no second thoughts - but I honestly don't use them often at all. If I was going to change anything, I'd forego the last light can on the soffits on the sides, closest to the screen, since it washes some light on the screen, so I can't really run the soffit lights low during a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic  /t/1250265/pimp-my-garage/930#post_23121463

Have any of you that use the ball type speaker grill attachments for panels noticed any audible vibration noises during heavy bass?

No, I haven't had any issues with them from LFE shaking them. I do notice my closet door rattles at a certain frequency ("Pulse" for example), I need to add some weather stripping to tighten it up.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #937
Thanks for the drop in and bump zulu, I've definitely been enjoying it, and its still fun sometimes to just sit there, look around from the money seat, smile and say to yourself "wow, I actually built this". Still at a terminal 95%, I think every time I mark another little todo off the list, I think of something else to add to it. But that's OK, because the process is just as enjoyable as the never-finished result.

I still haven't added any swords to my HT though - those could come in handy if anyone wants to argue over the movie I picked.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #939
Hmm, I guess I might do something similar to what I went with, but probably would have gone for the SEOS-15s in plastic, and the 8 Ohm 2226H instead of 2226J. Or one of the Jeff Bagby SEOS designs? Hard to say without hearing them of course, I went in blind and I'm quite happy with the results. The SEOS-15 and the 2226H would be better on paper, but no idea if I could actually hear any difference, probably not. I don't play loud enough (-15 to -10) for the sensitivity to ever be an issue.

A 2.5 design would be cool too (two 15s), but would need even more help with crossover design.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I checked out your speaker build and I'm jealous !

More and more I'm thinking a DIY option makes sense - but being a noob I'm having a tough time understanding where I should start and what makes sense for me to incorporate into my theater build.

I'm not making and definitive plans until the room is constructed.

That should give me time to learn and make the right choice when the time is right.

921 - 940 of 973 Posts