AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been haunting this forum for a few weeks now trying to educate myself, but I think the time has come to call in the big guns for my speaker/sub selection.

Perhaps the title is a misnomer because my budget is a little low for a MacDaddy set-up, but I'm hopeful that I can get what I need in the $400-$500 range.

I currently have speakers and a sub that came from an LG HTIB set-up. To me, they sound fine, but I needed to get a new receiver because the sound would cut out when it got warm in the room in the summer time. I got a Denon 1910 receiver. Now I have this nice receiver and I feel like it's dumb to have the HTIB speakers, so I'm ready to take the next step.

My wish/needs list:

1) The room is 15 x 12 with 10 ft ceilings and will be predominantly used for movies. I do have a PS3, but that was purchased for the Blu-Ray, although I occasionally host Guitar Hero nights.

2) The room is an addition that I had wired for a 5.1 set-up, so all the wires I need to replace the 4 surround speakers and the center are already in the walls. I did that because I do not want exposed wires running all over the room. I also have speaker mounts in the walls that I don't want to remove because I know it will be months/years before I get around to patching and painting. So speakers that will go right into the mounts would be great.

3) My current sub is not powered so it is not optimized for my receiver (at least that's what I kind of understood from my friend who set up my reciever) - the ideal system would include a sub.

4) As in all things (don't kid yourselves gents), size matters. I don't want towers or big bookshelf-type speakers. Smaller is better, so long as they can just go on to the existing mounts. I'm not big on loud, loud - so I think I should be able to go small.

5) For my music set-up I currently have Klipsch speakers inside and Boston Acoustics outside and I like them both, but not married to either. There is a deal on Polk's RM510 5.1 system at Newegg, but from the look of those speakers, I would have to use their brackets -- that kind of turns me off. So, any brand is in the running as long as their speakers conform to my desired design.

6) I'm fully willing and will, actually audition all contenders -- I'm in an urban area, so I imagine I can go give a listen to just about any system prior to purchasing.

I think that's it. Thanks in advance to all who weigh in. I just want some strong opinions because the research I've been doing for the last few weeks has me more confused than ever.

--Sioux

1 - 2 of 2 Posts