AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing my first pinball machine but my research suggests I may spend more time fixing than playing.

I am planning to buy from a collector/dealer one that has been carefully restored. I was thinking an older EM type as it fits my age but one repair dealer said I would spend more time fixing than playing and he suggested a solid state one would be best.

I cannot seem to find info on which manufacturers and games have the best repair (least repair) record.

Not a lot of choice where I am but a Williams Liberty Bell (1977, I think) is available.

Any thought or comments would be appreciated. Is this mostly a fix and repair hobby or will I be able to go long periods of time playing and doing general maintenance? Is fixing EM's easy to learn or troublesome? Will repair cost quickly exceed initial expenditure? What am I getting into?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know... I had always heard the same thing.

After passing up some good deals I finally caved and bought my first pin a few years back. Since then, I have been through 4 different machines, all without issue. Two of the machines were EM and two were SS. Other than the occasional adjustments and a playfield cleaning my ownership has been uneventful. The current machines in my game area have been in my possesion for 2.5 years now and are played almost every day.

Are you a DIY repair person? EM would most likely be a little easier to repair due to the lack of circuit boards etc. Unless of course you are well versed in board repairs and trouble shooting. But, as I said, 2.5 years and no issues. Of course they will probably both explode since I typed this up :) On a side note, my vector vids have been uber troublesome, even after supposed bullet proofing.

Good luck!

Craig S

On a side note, all of my machines save one were Williams. The other machine was a Data East.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Craig,

After doing some more research and talking to a few others, I purchased an EM pinball game.

In one web fellow's opinion a new EM would outlast a new solid state. He also said that when troubles happen in a solid state they are likely to be more costly.

I considered myself a DIY until I lifted the playing field. I will let the collector I bought it from repair it until I feel more comfortable. I have a manual and repair book on order.

The EM is what I wanted as that is all there was in my day. I am more interested in having a piece of history and reminiscing than how challenging the game is.

Hope I have the same repair luck as you.

Mike S.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S.
Thanks Craig,

In one web fellow's opinion a new EM would outlast a new solid state. He also said that when troubles happen in a solid state they are likely to be more costly.

The EM is what I wanted as that is all there was in my day. I am more interested in having a piece of history and reminiscing than how challenging the game is.

Mike S.
I also feel that the EM will out last the solid state machine. I have both. The SS machine always seems to need a lttle extra attention. The EM machine needs the play time to activate the coils and 'sweep' the contact. This helps keep the contacts clean and playabilty up.

Here is a really good document to read.

http://www.marvin3m.com/em/index.htm

He has done a great job on this document. Lots of good info on keeping your machine alive and well. He also has one on SS machines.

Good luck with your machine.

Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.