AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd never seen a Williams Pinball 2000 format game. Found one on CList and drove 220 miles to check it out - VERY glad I did.


Designed by some of the best and brightest designers of the 90s I (and my adult son) thought this hybrid of traditional pin playfield action and projection/reflection 3D video effects was a great idea.


As is usual with many route games, this one was especially dirty - the Driver Board solidly coated with thick dust but I thought this was a diamond-in-the-rough and dragged it home this afternoon.


The simplicity of the component connectivity and modular design of the Pin2000 format is so superior to the wiring and connection design of the WPCs of the 90s and the Stern games of today. Just three plugs to connect the back box to the bottom box. Only six plugs to connect the playfield.


It'll take a day or two to get it all cleaned, waxed, burnt bulbs replaced and switches adjusted but I think it's going to be a lot of fun to play.


One point of this post is to share that if you are looking for a pin game for your home fun space please consider adding a Pin2000 game to your search criteria.


The pinball market is VERY soft right now making it perfect for buyers - I paid $1700 for the RFM and thought it a fair price.


Alas, only two Pin2000 games were made before Williams folded - Revenge From Mars and Star Wars Episode 1.

Happy Home Gaming to All!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/18311787


I'd never seen a Williams Pinball 2000 format game. Found one on CList and drove 220 miles to check it out - VERY glad I did.


Designed by some of the best and brightest designers of the 90s I (and my adult son) thought this hybrid of traditional pin playfield action and projection/reflection 3D video effects was a great idea.


As is usual with many route games, this one was especially dirty - the Driver Board solidly coated with thick dust but I thought this was a diamond-in-the-rough and dragged it home this afternoon.


The simplicity of the component connectivity and modular design of the Pin2000 format is so superior to the wiring and connection design of the WPCs of the 90s and the Stern games of today. Just three plugs to connect the back box to the bottom box. Only six plugs to connect the playfield.


It'll take a day or two to get it all cleaned, waxed, burnt bulbs replaced and switches adjusted but I think it's going to be a lot of fun to play.


One point of this post is to share that if you are looking for a pin game for your home fun space please consider adding a Pin2000 game to your search criteria.


The pinball market is VERY soft right now making it perfect for buyers - I paid $1700 for the RFM and thought it a fair price.


Alas, only two Pin2000 games were made before Williams folded - Revenge From Mars and Star Wars Episode 1.

Happy Home Gaming to All!


Thats a good price for that game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,658 Posts
Have you seen the documentary on these games?


I have it as a file if you are interested.... very interesting exploration of the last-ditch effort to save teh Williams Pinball franchise...


-sc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/18311787


Alas, only two Pin2000 games were made before Williams folded - Revenge From Mars and Star Wars Episode 1.

Happy Home Gaming to All!

Two future games for the platform were Wizard Blocks (designed by Pat Lawlor) and a Playboy game as well. Wizard Blocks playfields exist from what I have read, but the software isnt complete.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad I've got this one - at least, once I get it cleaned up a bit.


Does anyone have an opinion if it's worth trying to find a StarWars Episode One upgrade kit?


I've heard from a few that have Pin2000 games that of the two Revenge From Mars is the best BUT both my sons grew up as StarWars fans and I'm curious about that version of the game.


All info much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
SW1 is the lesser of the two and the least desirable. They can be still be found though. Try rec.games.pinball.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/18324922


Any specifics re why the SWE1 is less fun than the RFM?

Thanks

Not quite sure, its what people seem to say. I havent really followed the Pin2k games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's funny when you stumble into new game technology and then slowly begin to figure it all out and I've been buying pins for our home for over 34 years.


So I buy a Revenge From Mars - Pinball 2000 - the previous owner didn't have a clue about it - I dragged it home and only after a week realized that the game was running some default limited software version.


I finally figure out how to get hold of the last software release and update the game board's flash memory and suddenly this old game blossomed into what I had read it to be.


What a hoot to play - what a unique pin. Now I can finish up fixing a few minor things and WOW - Revenge From Mars is something much more special that we originally thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/18324922


Any specifics re why the SWE1 is less fun than the RFM?

Thanks

RFM is just funny and clever. Somewhat deeper rules and harder to beat.

SWE1 can get annoying after awhile but kids love it. Easy to beat.

You can locate NIB kits for about a grand. Still easily one of the best bang for the bucks out there.

Your "two game" system takes up little space and IMO is one of the best deals in Pinball.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would love to find a SWE1 NIB conversion kit including the playfield and Prism card for $1000.


Please anyone let me know someone selling one.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,658 Posts
You guys really need to watch the Pinball documentary on the Williams games I mentioned earlier... its very cool.


-sc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare /forum/post/18516230


You guys really need to watch the Pinball documentary on the Williams games I mentioned earlier... its very cool.


-sc

Do you have a link?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,658 Posts
The "correct" answer is here is the page where they are selling the DVD:

TILT .


You may find it from other sources as well...


-sc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't realize that SWE1 kits usually only include the PF, translite, and besides whatever else only ROMs. I probably wouldn't be happy with a "daughter" board.


Looks like the smart thing is to just be patient and wait for a complete SWE1 game to become available at an affordable price and get the entire package.


Still lovin' the RFM even with the AFM right beside it. "Martian Happy Hour" - LMAO!!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top