AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the best Marijuanna movies I have seen since Cheech & Chong, and thats been 30 years right?

The laughs are there, theres some thought provoking writing and great acting. Can you believe that actor on the right here is the same guy who played the young bad guy in Spiderman 2?

Yes thats James Franco ...

Seth Rogan (left) puts in another good comedy performance, the script is fairly nuanced, and they make it work! Theres several characters in this movie that are *somewhat* interesting, helping elevate it above the mediocre.

Theres violence and action, and some of it is funny .. but the action sequences do start to drag towards the end of the movie.

Amber Heard is the female lead, and she does a solid performance, shes pleasant to look at too.

... and her father is played by "Living with Ed" Bagely...its nice to see him in a flick!

I watched it on SD-DVD, and the quality was up to par for 2008, which means, its a damn good transfer.

This is a great rent if your looking for a stoner comedy, or just a comedy! While its far from perfect, the attitude and execution is damn good.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Watched it for the first time Friday night on SD DVD. It was a good transfer. James Franco repeated his role in this film in his appearance on SNL as Agent 420. It was funny.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Franco; ugh. One of the most untalented actors around....and he called Otto Octavius a hack.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Does this movie have tits?

·
Registered
9,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA /forum/post/15526658

Franco I thought did "brooding" very well Spiderman? You dont think so?

I thought his performance, or lack thereof, was overlooked because of Kirsten Dunst, who was even worse. That being said, Spidey 2 is still one of my favorite action films. Anyways, he seems to whine in every film he's in.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was somewhat disappointed in the film. The reviews I read had been mixed, but I thought, 'this the kind of movie I like, so I'll dig it.' But for the 1st half of the movie, I don't think I laughed once. I enjoyed it, but it didn't really make me laugh. To me, the jokes just seemed to fall flat. At one point I got out of the film, I felt I was watching some amateurish sketch in high school instead of a professional Hollywood movie.

It got funnier in the second half, as when they were driving the cop car.

I like Seth Rogan and think he's funny. Amber Heard is gorgeous. I thought James Franco did a good job as the pot dealer. Like I said, I enjoyed watching the film, but it just didn't seem that funny to me, except in parts. But maybe if I watch it again, and I'm in the right mood, it may seem funnier. Sometimes movies work that way for me. But on the other hand, I was in a good mood when I watched it the 1st time.

·
Registered
358 Posts
We watched this one a few nights ago and it was very funny. For some reason I laughed the most when Franco's character said "what's down there, the Rancor?" before being tossed down a hole. nobody else laughed at that line.. but I had a few glasses of bourbon in me, sooo... also, Red is the new Uncle Rico, imo. that guy was just too much!

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsm250 /forum/post/15529348

I was somewhat disappointed in the film. The reviews I read had been mixed, but I thought, 'this the kind of movie I like, so I'll dig it.' But for the 1st half of the movie, I don't think I laughed once. I enjoyed it, but it didn't really make me laugh. To me, the jokes just seemed to fall flat. At one point I got out of the film, I felt I was watching some amateurish sketch in high school instead of a professional Hollywood movie.

It got funnier in the second half, as when they were driving the cop car.

I like Seth Rogan and think he's funny. Amber Heard is gorgeous. I thought James Franco did a good job as the pot dealer. Like I said, I enjoyed watching the film, but it just didn't seem that funny to me, except in parts. But maybe if I watch it again, and I'm in the right mood, it may seem funnier. Sometimes movies work that way for me. But on the other hand, I was in a good mood when I watched it the 1st time.

Same here.

I'm old enough to have seen Cheech & Chong's "Up in Smoke" in the theater and like like stoner flicks enough to have caught most of them up to "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". (If there's any good ones after that, let me know what I missed.)

This one just fell a little flat for me. There were scenes that were funny and I did certainly have a few laughs, but some scenes just didn't work and seemed amatuerish.

The violence in it was a little surprising. It doesn't put me off, but you know, stoners just don't tote machine guns.

Cary

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/15527821

I thought his performance, or lack thereof, was overlooked because of Kirsten Dunst, who was even worse. That being said, Spidey 2 is still one of my favorite action films. Anyways, he seems to whine in every film he's in.

I thought Kirsten Dunst was overall magical in Spiderman 1 and 2 ... its true she isn't the greatest actress, but she owned the role.

Some movies can't be improved upon, I watched Star Wars 1 (The New Hope) last night, and every scene seems just perfect. Are the actors all geniuses? Nope but they did their part.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Instant classic within the "genre". I had to rewind several times because my uncontrollable laughter was drowning out the jokes.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Would somebody who's not in the, ahem, green gang, enjoy this movie?

·
Registered
4,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrikos /forum/post/15538806

I thought it was rather funny but may only be worth a rent. as I don't see watching it again for some time

·
Banned
9,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrikos /forum/post/15538806

Probably, though some small, yet surprisingly realistic subtleties might be lost on those that have never partaken. One example is the 19" LCD TV sitting atop the 27" console...sitting next to yet another SDTV that is the one actually being viewed. Hilarious!

In stark contrast to what others have voiced, what I enjoyed more than anything else was that the "stoner culture" was played out with knowledgeable precision, while the so-called "violence" was what was parodied and stereotyped. Those that thought it was "too violent" didn't get what seemed to me to be a painfully obvious joke, imo.

P.S. If you buy/rent the BD version, be sure to watch the special features! "Saul's Place" (or whatever it was called) and "Injury Report" was as good, if not better, than the actual film.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
The movie was entertaining, but never reached the hilarity factor of the first 2 C&C movies, which will make you laugh so hard you'll cry and fart at the same time.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm /forum/post/15532035

Same here.

I'm old enough to have seen Cheech & Chong's "Up in Smoke" in the theater and like like stoner flicks enough to have caught most of them up to "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". (If there's any good ones after that, let me know what I missed.)

The first Harold and Kumar is ten times funnier than Jay and Silent Bob, IMO.

Loved Pineapple Express in the theater, looking forward to watching it again on disc. Franco brings back the stoner charm he displayed in Freaks and Geeks, and Danny McBride is my new favorite comedic actor even if Foot Fist Way was a bit of a disappointment for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts