AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question and I have a general idea of what the problem is but I need a little more info on this particular problem about the one thing I dislike most about LCD projectors.

I have a Panasonic ae2000 (152hrs), ax200 (385 hrs), and a ae900 (560 hrs). All three have a reddish pinkish discoloration on a white or light gray background. During Normal viewing it is not obvious but during scenes with a lot of white light the discoloration is slightly noticeable and during videgaming like NHL 09 more annoying. I remember with the ae2000 it had the slight discoloration out of the box but it wasnt that bad. The ax200 and ae900 seemed to develop the problen during the life of the projector. Is this caused by a polarizer going bad, a misaligned lcd panel (red im assuming), both or something else.

I made the mistake of leaving my ae2000 on for about 12 hours straight when I first bought it only to find out later that you shouldnt run the projector for > 6 hours straight according to the manual. Is it the prolonged use and heat that is causing this phenomenom or could it be the lcd panels moving out of alignement over time. Going forward I am never going to run any lcd projector for longer than 4 hours on any given day because I think the heat could be damaging something inside. I know old crt rear projection tvs used to give the user the ability to move the red/green/blue lights to correct any r/g/b alignement problems. Why cant the same be done with LCD projectors and why are they always slightly off or have I just had bad luck with all three projectors? I would hate to see what the picture looks like when they approach the 1000-2000 hour mark...Also I thought inorganic LCD panels were suppose to help eliminate picture degradation over time. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/17053081

Is it just even across the whole screen? If so, it sounds like it might be a calibration issue. Grayscale set to D65 will fix that (or should anyways).

No it is not across the whole screen. The ae2000 it runs vertically about 4 inches wide slightly to the right of the center to the screen , the ax200 it is on the left hand side of the screen top to bottom in a larger area and on my ae900 it runs horizontally along the bottom of the screen about 4-5 inches high.

Also when I switch from color/cinema mode to normal mode on the ae2000 the reddish/pinkish color almost entirely dissappears. It is almost like the cooler color temperature is getting rid of the discoloration or is it from the removal of the color filter from the light path?

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Spyder /forum/post/17053185

No it is not across the whole screen. The ae2000 it runs vertically about 4 inches wide slightly to the right of the center to the screen , the ax200 it is on the left hand side of the screen top to bottom in a larger area and on my ae900 it runs horizontally along the bottom of the screen about 4-5 inches high.

Also when I switch from color/cinema mode to normal mode on the ae2000 the reddish/pinkish color almost entirely dissappears. It is almost like the cooler color temperature is getting rid of the discoloration or is it from the removal of the color filter from the light path?

LCD projectors are notorious for white field uniformity problems like this. It is one of the primary deficiencies of the technology.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman /forum/post/17053244

LCD projectors are notorious for white field uniformity problems like this. It is one of the primary deficiencies of the technology.

So I guess I can expect the problem to get worse over time because I dont recall two of my LCDs having this problem out of the box. Is it a flaw in the LCD panel itself worsening over time due to light and heat? I was hoping inorganic lcd panels were going to fix this problem.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Spyder /forum/post/17053185

I have developed a similar issue with my Panny 3000... vertical pink coloration on the left side of the screen using the 'color 1' setting (same for the other color and cinema settings). Pretty much goes away using the 'normal' setting. I wonder if Panny would replace the color filter under warranty?

Contrast appears higher using normal, but the colors are slightly off, after triming the color control down to -4.

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts