AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a Knoll HT-211 DLP Projector and the manual shows that I can feed it the component output of my DVD player via it's 15 pin D-sub RGB/YCbCr input by means of an adapter. The problem is the cost of this 3 RCA's to a 15 pin D-Sub adapter is $ 125 if I purchase it from Knoll. I am very familar with data cabling and assume this would be rather easy to make myself if I knew the pin out configuration. I was hoping someone could provide the pin out info to me so I can take a crack at it.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

------------------

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is quite a common cable (VGA)- so many computer stores and mabye Radio S. got them.

I use "VGA->3BNC" plus converter to RCA to interface my DVD.

But you can use "VGA->5BNC" or "VGA->4BNC" as well witout any problems.

For component output then just connect the Red, green and Blue - and keep the white/gray and black disconected when using a VGA->5BNC cable (the most common to find in a computer store)

Just remember that the Projector needs to support "COMPONENT" input via the 15pin VGA cable.

Best regards

Kasper

------------------

-------------

Denon AV1SE

Panasonic 42"Plasma

Pioneer 737 DVD

Stewart 16:9 100" Grayhawk

Sony 10HT (temporary)

·
Registered
65 Posts
CVanMeter,

Welcome to the forum! I have the same senario as you. I already had a 25' VGA-VGA cable so yesterday I made up the HD15-3xRCA breakout. The Pinout is 1(red +), 2(Green +), 3(blue +), 6(red -), 7(green -), 8(blue -). What I did was just buy the HD15 connector at Radio Shack and I grabbed two RCA audio cables (gold). I cut the cables in half resulting in four cables with RCA on one end and bare wire on the other -- used three of them and soldered away -- worked great.

If you are building a cable from scratch - consider using the Mr.Wiggles technique! I'm going to try it next. Read this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006683.html

Regards,

Drew

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses to my question. I think I will try making it myself. I think with a bit of altering of the D-sub housing I should be able to get 3 RG-59 cables to fit. I will just be running a few feet to tie into the RG-6 Cables that I have running some 20 feet to the equipment location. I wish I would have found this forum before I decided to jump in and be a wanna-be do-it-yourselfer. After reading some of the different post. I think I could have gotten more for my $6 grand than I did with the Knoll that I purchased and I definitely could have used tips from the experts and experienced when it came to the pre-wiring for a projector.

Thanks again for the great info and your time to respond

------------------

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.