AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does everyone here notice how with this receiver when listening to any source that you kind of have to RIDE the volume buttons up and down....

ive ran the auto set up and then tweaked to my likings...

i watch most things around -20-30db depending on time of day....but the levels will jump at say -25 from normal vocal levels to surround and sub just going crazy LOUD.....is there some kind of built in compresser/limiter im missing to keep levels somewhat moderate?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDheadedGRL
Does everyone here notice how with this receiver when listening to any source that you kind of have to RIDE the volume buttons up and down....

ive ran the auto set up and then tweaked to my likings...

i watch most things around -20-30db depending on time of day....but the levels will jump at say -25 from normal vocal levels to surround and sub just going crazy LOUD.....is there some kind of built in compresser/limiter im missing to keep levels somewhat moderate?
I have the Pioneer 1014 which I believe most of the settings are the same as the 1015. I do not have this problem you are experiencing.

Go into System Setup, and choose Other Setup, and make sure Dynamic Range Control Setup is 'Off'

Good Luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I also noticed the same thing with watching movies when I had the Pionner VSX-D811 AVR. The dialogue seemed to be small and I had to turn it way up but when an explosion scene comes along I have to turn it down again. You might want to adjust the speaker levels. I normally set the centre speaker a few increments higher then the other channels for a some what clearer dialogue.

The Pioneer being a bass heavy AVR for HT doesn't help the situation as it overpowers and muffles the dialogue. This is one of the reason I upgraded to one of the Panasonic Digital Amp Receivers. The Pioneer inconsistent sound for both HT and music listening even after months and months of tweaking (and yes I have tried calibrating it with a SPL meter and change room acoustics) basically got me fed up. The Panasonic offered a more balanced, detailed and consistent sound for both HT and music purposes.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
You might consider watching a movie using one of the night listening modes. This should allow for the dialogue to be a bit balanced out, while keeping control over the rest of the volume.

Quote:
The Pioneer being a bass heavy AVR for HT doesn't help the situation as it overpowers and muffles the dialogue. This is one of the reason I upgraded to one of the Panasonic Digital Amp Receivers. The Pioneer inconsistent sound for both HT and music listening even after months and months of tweaking (and yes I have tried calibrating it with a SPL meter and change room acoustics) basically got me fed up. The Panasonic offered a more balanced, detailed and consistent sound for both HT and music purposes.
I couldn't agree with you more there. Theater was quite good with the Pioneer, but led me wanting more from music. Haven't tried the digital Panny with a movie, yet, but the music is oh so sweet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.