AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Pio 1018 and now need a soundbar for over the mantle and under the tv. Room is rectangular, but everything is centrally located in the dead center of the room against the side wall with seating 11 ft away up against the other wall. The room is then 12 ft on either side of the seating to the exterior walls. The far corners of interior wall that the seating is up against open to either the kitchen or the entry way.

With this in mind is the soundbar an option for decent sound? This is for general TV watching and kids flicks as the basement will have a more dedicated theater set up.

If indeed the Polk 42" soundbar is an option will I have any issues running it with my 1018 or should I look into other applications? Budget is around the $500 mark.

Currently I'm without any sound so your suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Seems like a quality AVR is a waste when using a sound bar. If I had to compromise THAT much I think I'd consider something like the powered Altec Lansing sound bar currently on sale at Sears and forgo the AVR.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the AVR is more for management of the PS3, VCR (Kid's Library movies), Cable HD/DVR, and HD DVD player.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Does your display not have enough inputs? If not, a remote-controlled HDMI switch and a Harmony would a much easier and less expensive solution.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has the inputs, but it's on the main level above the fireplace and the components are all below in the basement. When I just had the HD DVD player and the HD/DVR two 12 ft HDMI cables ran from the basement...through the wall...to the tv. All controlled by a Monster 300 remote. So basically, with what I got going to the tv already I'd like to just hook everything to the 1018 and be done. As of now though I'm only getting video, not sound. Granted nothing in the way of speakers is hooked to the AVR but I figured the tv speakers would come on. Is this reciever not a complete passthrough? That's why I'm looking at the soundbar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I've discovered why I'm not getting any sound currently. While searching the Pio 1018 owners thread it seems you have to turn off the amps to get the passthrough. Now once I add the soundbar I'll reverse that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts