AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOnt know which to get. I have the pio, and it sounds good, little bright, but Im still tweaking the settings. I know the denons are good, but dont know what to do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkj69 /forum/post/14277665


DOnt know which to get. I have the pio, and it sounds good, little bright, but Im still tweaking the settings. I know the denons are good, but dont know what to do?

The only thing to be concerned with is whether 2 HDMI ports is a issue on the 988, otherwise IMHO the Denon 2808/988 series is a music lovers AVR, and pretty impressive for movie audio playback also. Who wants to pay almost MSRP compared to getting a receiver at a good discount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV /forum/post/14277695


...Who wants to pay almost MSRP compared to getting a receiver at a good discount.

I totally agree. I'm in the same boat here. I've considered the Pio 1018. I like the look of it and people seem to be pretty excited about it. But you can't find it below the MSRP.

So I'm considering the Denon 988 (which is going for super cheap at CC right now), or Onkyo's 805, maybe 705.


I'm getting it more for movies over music, but definitely will appreciate the music sounding good when I use it for that.


Any suggestion of one over the other?

My speaker setup isn't awesome - basically a set of 5 jbl's that cost me about $500 at BB.

That'll probably be the next upgrade in a year or two.


Thanks for any ideas!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,407 Posts
Keep in mind the 988 is on clearance at CC - so you'll need to call around to see who has them. I had to drive about an hour to get it yesterday. If you're thinking of getting it soon, get it ASAP. An easy way of figuring out who has them is to add the receiver to your shopping cart on CConline, then choose in-store pickup and the stores that have them in stock are your choices to pick them up.


Note that most other stores only have the display at this point.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV /forum/post/14277695


The only thing to be concerned with is whether 2 HDMI ports is a issue on the 988, otherwise IMHO the Denon 2808/988 series is a music lovers AVR, and pretty impressive for movie audio playback also. Who wants to pay almost MSRP compared to getting a receiver at a good discount.

Are there any HDMI issues with this unit? I have a Panasonic Blu Ray player and a Panasonic Plasma. I only need ONE HDMI input that WORKS, with no picture problems. I have a small listening area and listen at moderate to low volume levels. I just want to take advantage of the new audio codecs that are on blu ray.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath /forum/post/14285610


Keep in mind the 988 is on clearance at CC - so you'll need to call around to see who has them. I had to drive about an hour to get it yesterday. If you're thinking of getting it soon, get it ASAP. An easy way of figuring out who has them is to add the receiver to your shopping cart on CConline, then choose in-store pickup and the stores that have them in stock are your choices to pick them up.


Note that most other stores only have the display at this point.

Good point. I checked and there is a store about 20 minutes away that has some in stock. I just don't know if I'll regret not getting the 1909, with it's volume control feature.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top