AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another this vs. that thread, but I searched and haven't really found enough insight to clear this choice up. Here's the situation:

I have a 7.1 set of rocket speakers. The 750s, 200, 300s, and waiting for two 550s for rear surrounds. A few of these have 4 ohm impedences (the 300s) but they aren't used as fronts or rears so will get less output demand (right?). The 750s are power hungry and avg ~6ohms.

I want the best 7ch processing possible and I'm not really comfortable with the differences between alot the different methods these receivers use (logic7 vs. ?) etc...

The pros and cons as I see them now are:

47tx pros:

1) ultra2 cert (is this stereo rears?)

2) >power

3) Mcacc (auto adjust eq)

4) has7 channels of amplification

5)?

Cons:

1) costs more

2) difficulty w/ high stress load??? This might not be true and is part of why I'm posting this

3) ?

AK8000 Pros:

1) logic 7

2) nice looking

3) cheaper

4) seems popular while the pio doesn't get much press here

5) ?

Cons:

1) only 5 channel amp

2) no auto eq

3) worried about the surround outputs as per the avr520s etc...

4) ?

Thanks a ton everyone,

Rob

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rob,

I have the 47tx and the Rocket 750's, 200, 150's and 300's. I am no audiophile but I can tell ya that I am very happy with the 47tx and have had no problems with this receiver at all, except that it so big that it takes up two of my shelves on my Bello stereo rack.:D It needs eight inches of clearance above it because of heat issues.

I have had the volume up to 10+ db and no problems. If I were to go any higher I'll loose what's left of my hearing. (Too many rock concerts!)

I looked at pricegrabber and it looks like it is difference of $200 more for the 47tx.

This was probably not very helpful but I thought I would let you know that a 47tx can definitely drive the Rockets well.

--Paul

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ComputerAddict!

That actually was very helpful and thanks for responding. I take it you like the sound of this unit? It's very helpful to know it goes that loud w/o shutting down.

I still anticipate asking your help on the htpc thing soon, so don't move out of town!!! :cool:

anyone else? I'm still assuming thx ultra2 is stereo in back, true?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The 47 has a higher banwidth for component switching, 30Mhz for the HK compared to the 40 for the 47. Ultra-2 means that there is no signal degration when doing video switching, also the receiver must be able to play at reference level in a room that is 3000 cubic feet. There are other requirements for Ultra-2 but I think these are the most important.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is 40mhz enough? also, what about bass management on each of these for dvda?

oh, and thanks Juan!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
You really only need 37.5Mhz for HD. I don't know about the HK but the 47 does not give you any bass management for SACD or DVD-A, you would have to step up to the 49TX for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.